Apr 24, 2024, 12:40 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A Change for the better?

Started by purpleblancmange, Apr 28, 2009, 04:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

peted

Jun 20, 2009, 09:54 pm #15 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:22 am by doctoriz
Brilliant 'shop job there! I took the original photo just before we kitted out BBC Cardiff news. I took another from the balcony that showed the hollow pillars quite nicely. This was very early on (late 05 or early 06) so this would be one of the two original mk1s.

purpleblancmange

Jun 21, 2009, 08:36 am #16 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:22 am by doctoriz
Nice picture Crispin, just goes to show how a few simple tweaks can make all the difference.
Quote from: doctorwho8 on Jun 20, 2009, 06:46 pmIt's been rumored that the props will actually be modeled after Hartnell's, with white window frames and a St. John's Badge.
Bill Rudloff

Part of that statement is right.  ;)

The thing we have to remember is that although there have been "investigations" into building a new prop (this was carried out just before Easter) whether it will actually happen is another matter.  Either way, it would be interesting to see which route - out of the many that have been floated around at Cardiff - actually comes to fruition.

I'm rather hoping for a *particular* idea they had.

ThisJustinOnline

Jun 21, 2009, 12:21 pm #17 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:23 am by doctoriz
Quote from: peted on Jun 20, 2009, 07:41 pm
The new series box has always had a 'knocked together' vibe to it that always left a nasty taste for me - the lamp, never quite fitting on it's pedastal and looking like it's falling apart. Wood showing through on edges that have been scuffed. Window frames clearly hot glued bits of mdf. Poor interior lighting effects that are clearly just halogen strips to the sides of the frames. Even the weathering looks rushed - the 'scraped' telephone panel. Hollow pillar caps clearly visible on screen. Lintel signs that look like they're brand new laser etched perspex rather than screen printed glass. The fact that you can see wood grain everywhere. Even wooden police boxes had enough coats of paint to hide the grain, otherwise the thing would have fallen down in a couple of years. Ugh.
I'd take the season 13 Brachaki at it's worst over this thing any day.

Funny enough....this is what draws me to this particular box...I love these details, the overall look and feel of this box really appeals to me.

Personally I hope we don't go to white windows and the ambulance Sticker, which would only be known by enthusiasts and not by the general community.

Changing the TARDIS again, in todays hyper branded world would be interesting for such a radical change, but we'll see.

I'll still love these two :)

peted

Jun 21, 2009, 12:41 pm #18 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:23 am by doctoriz
Quote from: primrodo on Jun 21, 2009, 12:21 pm
Funny enough....this is what draws me to this particular box...I love these details, the overall look and feel of this box really appeals to me.

Personally I hope we don't go to white windows and the ambulance Sticker, which would only be known by enthusiasts and not by the general community.

Changing the TARDIS again, in todays hyper branded world would be interesting for such a radical change, but we'll see.

I'll still love these two :)

I thought about that - which is why I don't think they will stray too far - but then again - even to most fans, a blue box with police box written at the top is correct. Only us prop heads made a song and dance on OG in 05 - everyone else failed to see what the problem was... When I was a kid, I didn't notice in the slightest when we went from season 13 to 14, likewise, first glimpse of the season 18, all I spotted as 10 year old was the roof was 'bigger'. To us, these 3 boxes are radically different!

DoctorWho8

Jun 21, 2009, 03:07 pm #19 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:24 am by doctoriz
Quote from: purpleblancmange on Jun 21, 2009, 08:36 amI'm rather hoping for a *particular* idea they had.

Would it required your personal build to be finished?
Bill Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

Jun 21, 2009, 06:01 pm #20 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:24 am by doctoriz
Quote from: doctorwho8 on Jun 21, 2009, 03:07 pm

Would it required your personal build to be finished?
Bill Rudloff

The purple TARDIS in the show! Now THAT would be awesome :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

ThisJustinOnline

Jun 21, 2009, 10:49 pm #21 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:25 am by doctoriz
Quote from: peted on Jun 21, 2009, 12:41 pmI thought about that - which is why I don't think they will stray too far - but then again - even to most fans, a blue box with police box written at the top is correct. Only us prop heads made a song and dance on OG in 05 - everyone else failed to see what the problem was... When I was a kid, I didn't notice in the slightest when we went from season 13 to 14, likewise, first glimpse of the season 18, all I spotted as 10 year old was the roof was 'bigger'. To us, these 3 boxes are radically different!

However, there is SO many toys, posters and packageing this time around, that a radical difference, I think, would be noticed.

purpleblancmange

Jun 22, 2009, 08:01 am #22 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:25 am by doctoriz
Primrodo does have a very good point there and I know I've thought about this before.  When there were rumours about a new box being built for series two, I even suggested to a particular designer that you could keep the over-all look of the prop, but alter parts of it to make it look a little more traditional and keep the change quite subtle.  We sort of got this for series 4 and virtually no-body noticed the change.

As for the design of the new box, at first I really didn't like it, but it quickly grew on me and I just acepted it as another incarnation of my favourite part of the show.  It has a lot of similarities to the Newbery prop, so it's not all that bad.

It does look very theatrical, but then the chap who designed it worked for the Welsh National Theatre and I guess that he's more used to designing things in a slightly exagerated fashion so that they read well for theatre goers, especially those at the back of the audience.  Does it translate well for telly?  Well, that's personal opinion, I guess.

Oh, and my build will not be putting in an appearance in the show, but I know it's been seen at Cardiff as someone there wanted to see how it had come along.

zbigniev hamson

I can see that the corner posts are wider, but I really can't see any of the other differences at all. It's hard to see the walls looking particularly more set back, and as for the sign graphics.... they look exactly the same to me. I thought the 'P' looked a little different at one point, but looking a second time even that looks the same to me. I'm obviously losing my eye for detail :(