May 18, 2024, 05:36 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hendon Met Police Training School

Started by starcross, Apr 16, 2016, 07:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

starcross

Apr 16, 2016, 07:26 am Last Edit: Apr 16, 2016, 05:09 pm by starcross
I can't believe this hasn't already been added to the database for the Met Boxes.
After all we've known it was here for a long time, and that there is a PA3 Post also on the grounds.

Take a look at the training Police box on Parke Road on the Training Grounds.
I'm wondering what became of this Mark 2 (HB correct this Numbering), could this be the box that was given to Crich?

Source: British Pathe
Hendon - Mark 2 - 1965.jpg

Dalekoracle

Already discussed here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3729.0

It's a wonderful clip, isn't it? One of my favourites.

Maybe one of the mods could merge this into the original thread?

Mark

starcross

I see the issue, its not tied to the Database but there was a thread somewhere in this board.
I find searching the database makes it easier to find a thread when you spot something in a photo or a film to be able to quickly see if anyone else has posted it before.

I would recommend the that the Met Database, and the Glasgow database, start adding entries into the Database for Museum Preserved or Other Locations like this Training School. I started doing entries for the Various City of London Boxes in Museums, so as to be able to pull them up in a database search and see where they ended up on the Map.

Anyway just a thought.

hb88banzai

Apr 17, 2016, 02:59 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2016, 03:01 pm by hb88banzai
Quote from: starcross on Apr 16, 2016, 07:26 am
Take a look at the training Police box on Parke Road on the Training Grounds.
I'm wondering what became of this Mark 2 (HB correct this Numbering), could this be the box that was given to Crich?

Hendon - Mark 2 - 1965.jpg

Yes, this is a Mark 2, probably the same one that was originally installed in one of the classrooms when the first iteration of the College was founded in 1934. So no, this isn't the Mark 4 that was given to Crich. That was likely a Box taken from the North Circular Road circa 1970 (more on that shortly).

And yes, Hendon, and Peel House, and Earl's Court (and possibly even the Olympia Box) have to be added to the database, but Hendon is a bit complicated as there were at least three in use on the grounds (two of which are discussed in the above mentioned Topic), plus multiples in storage at various times, including the one that was eventually given to Crich.

hb88banzai

Quote from: starcross on Apr 16, 2016, 07:57 pm
I see the issue, its not tied to the Database but there was a thread somewhere in this board.
I find searching the database makes it easier to find a thread when you spot something in a photo or a film to be able to quickly see if anyone else has posted it before.

I would recommend the that the Met Database, and the Glasgow database, start adding entries into the Database for Museum Preserved or Other Locations like this Training School. I started doing entries for the Various City of London Boxes in Museums, so as to be able to pull them up in a database search and see where they ended up on the Map.

Anyway just a thought.

Well, actually, there are reasons not to put Museum preserved Boxes and Posts in any of the Databases. Firstly, there is already a Section of the Forum devoted to them here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=135.0

Though there is some inevitable crossover with Boxes and Posts that remain in (or were returned to) positions at or near their original locations, the fact remains that the Databases are more to do with the systems as they existed.

The Met Box Database and associated Met Box Catalog and Map, for instance, are more about Boxes and Posts that were (or are) in service - where they were, when they entered service, when removed, etc. While this can (and probably should) certainly be stretched to Training and other "in service" types, including those converted for Guard duty like another Box at Hendon (and briefly at Scotland Yard during the War) or the Mark 5 at Hendon used for field equipment storage, and even those that were very briefly in service in a way at the RadiOlympia and Ideal Homes Exhibitions in the late 1930s (where they were actually connected to a Police Station - Hammersmith, as I recall), to include those now residing in Museums would in many ways corrupt the data, at least to my mind. The Maps in particular are there to show the extent of the system, so to suddenly have a Met Box showing way up at Crich, or a CoL Post at Avoncroft just doesn't seem wise or useful.

Certainly open to discussion, but that's my take on things.

bfg1981

I don't recall seeing this on here before?

Richard.

1955-the-police-rn-their-job-accident-procedure-a-class-of-recruits-f8050w.jpg

hb88banzai

Aug 13, 2016, 12:58 pm #6 Last Edit: Aug 14, 2016, 03:00 pm by hb88banzai
No, don't think it's been posted yet. It's a press photo. I've had an original copy for awhile now, but haven't had a chance to scan it yet.

Interesting that Alamy.com now has a copy.