Apr 18, 2024, 08:24 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell Central Column help...

Started by chancellorvalium, Aug 29, 2006, 09:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarfwearer

Dec 06, 2006, 06:44 pm #150 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:14 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: rassilonsrod board=console thread=1156888623 post=1165367039PS. Crispin: I have redone the first bunch of renders and I think they look a load better now. Should have the renders finished tomorrow night. And probably I can do some measurements of the rotating part on thursday.

Brilliant! I confess I haven't managed to make time for working on plans yet. It seems to be a busy time of year...

The small cube detail looks great. I felt sure it had more detail - what you have looks right to me.

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Dec 06, 2006, 07:06 pm #151 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:14 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer board=console thread=1156888623 post=1165430676I felt sure it had more detail - what you have looks right to me

Well as it was just a cube, I left it for a while, cos I wasn't sure how I was going to do the internal lines, but breaking it up seems to have done the trick :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Dec 07, 2006, 12:27 pm #152 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:14 pm by scarfwearer
Well I'm done with the renders, need to do some measurements for the rotating parts...

Here's a little bit of fun :) I'll probably play with this a bit more but I couldn't be bothered to re-render it with a grey background yet.... maybe later :)

-Marc
http://www.kostamojen.com/marc/TardisTestcard.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Dec 08, 2006, 11:39 am #153 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:14 pm by scarfwearer
I like it! I still have a nostalgic soft spot for the girl with the green ball though.

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Dec 08, 2006, 12:04 pm #154 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:15 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer board=console thread=1156888623 post=1165577954I like it! I still have a nostalgic soft spot for the girl with the green ball though.

Crispin

It was a clown, not a ball... admittedly a severely disabled clown mind you! :)

Have you seen Life on Mars? I'm not going to give anything away. But

1) I recommend it
2) look for the test card :)

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Dec 18, 2006, 11:55 am #155 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:15 pm by scarfwearer
Crispin!  :o

EEEEK! I started making a console to go with my new Time Column model. I already have a console squirrelled away somewhere, but as the time column should be pretty accurate by now I thought I'd start again.

PROBLEM: Using the plans on your website, I began making the central hex tube and the table and the base. At that point I decided to import my Time Column. Thats when it dawned on me that the column is a bit big... it overlaps the centrap tube considerably (and that is before the crown goes on).

So..... What to do? Do we shrink the time column and start again with measuerments (not an easy task)? OR do we enlarge the console to match the column?

In 3D terms its not hard to compensate. But for the sake of doing accurate plans we seem to have come to a bit of a standoff...

:o

Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Dec 18, 2006, 12:55 pm #156 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:15 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: rassilonsrod board=console thread=1156888623 post=1166442959Crispin!  :o

EEEEK! I started making a console to go with my new Time Column model. I already have a console squirrelled away somewhere, but as the time column should be pretty accurate by now I thought I'd start again.

PROBLEM: Using the plans on your website, I began making the central hex tube and the table and the base. At that point I decided to import my Time Column. Thats when it dawned on me that the column is a bit big... it overlaps the centrap tube considerably (and that is before the crown goes on).

So..... What to do? Do we shrink the time column and start again with measuerments (not an easy task)? OR do we enlarge the console to match the column?

In 3D terms its not hard to compensate. But for the sake of doing accurate plans we seem to have come to a bit of a standoff...

:o

The column cover should be 23-24" diameter to match the prop. It might be possible to scale it down if it's ended up too large. We could certainly apply a constant scale factor to the measurements prior to drawing up plans - I'm sure it can be fixed up. Hopefully the 3D tool can resize models without redrawing them.

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Dec 18, 2006, 03:48 pm #157 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:15 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer board=console thread=1156888623 post=1166446550The column cover should be 23-24" diameter to match the prop. It might be possible to scale it down if it's ended up too large. We could certainly apply a constant scale factor to the measurements prior to drawing up plans - I'm sure it can be fixed up. Hopefully the 3D tool can resize models without redrawing them.

Crispin

Its easy enough to scale the Time Column down again, as there is a box that will do it by percentage and apply it to the whole thing. But it doesn't adjust the measurements...

I'll check what I have for the size of the cover later.

It is of course, entirely possible that I have screwed up the sizing/placing of my panels for the central hex tube.

Cheers
-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Dec 30, 2006, 01:36 pm #158 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:16 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer board=console thread=1156888623 post=1166446550The column cover should be 23-24" diameter to match the prop. It might be possible to scale it down if it's ended up too large. We could certainly apply a constant scale factor to the measurements prior to drawing up plans - I'm sure it can be fixed up. Hopefully the 3D tool can resize models without redrawing them.

Crispin

Um, apparently its 26" Diameter...  :-/

I'll make it 24", but it will take a bit of time to work out the measurements again once I have scaled it accordingly...

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Dec 30, 2006, 02:37 pm #159 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:16 pm by scarfwearer
In the mean time, I have lowered the outer shell and resized the base accordingly and (although you won't really notice) I have resized the whole thing to be 24" diameter :)

Render-2006-12-30-02.png

-Marc

(Roundels borrowed from a certain forum that I host... :))
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Jan 04, 2007, 03:43 am #160 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:18 pm by scarfwearer
Um ok... I decided to try an animation... The console is nothing like finished, but I got a bit impatient ;)

Give it a few secs to load up properly. As you will see from my avatar, it doesn't do a full loop, but goes part way and repeats. Should have something more complete in a few days :)

EDIT: OK I got Maya to work properly and now I have a full animation. :)

-Marc

Here is a preview of it, gve it a about a minute to download as you view it, enough to move up and down twice - then the motion will start to appear smooth.
RotorTestFullRotationX250.gif

Here is a full size one at 500x500 (again, give it a minute or so to download)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/rassilonsrod/HartnellColumn/RotorTestFullRotationX500.gif
Public Enema Number One.

karsthotep

Jan 04, 2007, 01:09 pm #161 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:18 pm by scarfwearer
Now that is a beautiful thing to see.  That really brings the whole thing to life.  Great work marc.

I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

mantamatt

Jan 04, 2007, 02:27 pm #162 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:18 pm by scarfwearer
I don't usually get as excited about consoles as I do about the outer plasmic shell  but I have to say that rotor/ column thing you've made is a real work of art. Really nice work.

Rassilons Rod

Jan 04, 2007, 02:59 pm #163 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:19 pm by scarfwearer
Thank you all for your kind words :)

I'm starting to feel really quite proud it now! :D

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

spica

Jan 04, 2007, 06:19 pm #164 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:19 pm by scarfwearer
Wonderful! It's the cherry on the cake of a superb resource. Thanks again.
Is it possible to save the animated gif to desktop? Or I don't suppose you might consider doing a version as a full screensaver? I'm sure youve got better things to do but that's an object of desire that is!