May 19, 2024, 01:34 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The creators Cardboard T.A.R.D.I.S Build

Started by The Creator, Jan 18, 2014, 09:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Not sure if you have ever used it before but I found hot glue works pretty well for large size cardboard builds (not so good for small scale builds).

How i would do it would be to first attach gaffa tape to the back of one of the seams so that the shape hold itself properly. Get your hot glue gun to temperature (making sure it is resting on scrap card as it tends to leak a bit).

When up to temperature, grab your console and slightly open up the seam so you can glue along it. Close back together and hold while it dries. Once done, do the others.

Its more work but if you want your console to be a bit stronger, cover it in papier mache. Sure it takes longer but once dry it will give strength, particularly on any cardboard seams and cover anything you dont want to be seen.

Just a thought.

expendable

If using corrugated cardboard, try sandwiching 2-3 panels with the grain moving in different directions for strength. A coat of varnish over your sandwiched panels will help stiffen them too! Rough up the surface of the varnished panels with a bit of sand paper, then you can paint over them.

You might want to create templates on craft paper and cut all your holes before sandwiching.

Also, have you looked at corrugated plastic board? I've seen it used for signs, looks to be a little more durable.