Apr 18, 2024, 05:26 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Dalek Projectile Gun with Clicker

Started by elkad, Nov 24, 2018, 11:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Nov 24, 2018, 11:12 pm Last Edit: Nov 28, 2018, 03:13 am by warmcanofcoke
I'm going to make another Dalek machine gun. This one will look like the prop in the episode, showing the handle & trigger.
Also, I want to put a mechanical clicker with singe & full auto clicking sound effects.

The types of clicking devices, I was thinking like, a dog training clicker, a toy machine gun clicker, or one of those party nose makers with the gear & panel witch clicks when you spin it around.

I would ether make a two system clicker, with a gear pulling on the tab one at a time, making the click, on one side, & motor driven clicker on the other, or a spring loaded clicker, like the pull bolt action toy machine gun with a singe or full auto setting.

Dalek Machine Gun copy.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Daleks Take Manhattan ? or Death to the Daleks? :-\
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

elkad

"Death to the Daleks" is the machine gun, "The Daleks Take Manhattan" is the human Dalek hybrid, Dalek Tommy-gun.

I'm doing "Death To The Daleks"

elkad

Nov 27, 2018, 10:41 pm #3 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2018, 10:54 pm by elkad
I'm using the dimensions form my last Dalek gun & a diagram of the gun I found online.

I need a Reference link here....... http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9241.msg115678;topicseen#msg115678

There....

First off, I'm starting this project by putting a paper sleeve on the pipe, so when I mark out the measurements, I can just slip the sleeve on another pipe If I need to make another.

In the blueprints, it doesn't say how many rows of holes there are in the gun, so I went with 8 rows, each row is stacked onto the next.

I used a protractor to make circle template to mark out the row lines on each side of the tube.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (2).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (3).jpg

Using the paper edge taped down as a starter I marked out the lines on a makeshift wood square.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (4).jpg

I measured out the hole lines & drilled out starter holes, then use bigger & bigger drill bits, up to 3/8".  Drilling the holes was difficult. Every time I finished a single hole, it would jerk into the hole straight in front pulling the tube out of my hand. So I tried reversing the drill, to make a divot, then back forward to remove the rest without it racing to the other side of the tube.
I also used a dowel rod to remove shavings inside after each drill bit succession. (go slow with the drill so it doesn't run away with the pipe, & use less pressure the faster you go.)

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (5).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (6).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (7).jpg

Now using double sided tape & sandpaper on a smaller dowel rod for sanding.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (8).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (9).jpg

Now the squarer vent in the front.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (10).jpg

I didn't have any beveling drill bits or tools, so I used a pare of scissors. ( Is the prop gun beveled? )

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (11).jpg

Now cutting out the fins. I used a cardboard stencil template from my last project. (good thing I knew were it was, saves up on more measuring) (tip; sand the PVC down before you cut, saves time sanding down each fin by hand. )

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (12).jpg

Now tracing the barrel, marking out the holes & where the fins go. (another stencil)

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (13).jpg

elkad

Dec 13, 2018, 05:18 pm #4 Last Edit: Dec 13, 2018, 05:33 pm by elkad
I took off the paper sleeve & made a stencil you can line up with the last mark you make as you go around the tube.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (16).jpg

I drimeled out the target site & added a sliver of flatten PVC, glued flush with the inside. (if the tab isn't flush inside, the barrel wont go threw)
Then I made a stencil for the gun site head & cut & glued that on.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (17).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (18).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (19).jpg

I forgot to show the head fins, so here is the gun so far.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (21).jpg

Now, to make the clicker. I used a motorized BB gun to make the sound, but I may need to make another because the size of the motor doesn't line up with the size of the gun clip were I planed to put it.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (14).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (15).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (20).jpg

I might want to make a sort of motorized clapper ether in the gun clip aria or the ball aria of the gun. ( a clapper manly pulls back on a spring loaded hammer that smacks two pieces of plastic or wood making the click sound, how I make it, I'm clueless... research time )

The BB gun motor can make the sound of a single & full auto click sound. ( Depending on how fast you can press the button & time it right to make the click you want. )

elkad

Oct 26, 2019, 08:07 pm #5 Last Edit: Oct 26, 2019, 08:08 pm by elkad
I have bin having trouble with toy machine gun clicker,...Is it writers block if you can't think of a mechanical solution, or is that something else?
Anyway, I was thinking of a couple other clicker methods.

The first idea was to use a party noise makers as the clicker. Like the on used in "The Mask Of Mandragora".
Just motorized.

d04-4m-c128.jpg

The other idea was just to put a electric toy gun with a gun shot sound.
I have a video.

https://youtu.be/0PpauNaSepg?list=PLszC8lLG9th2HMqY-fLKZniMQFejT6CJC

elkad

Oct 26, 2019, 08:23 pm #6 Last Edit: Oct 26, 2019, 08:31 pm by elkad
I plan to make the back end look like the one in the reference images.
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9241.0

I measured / stenciled out the back, & started working.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (22).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (23).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (24).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (25).jpg

There is the main barrel. Over that is the slider / cocking mechanism & plug / holder for the main barrel. Then the outside sheath.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (26).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (27).jpg

Now the hole were the cocking bolt will be. (the cocking mechanism is for show)

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (28).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (29).jpg

This is the gun handle stencil. This is were the sound circuit board will be.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (30).jpg

elkad

Nov 07, 2019, 08:14 pm #7 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2019, 08:22 pm by elkad
Cut, glued, & sanded the gun box.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (31).jpg

Sand the ends to hold the barrel.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (32).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (34).jpg

I'm making a gun bolt for looks.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (33).jpg

Width of the gun box & trigger.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (35).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (36).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (37).jpg

Marking out the hole where the trigger comes out of the gun box.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (38).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (39).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (40).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (41).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (42).jpg

I know the prop doesn't have a handle, but it's there if needed & can be unbolted from the gun box.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (43).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (44).jpg

I just need to add the gun bolt, spring & the electronic sound board, then paint it.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (45).jpg

I used a 3/4" wood dowel to make the bolt spring.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (46).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (47).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (48).jpgDalek Machine Gun With Clicker (49).jpg

I'm using a cut wood block to mount the gun box & sound board to the barrel.

Dalek Machine Gun With Clicker (50).jpg

elkad

Nov 27, 2019, 07:05 pm #8 Last Edit: Nov 27, 2019, 07:08 pm by elkad
Paining the parts.

IMG_20191108_112658.jpg

elkad

Any help is appreciated, ideas, suggestions.

elkad

I'm trying to make a clicker mechanism that has a single fire & full auto clicking sound.