News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell Central Column help...

Started by chancellorvalium, Aug 29, 2006, 09:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

markofrani

Oct 26, 2006, 09:13 pm #90 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:50 pm by scarfwearer
Hi,
not sure if this is any use - a pic of the console from the Pertwee story Inferno. I think its the last time the original prop is used. Looks pretty damaged inside the column, but some of the original insides can be seen, including the basket!

p8.jpg

I've got a few other pics in Pfhotobucket.

Scarfwearer

Oct 26, 2006, 09:19 pm #91 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:50 pm by scarfwearer
Indeed - these renders look great. It also looks about right dimensionally. Unless you've already done so, it would be good to render it face-on, and choose a face-on screen capture from greybags collection so we can make sure the proportions are right.
That done, tell me your measurements so I can draw some plans! I'm a bit distracted now with set building and filming in my copious (ha!) free time, but somebody ought to make one of these out of plastic...

Crispin

Scarfwearer

Oct 26, 2006, 09:59 pm #92 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:51 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: markofrani board=console thread=1156888623 post=1161897219Hi,
not sure if this is any use - a pic of the console from the Pertwee story Inferno. I think its the last time the original prop is used. Looks pretty damaged inside the column, but some of the original insides can be seen, including the basket!

I've got a few other pics in Pfhotobucket.

Fascinating picture - which helps with the details. Nice boom mic also!

Crispin

handofomega

Oct 26, 2006, 11:10 pm #93 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:51 pm by scarfwearer
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is a fascinating photo as it shows the mesh I have been harping on about.   VERY clearly I might add.  ;)   It is a shame that the central column fell into such disrepair.   Also a shame that the design wasn't carried forward into the new build.   I'm not knocking the other column interiors, but this one looks like complex mechanisms for piloting a time/space machine.   Not just a bunch of lights blinking randomly.   Not that there is anything wrong with that, after all I like the central column in the 5 Doctors too.   It is just to me, the original one has a sense of style.

Scarfwearer

Oct 26, 2006, 11:31 pm #94 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:51 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: handofomega board=console thread=1156888623 post=1161904215Not to beat a dead horse, but this is a fascinating photo as it shows the mesh I have been harping on about.   VERY clearly I might add.  ;)   

It does! It looks like it fills the gaps between the 3 vertical 'rulers' on either side - as you said. What do you suppose the mesh spacing is? Looks like it's a little less than 1/2 inch, maybe 3/8", and quite fine wire - almost like chicken wire.

Quote from: handofomega board=console thread=1156888623 post=1161904215It is just to me, the original one has a sense of style.

Hence our interest... :)

Crispin

handofomega

Oct 27, 2006, 01:40 am #95 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:51 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer board=console thread=1156888623 post=1161905483
It does! It looks like it fills the gaps between the 3 vertical 'rulers' on either side - as you said. What do you suppose the mesh spacing is? Looks like it's a little less than 1/2 inch, maybe 3/8", and quite fine wire - almost like chicken wire.

Crispin

What I "think" it is, is a plastic transparent film with the mesh attached to it OR drawn on some how.  Not sure if chicken wire would show up as whitish on a screen cap.   Plus it would be easiest to attach to the mechanism if it were on a transparent film.   But that is just what I think.   I suppose you could use a plastic mesh of some sort without using a film to secure it.   just not sure what you would use to attach it.  Epoxy maybe.  There are probably a variety of solutions that could be tried to varying degrees of success.

I'm just thinking of how to replicate the design in miniature for a model.   

handofomega

Oct 27, 2006, 01:45 am #96 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:51 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer board=console thread=1156888623 post=1161905483
It does! It looks like it fills the gaps between the 3 vertical 'rulers' on either side - as you said.

