Apr 25, 2024, 04:59 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell Central Column help...

Started by chancellorvalium, Aug 29, 2006, 09:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chancellorvalium

Aug 29, 2006, 09:57 pm Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:23 pm by Scarfwearer
Can someone provide a plan/detailed pictures/where to get them?

"The Fluid Link" has or had pictures of plans of the panels, and I have of course got myself a picture of Scarfwearer's excellent plan, but I haven't been able to find a plan of the column, arguable the most complex part of the console.

I've searched this site and elsewhere quite thoroughly but not come up with much...

I'm also afraid I can't use flash on my computer as it mucked up installing and now won't work or reinstall/update...

Could someone please help?

Thanks  :)

handofomega

Aug 29, 2006, 10:32 pm #1 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:16 pm by scarfwearer
What I would like to see is a drawing of the inner working of the Hartnell central column.  Preferably a CAD drawing from someone who knows whats inside.  I have a vague notion, but most pics I have seen are kinda unclear on the details.

mechanoid

Sep 14, 2006, 10:25 pm #2 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:17 pm by scarfwearer
I have some fairly good DVD capture pictures, inluding a clear shot of the whole central column workings...but I guess you already have some of those?

Rassilons Rod

Sep 15, 2006, 11:18 am #3 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:17 pm by scarfwearer
Thats certainly something I'd like to see :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

karsthotep

Sep 15, 2006, 12:10 pm #4 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:17 pm by scarfwearer
ditto here on that,

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

chancellorvalium

Sep 16, 2006, 10:08 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:17 pm by scarfwearer
Motion thirded, thank you :)

davidpk212

Sep 17, 2006, 08:54 am #6 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:17 pm by scarfwearer
Hmm... well... I can provide a text description of bits of this, from the end of "The Firemaker" (Unearthly Child, pt 4)

At the very bottom, there is a floodlamp which lights up the whole column. Supported on top of this is a gray semispherical net-type thing, like a kitchen colander. from about halway up from this, there is a transparent plastic spiral around the outside of everything. There are four (flourescent?) tubes set out in a sqaure, and halfway up these, the spiral stops. There follows a very inctricate section of minuturised gantires, on top of which are two squares, with a diagonal line across them, half black, half white, symmertrically.

The flourescent tubes flash on and off randomly but also light up all at once on occasion. I think that where is some sort of green plastic lampshade surrounding a quarter of these tubes, too, the quarter on the very exterior of the column. This may or may not have a small gap in the middle, so the shade is made up of 2 eighths of a circle.

The floodlight at the bottom is either only seen during The Brink of Disaster (Edge of Destruction, pt 2) when the console is about to "explode" and destroy the entire TARDIS, or at any thime that that the conumn needs to light up (like the Five Doctors column.)

I can't remember, but there may be another section of gantries between the colander and the light tubes, with there spiral ending here.

Hope that helps, (will correct later!)

Me.

---

Right, just found some more colour photos - fan builds so I can't really vouch for their accuracy 100%.

Inside the tubing there are lots (about 6) of straight black ruler-type sticks, which line up with the two squares at the very top.

The "gantry" at the top is just a black plastic circle shape, supported by the ruler-sticks and lights by some kind of dowel.

Although the two squares at the top were together for the first episode, it appears they were moved apart for later ones, possibly shortly after Susan's departure.

The entire column also spins round at about 3 rpm, and it moves up and down jerkily, stopping suddenly when it get to the top or bottom. Picture it in your head a moment - it looks better moving gracefully, hmm? It's also easier to build...

mechanoid

Sep 17, 2006, 08:01 pm #7 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:18 pm by scarfwearer
I have posted some pics to the following URL:

http://www.grahamgough.com/column/

cap581.jpg is probably the clearest and complete. Some of the others are stop frame captures that run together indicating motion.

Scarfwearer

Sep 17, 2006, 09:38 pm #8 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:18 pm by scarfwearer
Great caps! Before you posted these I was working on a diagram based on some caps from DIOE, which only show the top half.

Here's what I have so far:

hartnell-console-column-plan.gif

I'll do some more work on these based on the extra stuff visible in your caps - thanks!
Any feedback appreciated, as I've quite likely got some stuff wrong.

Crispin

handofomega

Sep 17, 2006, 09:50 pm #9 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:18 pm by scarfwearer
Nice work Greybags and Scarfwearer!!!  Awesome screen grabs!!!   Fantastic drawings!!!  Great stuff guys.

karsthotep

Sep 18, 2006, 11:49 pm #10 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:18 pm by scarfwearer
That is excellent work, good job,  I look forward to seeing the full break down.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Rassilons Rod

Sep 19, 2006, 09:02 am #11 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:19 pm by scarfwearer
Fantastic work there Crispin :)

There's a lot of stuff in there... And its only going to get more complicated! I have a suggestion on how to keep things nice and clear.

Have a table with 2 columns on your diagram. left hand column, start off with say... the base in the right column and the net in the left column. Then on the 2nd row show another component on the left with the right column showing the net in place on the base.

3rd row will show a ring on the left and the previous stuff all in place on the right. One piece at a time.

Make sense? Probably all so much waffle! lol :) I can imagine it might make the whole thing a lot more time consuming - but if you want I'd be happy to make the pictures in 3D with your measurements to help out :)

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Sep 20, 2006, 02:50 pm #12 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:19 pm by scarfwearer
A series of pictures showing how it all builds up sounds like a good idea. I'll try to highlight the additions at each stage also.

Doing a 3D version would be great, and would definitely help with tweaking the measurements. Who knows? Maybe one of us will actually build the thing in plastic at some point...

I'll get on with this again soon I hope.
Cheers Marc

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Sep 20, 2006, 03:16 pm #13 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:19 pm by scarfwearer
I'd like to do the same thing for the other Time Columns too at some point, particularly the 5 Docs one.

Oooh! So many things to do and so little time. Glad to be able to get involved in some way, it'll be a long time before I get to build my 5 docs console for real. *sigh*

-Marc
PS, anyone who's interested i won't be able to reply after tomorrow morning as I'll be away until late monday. :)
Public Enema Number One.

davidpk212

Sep 22, 2006, 03:44 pm #14 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:19 pm by scarfwearer
Hmm. You can see where I was coming from, but one or two details are different from those I said.