May 15, 2024, 07:14 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

$5 fresnel lamp

Started by TWX, Oct 23, 2013, 04:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TWX

Oct 23, 2013, 04:19 am Last Edit: Oct 26, 2013, 12:25 am by mechanoid
Well, in my searching for a Fresnel, I found that Lowes has a $4.97 wall lamp with a Fresnel and a usable top that I'm turning into my base.

Portfolio 7-1/2-in White Semi Gloss Outdoor Wall Light

In case that link stops working, it's Item number 156460, Model number FY05-005WH.  There's also a black one, Item number 156459,  Model number FY05-005BLK-M.

donor-light.jpg

In the store I went to they had a dozen of each.  They're in plain white cardboard boxes, and none of them are actually on display.

I didn't see any equivalent at Home Depot, but for all I know I didn't look in the right place.

Playing with the light parts after separating the two metal parts looked promising...

playing-with-light.jpg

I ended up using a different lighting fixture part from something else, can't remember what, to use for the dome.  I also got 3/16" smooth rod and die-threaded it with #10-24 threads, for acorn nuts at the top and for where it'll thread into fasteners sunk into the wooden plate at the apex of the roof.

lamp-top.jpg

The threaded tube for the wiring is from Ace, basically it's the largest diameter, longest length in that diameter that they had.  There are two nuts holding it to the white metal part, and that fixture clamp will be below the wood on the top.

lamp-wiring-base.jpg

The top dome and the glass won't actually touch each other.  To change bulbs I'll have to pull the acorn nuts, slide the top off, and then pull the little screws that hold the glass in place.

lamp-pre-paint.jpg

It's not perfect, but for probably all of $30 invested it'll do just fine.

Volpone

That's the one I've got. Actually I just bought the replacement glass for under $4.  The problem with it is, it is about 1/2 size of the proper lamp.  For the average person, who doesn't spend a lot of time on this forum, nitpicking details, it is perfect.  Since your build isn't to full size, it should work just fine too--possibly better than the "proper" one.  I'm generally happy with mine--unless I see it from a distance.  Then it doesn't look quite right, but I'm not prepared to spend the kind of money it costs for the right one right now. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Senseidale

Can that lamp be brought in the UK can you give model number name so I can have a look, I am planning on building The Boy a Tardis wardrobe for his bedroom and that should be just the right size, I have been down sizing the plans to copy my box.
thanks
Regards Dale
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

galacticprobe

Oct 24, 2013, 02:41 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2013, 02:46 pm by galacticprobe
Here are quite a few to choose from via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=jelly+jar+lights&rh=n%3A2972638011%2Ck%3Ajelly+jar+lights

There are even more selections here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Ajelly+jar+light&page=2&keywords=jelly+jar+light&ie=UTF8&qid=1382625789

Ones like TWX is using - with the smooth cone-shaped side housing - are scattered about the pages in both links. I looked on Amazon UK and didn't see any results, but hopefully this Amazon will ship to the UK.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Senseidale

Thanks Dino your a Star
had a look on Amazon uk found a lamp called Litecraft - Outdoor Como Black Wall Light just might do the job £29.00 over $40 i think.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Litecraft-Outdoor-Como-Black-Light/dp/B003ZDG3KA/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382636348&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=jelly+jar+outside+lights#productDetails
Regards
Dale

"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

bockbockbox

Hi TWX!

We just bought the same light from Lowe's, but the two metal pieces are pretty solidly joined.

Any tips on how to separate?

Thanks!

galacticprobe

Feb 03, 2015, 06:26 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2015, 06:26 am by galacticprobe
Hey there, bock. (I may call you bock for short, mayn't I?) TWX hasn't logged in since November 2013. You may want to try sending him a PM. That will trigger an e-mail to him letting him know that someone wants to speak with him.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"