Mar 28, 2024, 08:44 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell Central Column help...

Started by chancellorvalium, Aug 29, 2006, 09:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Nov 22, 2006, 12:19 pm #135 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: purpleblancmange board=console thread=1156888623 post=1164194564Funnily enough, I prefer "Time Rotor" - though as you pointed out, it's actually a switch mentioned in The Chase or somewhere. 

That said, doesn't the Fifth Doctor also refer to it as just the Rotor in one of his stories?  I seem to recall him entering the console room, looking directly at the column and exclaiming, "The Rotor's jammed!"

These terms are slightly more convinving and snappy than, "That tubular up and downy whirly-gig conntraption in the centre of the Console."  Meh...

Haha, reminds me of the line spoken by Red Dwarf´s Cat: Swirly thing alert! Swirly thing alert!

Just rebuilt the basket and doing a test render (also lowered the diamonds down to 16 repeating tiles). I'll post some more renders later)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Nov 22, 2006, 02:23 pm #136 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
Ok, here are some renders of the modifications I have made to the Basket (its brand new!) and to the Paddle Wheel... :)

(click for larger)
Fruit Basket in top and perspective views...
th_2006-11-22-FruitBasketTop.jpg th_2006-11-22-FruitBasketPerspective.jpg

(click for larger)
Paddle Wheel in front, side and 45 degree views
th_2006-11-22-PaddleWheelFront.jpg th_2006-11-22-PaddleWheelSide.jpg  th_2006-11-22-PaddleWheel45deg.jpg

Here is the mesh at 16 repeated tiles...
2006-11-22-ColumnMesh16.jpg

Here is the mesh at 24 repeated tiles...
2006-11-22-ColumnMesh24.jpg

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

handofomega

Nov 22, 2006, 11:34 pm #137 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
 :o :o :o I think you are so close now that the finish line is about to be tread upon!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Awesome renders!!!

Tough call about the size of the mesh.   I looked over the thread again and from the Pertwee pics it seems that 24 is closer to what I am seeing.  16 seems just too big.  I wonder what it would look like if ya split the difference.  Looks out of this world RR, great job!!!

Rassilons Rod

Nov 23, 2006, 06:32 am #138 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
OK, I'll do another render with the mesh at 20 :)

One thing I still need to think about is support of the basket I think I saw 3 stubby plastic rods underneath it. But I half think I saw something like a shuttle cock in one pic but can't remember where it is now... Also... Should I cut a hole in the base of the basket for the central rod to go through...? Dilemmas... Dilemmas...

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Nov 23, 2006, 07:33 am #139 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:22 pm by Scarfwearer
Ok, here it is at 20x :)

2006-11-23-MeshAt20x.jpg

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Nov 23, 2006, 07:50 am #140 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:09 pm by scarfwearer
...And one with some supports for the fruitbasket :)

2006-11-23-FruitBasketSupport.jpg

Right I'm off to work on some texturing for this puppy now... I have infact already made the cover for it so I'll have a play with the settings and get back to you :)

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

mechanoid

Nov 24, 2006, 11:54 pm #141 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:09 pm by scarfwearer
Hey Marc....this is looking awesome stuff. Just a point regarding the ladders or is it the paddles ...instead of straight they look as though they are sort of curved or rounded and therefore have a slight lensing effect on the background? What do you think?

Rassilons Rod

Nov 25, 2006, 12:38 pm #142 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:09 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Greybags :)

Have a look back to the first pages we had a lengthy discussion about that and we decided that they were flat and if you look closely at my renders they are connected by some clear plastic connectory-things :)

I think the curvature is a trick of the light (and very poor quality pics of the rotor). :)

Cheers
-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

mechanoid

Nov 26, 2006, 04:10 pm #143 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:10 pm by scarfwearer
Sorry Marc,

this thread has been going on so long (Thankfully!) that I had forgotten!

regards
Graham
Quote from: rassilonsrod board=console thread=1156888623 post=1164458326Hi Greybags :)

Have a look back to the first pages we had a lengthy discussion about that and we decided that they were flat and if you look closely at my renders they are connected by some clear plastic connectory-things :)

I think the curvature is a trick of the light (and very poor quality pics of the rotor). :)

Cheers
-Marc

Rassilons Rod

Nov 26, 2006, 04:18 pm #144 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:10 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: graybags34tr board=console thread=1156888623 post=1164557432Sorry Marc,

this thread has been going on so long (Thankfully!) that I had forgotten!

regards
Graham

No Problem mate :)

Well I think as the thread has been quiet for a couple of days, its time to start dismantling it and giving some renders to Mr C Scarfwearer :)

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Nov 26, 2006, 10:13 pm #145 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:10 pm by scarfwearer
Well, I've pretty much run out of brickbats at this point :) so I'd be delighted to see some plan-style views. If your s/w has a way to give you dimensions for the elements, that would be useful too. If not, I can measure from the rendering as I've done with photos.
Hopefully I can get some plans together before too long.

My huge thanks to you for taking the time to do this and bearing our comments/criticisms with such good grace.

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Nov 26, 2006, 11:55 pm #146 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:10 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer board=console thread=1156888623 post=1164579203Well, I've pretty much run out of brickbats at this point :) so I'd be delighted to see some plan-style views. If your s/w has a way to give you dimensions for the elements, that would be useful too. If not, I can measure from the rendering as I've done with photos.
Hopefully I can get some plans together before too long.

My huge thanks to you for taking the time to do this and bearing our comments/criticisms with such good grace.

Crispin

Right, well thats the next stage then :) Keep an eye out in your email inbox :)

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

Scarfwearer

Nov 27, 2006, 12:58 pm #147 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:11 pm by scarfwearer
Great - thanks for those. And watch this space... though I'm building sets and props for my in-progress Scarfwearer film at the moment, so my time is divided...

Crispin

karsthotep

Dec 02, 2006, 09:00 pm #148 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:11 pm by scarfwearer
Looking good, I can't wait to see some plans laid out for this. I definatly want to use this rotor for my console build next year.

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Rassilons Rod

Dec 06, 2006, 01:03 am #149 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 11:11 pm by scarfwearer
Hi guys,
Brief Update. I have been breaking the model apart so that I can give Crispin measurements and construction renders...

Whilst doing this I have been updating the model a bit. Such as, by cutting holes in things that are meant to have rods connected inside them and so forth.

One of the things I hadn't really done much with was the cube in between the "paddle wheel" and the "dumbell", it was just a flat grey cube (1.6"3 for those interested :)) Well I've fixed that now and I thought you might like to see how I constructed it ;) (click for larger images)

Perspective view
th_Perspective.jpg

Exploded view
th_Exploded.jpg

In place on Time Column
th_15-C-CubeCornerView.jpg  th_15-B-CubeInPlace.jpg

In these last 2 pics you can see where I have cut a hole in the central pole (in this case its for the dumbell :)

-Marc
PS. Crispin: I have redone the first bunch of renders and I think they look a load better now. Should have the renders finished tomorrow night. And probably I can do some measurements of the rotating part on thursday.
Public Enema Number One.