The Colin Richmond/Ed Thomas TARDIS Refurb (2009)

Started by chriskingbees, Jul 20, 2009, 01:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chriskingbees

Jul 20, 2009, 01:39 pm Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:37 am by Scarfwearer
The Colin Richmond/Ed Thomas TARDIS Refurb

Summary:
A new producer, a new style show and a new look TARDIS (where have we heard that before?). With Stephen Moffat taking the reigns in 2009, we see a new look for the Ed Thomas design. A fresnel lens in the lamp, white windows, new hardware, a St John's Ambulance sticker and a new and clean paint job. New New TARDIS.

Please feel free to add photo references for this prop here, making sure that your photo is of the prop used during the correct era above.

And now, over to Chris KB:

Well, here it is

MattsTardis.jpg

I don't know, exactly what to think, at the moment, but, let the discussion begin

KB

DoctorWho8

Jul 20, 2009, 03:33 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 09:31 pm by scarfwearer
Well, now Matt Smith looks like a mix of TVM Sylvester McCoy and little Patrick Troughton. For the TARDIS, notice the lamp is reminiscent of the 1996 TVM Lamp. Plus they recycled the cap from the previous lamp housing. And also notice the windows are now of a more proper configuration. I wonder if the windows and sign boxes are no longer being lit up, since even the sign boxes have new signs with white letter. Good news is, I don't have to make new drawings. ;)
Bill Rudloff

Scarfwearer

Jul 20, 2009, 04:42 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 09:31 pm by scarfwearer
Please keep posts on this thread to reference material and pointers.

For personal opinion about this new version, post here: Matt Smith's TARDIS....

Thanks

Crispin

markofrani

Sep 22, 2009, 11:21 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 09:32 pm by scarfwearer
detail shot of the new Tardis...
newweb.jpg

slidin_sidewayz

Nov 08, 2009, 12:32 am #4 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 09:32 pm by scarfwearer
Hmmm.... it seems like the sign boxes are narrower, as the detail trim on the corner posts is wider at the top than the previous box. If it's supposed to be more like the original why is that even there?? I always preferred the look of the sign boxes being halfway across the posts but this one looks like they're only about a third of the way. Is it just me or is the square section around the door opening and under the sign boxes smaller now? And oh dear! The phone panel sign font is different!!! To paraphrase an old phrase, I think there's been too many cooks!!

DoctorWho8

Nov 08, 2009, 01:39 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 09:32 pm by scarfwearer
Actually, the signs seem to be the same size, it's just the corner posts are wider, thus throwing off the centering.  It was like that on the new prop made for Series 4, which this one is fashioned after.
Bill Rudloff

Scarfwearer

Aug 13, 2010, 01:43 pm #6 Last Edit: Aug 13, 2010, 01:43 pm by Scarfwearer
top-view600.jpg

I cropped this image from a recent magazine poster that shows some detail of the top of the posts.
I'm not sure which specific prop this is from, but it's certainly 2010 era.

Crispin

geminitimelord

Richard with his Leadsworth build will find this photo useful I think he had concerns on the construction of his roof and if it was accurate. i thought from the photos that his process was spot on but this photo confirms it.

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Aug 13, 2010, 01:43 pm
top-view600.jpg

I cropped this image from a recent magazine poster that shows some detail of the top of the posts.
I'm not sure which specific prop this is from, but it's certainly 2010 era.

Crispin

lorisarvendu

Found this unusual-angled picture of the 2010 Matt Smith box, which shows the simple angle of the corner posts.  No bevelling here (it is bevelling I mean, isn't it?) 
It also shows the varying depths of different aspects of the box, and shows that the first stack is indeed set further back than the door.

http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/doctor_who_matt_smith_first_filming-4.jpg

It's 1000 pixels wide so I haven't embedded it.

Kingpin

Aug 24, 2011, 09:25 am #9 Last Edit: Aug 24, 2011, 09:28 am by Kingpin
A really nice high-resolution three-quarters view of the TARDIS, from the Doctor Who News Page (Via the BBC):

170vx.th.jpg

lorisarvendu

Sep 10, 2011, 07:57 pm #10 Last Edit: Oct 20, 2012, 09:20 pm by Scarfwearer
A couple of unusual top-down shots from "The Girl Who Waited".

TGWW01.jpg

TGWW02.jpg

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Mar 06, 2012, 04:16 pm #12 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012, 04:16 pm by galacticprobe
I think we've got some photos of this box somewhere in another thread. It was determined to be the "promo" box for Series 5, rather than the screen-used filming box. The lamp on top was the giveaway. That other thread has some nice close-ups of the box showing good detail. (I can't find the link to it, but I do remember the members who posted the photos of the box also had photos of them with Matt Smith, who they just happened to run into at the time. Talk about luck!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Mar 06, 2012, 04:20 pm #13 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012, 04:22 pm by warmcanofcoke
I try to keep an eye out for useful images ... but its so hard when there is an entire team of elite forum members doing the same thing. ;D
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Mar 06, 2012, 04:32 pm #14 Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012, 04:33 pm by galacticprobe
All images are useful, Warmcan. For the most part, I think the only real difference between the two boxes is the lamp. (There was some damage to the PTO panel and one of the door handles, I think, but then this was the promo box and did get moved about a bit, probably not with the gentlest of hands.)

The Flickr image looks like it might be an early photo of this box as the damage isn't visible yet. (And I do happen to think this is a beauty of a box, promo or not. Probably should have said that before. My bad :-[.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"