Crispin

Speaking of the 3 vertical 'rulers' on each side, is it just me or does the middle one have a gap in the center of it???  A LOT of screen caps that I have looked at seem to show said 'gap', from Hartnell to Pertwee.  Not sure if anyone else has seen it or not.  I know in the renders Rassilonsrod has it as a white square, but in a few screen caps I have seen it looks more like a hole instead of a white square.

markofrani

Oct 27, 2006, 09:30 am #97 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:52 pm by scarfwearer
here's another Pertwee console pic
p13.jpg

The rest are at http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/markofrani

Scarfwearer

Oct 27, 2006, 11:54 am #98 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:52 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: handofomega board=console thread=1156888623 post=1161913247

What I "think" it is, is a plastic transparent film with the mesh attached to it OR drawn on some how.  Not sure if chicken wire would show up as whitish on a screen cap.   Plus it would be easiest to attach to the mechanism if it were on a transparent film.   But that is just what I think.   I suppose you could use a plastic mesh of some sort without using a film to secure it.   just not sure what you would use to attach it.  Epoxy maybe.  There are probably a variety of solutions that could be tried to varying degrees of success.

I'm just thinking of how to replicate the design in miniature for a model.   

It might be possible to score the mesh design into a plastic film/sheet with something sharp (e.g. a nail). I would have thought that would be unlikely to be what they did originally (a bit labour intensive for the hurry hurry TV industry), but you never know.

Crispin

Rassilons Rod

Oct 27, 2006, 01:06 pm #99 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:52 pm by scarfwearer
That photobucket link didn'twork for me straight away, so I extrapolated it from your image :)
http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r140/markofrani/

I can just see that mesh now... I do wonder now, if the rulers are in a straight line (and therefore set at the distance of my white rulers) or if they follow the curvature of the rings.

The other problem I noticed (particularly looking at the colour cap) is that I've made the cover way too small. the inner and outer bases seem to sit on something unseen. Also in the colour cap, the cover is totally on the piss.... Inferno must have totally finished that prop off, unfortunately :(

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

handofomega

Oct 27, 2006, 02:10 pm #100 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:52 pm by scarfwearer
Just looking back over some of the screen caps.   I seem to see some sort of bumps on the top of the collander thing on the bottem.   Not sure the position or the amount (3 or 4 tops I think) but I am seeing them there.   If they were part of the original collander thing, it might give us clues to exactly what it is.   Or it could be something that was put in on purpose by the designers.   Could be small lights of some sort????   Just something I thought I would share.

karsthotep

Oct 27, 2006, 03:18 pm #101 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:52 pm by scarfwearer
You are right I see them as well.  The do like small lights of some kind, good eye.  Does anyone know the engineering of how they got the inner rotation as well as the up and down on this prop?

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Rassilons Rod

Oct 27, 2006, 04:06 pm #102 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:53 pm by scarfwearer
Just zoomed into the colour pic.

I reckon there are three of these lights/knobs on the basket (which I think I'll remake... I think the ribs are flatter and I have just decided 6 of them per quarter.

Also I think the rulers are shorter than the paddle wheel height. And I think they sit as I have them and the mesh joins the white ones.

I may not put it in just yet... it will be a bit of a test for me cos it'll be the first time I've used transparency maps!!! Never doubted you for a moment MarkOfRani! :) Glad we're all seeing the same stuff now though!!! :D

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

spica

Oct 27, 2006, 07:23 pm #103 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:53 pm by scarfwearer
I think the central ruler middle is transparent. Which suggests that it was perspex with perhaps a black plastic sheet stuck on the upper and lower portions.
Also note on the above inferno pix p9 and p12 the mesh seems to be sagging down off the rulers! You can see the top edge where the whole arrangement has come away from the upper (inner) ring. It looks like some sort of thicker plastic sheet.

Rassilons Rod

Nov 01, 2006, 10:37 am #104 Last Edit: Nov 15, 2010, 10:53 pm by scarfwearer
Ok, I haven't quite got exactly the same angles... but I think the measurements are mostly ok. Still need to redo the basket at the bottom and probably shrink the cube a bit... Also need to make the mesh, but that might be a bit longer in coming, due to technical issues... Just asume its there for now please :)

-Marc

(click for larger)
th_Comparison02.jpg    .....th_Comparison01.jpg
Public Enema Number One.