News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Another Master's Laser Gun

Started by elkad, Feb 03, 2019, 06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Feb 03, 2019, 06:37 pm Last Edit: Feb 03, 2019, 06:44 pm by elkad
Reference: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7220.0

I'm going to try out some new ideas. I'm going to use ether button or AAA battery's in the handle, & a Christmas ornament cut out for the dish.
As for the emitter, I don't know. Should I use a plastic shipping tube or an acrylic tube. With the shipping tube, I would have to color it, as for the acrylic, I could find a pre-colored tube.

Now the build. I'll start out with the handle & ribs. Two tubes. The outer tube is the handle & ribs.

Laser Gun New (1).jpgLaser Gun New (2).jpg

elkad

Feb 06, 2019, 06:47 pm #1 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2019, 07:08 pm by elkad
I measured out the ammo clip box & glued them together. (I tried folding one cut piece together & it ended up longer than I wanted.)

Laser Gun New (3).jpgLaser Gun New (5).jpg

I drimiled the sides to fit the inner tube, & lined it up using a square, sanding a little at a time, finishing off with sandpaper rapped around the tube & running the box across the tube to get a perfect, ( or nearly perfect ), fit.

Laser Gun New (6).jpgLaser Gun New (7).jpg

I made a dish from a tin & flimsy 3" ornament. (I used it just for size comparison.) I went with a thicker 4" ornament, using a 3" hole saw bit to make the dish. (I went slowly drilling it out, using alot of WD40.

Laser Gun New (8).jpgLaser Gun New (15).jpg

For the emitters, I'm using jewelry storage tubes I got from Hobby Lobby.

Laser Gun New (11).jpg

I drilled out a hole in the emitter tube for the inner tube. I measured out 2 1/2", including the tube cap for the emitter.

Laser Gun New (13).jpg

Once I sanded down the dish, I drilled a hole for the inner tube, & painted the entire dish silver, then taped it off for the black. (I put the tape around the outside to give the dish a nice silver ring around the edge.)

Laser Gun New (16).jpgLaser Gun New (17).jpgLaser Gun New (18).jpg

I beveled the rib that attaches to the dish, & cut the seven ribs to slide around the ammo box.

Laser Gun New (14).jpgLaser Gun New (19).jpgLaser Gun New (20).jpg

For the inner emitter, I drilled a hole in some PVC, (FIRST), cut, glued, & sanded the piece on the inner tube to fit the inner emitter.

Laser Gun New (21).jpgLaser Gun New (22).jpgLaser Gun New (23).jpg

Now, I have to wait for the emitters to dry before I can continue.

Laser Gun New (24).jpg

elkad

Feb 07, 2019, 04:48 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 07, 2019, 04:50 pm by elkad
I didn't do a good job of measuring where the ribs go, so I glued the ribs by eye. (When measuring, mark out the lines with a Square.) I used the ammo clip box to make sure the ribs would fit over the box, & line up the tips. Once I got the first seven ribs on, the rest were easy as pie. (Quot; As Easy As Pie, As Easy As Pie?)  

Laser Gun New (25).jpgLaser Gun New (26).jpgLaser Gun New (27).jpgLaser Gun New (28).jpg

Now to paint the handle. I found the 14th rib was painted on the handle.

Laser Gun New (29).jpg

ALL MOST DONE  ;D
Now all I have to do is make & paint the tip, wire the electronics, drill a hole for a black button, & I'll be finished.
I glued both the caps together to hold both emitters.

Laser Gun New (31).jpgLaser Gun New (30).jpg

elkad

Feb 09, 2019, 06:20 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2019, 06:27 pm by elkad
Firs of all, scratch the small piece of PVC holding the inner emitter. It kept pulling out of the tip I glued it on.

The tip is made of sliced PVC pipe, the same diameter as the inner handle tube & smaller hole sawed flattened PVC. The thick type.

Laser Gun New (32).jpgLaser Gun New (33).jpgLaser Gun New (34).jpg

I forget the diameter of the acrylic rod, but, once the tip is glued together, & solid, drill a hole threw it & insert the rod.

Laser Gun New (35).jpg

Glue the inner emitter.

Laser Gun New (36).jpg

And now it's down to work how I insert the electronics & battery pack.

Laser Gun New (37).jpgLaser Gun New (38).jpg

karsthotep

Very very nice build as always
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

elkad

Quote from: karsthotep on Feb 10, 2019, 02:05 pm
Very very nice build as always

Thanks  ;D

Anyone know how to make a delaying fade circuit?
I ask because in the original prop, they use a Christmas bulb to light the emitter. Comparing the two, I find the light on the bulb lights slower than the LED. I was wanting to try to make a simple circuit that would light the LED slower, or a slow fade in. Not super slow, just light bulb slow.

elkad

Feb 23, 2019, 04:23 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 23, 2019, 04:47 pm by elkad
Drilling & making the electronics.

Laser Gun New (45).jpgLaser Gun New (46).jpgLaser Gun New (47).jpgLaser Gun New (48).jpgLaser Gun New (51).jpg

This would be an upgrade from using Christmas light holders. I'm (I forgot what there called), using wire connectors you use on breadboards.

Laser Gun New (52).jpg

Making button battery elements from springs & wood dowel.

Laser Gun New (49).jpgLaser Gun New (50).jpgLaser Gun New (53).jpgLaser Gun New (54).jpgLaser Gun New (55).jpgLaser Gun New (60).jpg

Plugging one end of the pipe.

Laser Gun New (56).jpgLaser Gun New (57).jpgLaser Gun New (58).jpgLaser Gun New (59).jpgLaser Gun New (65).jpg

Making the button that pushes the memory switch. (I was thinking I was going to need a spring, but it worked out well without it. That & the spring took too much room to fit the button in the narrow length hole.)

Laser Gun New (61).jpgLaser Gun New (62).jpg

I use a plastic plug to hold the button in place. I had d to be small, or the button would jam the tube with all the electronics, & make room to press the button.

Laser Gun New (64).jpgLaser Gun New (66).jpgLaser Gun New (67).jpg

There, all the electronics are done.  ;D

Laser Gun New (69).jpgLaser Gun New (70).jpgLaser Gun New (71).jpg

Finished Gallery http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9471.msg117232#msg117232

steve757

Great use of PVC!  Very precise curve fitting from what I could see.  Nice handiwork.

elkad

Thanks  :) It's all a mater of sanding down little by little til it fits.

elkad