News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way Communicator Build

Started by elkad, Jun 29, 2019, 03:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Jun 29, 2019, 03:01 pm Last Edit: Jun 29, 2019, 03:06 pm by elkad
Reference: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9782.0

I made all the pieces quite easy out of flatten thick PVC pipe, the button / knob is a lathed wood rod. (I could have got a hole plug for furniture at the hobby store , but I didn't think of it at the time. Besides, I like to use what I have now, instead of buying alot more & doing nothing with it.)

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (1).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (2).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (3).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (4).jpg

This flatten wire is my backup grill encase I can't find a way to make a more convincing part.

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (5).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (6).jpg

I cut out a piece of PVC to make a inner compartment for the circuit board. Looking back at the references, this circuit board must of bin cut from a thin ply board or plastic sheet. The best I can think of doing is thinly cut wood dowel, thin wire & PVC chips.

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (7).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (8).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (9).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (10).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (11).jpg

Still need to figure out how to make the circuit board & grill piece.

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (12).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (13).jpg

elkad

Jul 01, 2019, 03:52 pm #1 Last Edit: Jul 01, 2019, 04:16 pm by elkad
I tried again with the coiled wire method. This time I'm using a different wire & winding it on a wood rod in a drill.
Simply put the dowel in the drill, tuck a small amount of wire in the side of the drill chuck, spin slowly at first to get your coil started, then gun it to the top.
Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (14).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (15).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (16).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (17).jpg

To get the coil off, twist the end slightly enough to loosen bu not uncoil the wire, then hold on to the coil & unscrew the wood rod from the coil. (the wire leaves a spiral in the wood.)

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (18).jpg

Slowly compress the wire in the vice, but not all the way. Leave a small gap between the pressed wire so it doesn't shift the other wires around unevenly. When it comes out it will be a sort of a flat corkscrew, but this can be easily fixed with a gentle bending. (If you bend it to hard the wires will separate leaving gaps.)

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (19).jpgAmbassadors Of Death 1 Way (20).jpg

I glued the wire on a peace of PVC. (If you can glue the wire to the prop without messing up the color, power to you.)
(I found If I had a 3d printer, I could just print this entire prop from the back peace to the button & grill up. I could even make the circuit board too... If I had a 3d printer. :( )

You think I should color the grill the same as the prop or leave it silver color. (Honestly, I think the silver wire look makes the prop pop out a little.) Still need to do the circuit board, not done yet.

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (21).jpg

elkad

Jul 03, 2019, 05:33 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 05:34 pm by elkad
I did my best to trace a circuit pattern from a screencapture & cut up some scrap PVC for the square & rectangular chips. The round ones are wood dowel rod, & the wire is baling wire.

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (22).jpg

My prop was alot smaller than the trace & made it fit on the paper outline of the inside of the prop.

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (23).jpg

I use hot glue for solder points. Pressing down the small strands of glue, so glue spiderwebs don't get everywhere.

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (24).jpg

Paint, glue, & done.

Ambassadors Of Death 1 Way (25).jpg