News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

A Change for the better?

Started by purpleblancmange, Apr 28, 2009, 04:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

purpleblancmange

Apr 28, 2009, 04:22 pm Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 09:43 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi Folks,

For a while now, I've been looking at the two variations on the New Series TARDIS prop and it got me thinking.  Which of the two do I prefer?

The MkI prop was obviously the bench mark for the return of the show and thus the prop and many of us TARDIS builders who have replicated the New Series style have gone for this version, mainly because it was only part way through series four that MkII debuted.

Although I do like MkI, it's actually MkII that I like better.  It takes the original design and tidies it up, plus it reverts slightly to the more "Classic" proportions and appears less stage prop-like.  Wider posts and deeper set walls, it also locks together in a far improved fashion than the original prop which was repeatedly screwed together.  The more I think about it, it looks very much like the redressed Newbery prop as used in Logopolis... which is one of my faves, if not the fave.

So here we are, a couple of shots of each prop:

TARDISteaser1.jpg
MkI:  Front view, narrow posts, shallow set walls, thinner windows.

DWS1BoomTown.jpg
Side view showing that the walls are a slightly different design to that of the front; the "dreaded" wide windows.  Let's not get into that debate, but this inconsistency kind of gives the build a certain charm, to my eyes at least.

DWS4TurnLeftPROMOSHOT.jpg
MkII:  Wider posts, deeper set doors (and walls), narrower windows, shallower set roof and different sign graphics... the same as used on all the toys weirdly.

DWSpecialonthestreet.jpg
An angled view, showing off the deeper set walls, plus you can see that the wall / door proportions are the same on all sides.

So folks, what do you think?  Do you prefer one over the other or don't you really care?  Just for fun.

karsthotep

Apr 28, 2009, 06:12 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:15 am by doctoriz
I would have to agree with you purple, the MKII looks a heap-ton better with the deeper inset walls and the wider posts.  MK II all the way.

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

atomicgraph

Apr 28, 2009, 09:33 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:16 am by doctoriz
i agree the mkII, really looks the best. the wide windows on the original looks almost.... childlike.... maybe that was the wrong word to use.

avadh

Apr 28, 2009, 10:06 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:16 am by doctoriz
They basically look all the same as its the same design. However the mark 2 box looks more in proportion and more accurate.

ThisJustinOnline

Apr 29, 2009, 01:29 am #4 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:16 am by doctoriz
Well the more I look at them I have to agree...the MKII looks far more like a shape and not simply just hastly done...like more thought and definition was given. How close are the overall dimentions?

geminitimelord

Apr 29, 2009, 03:05 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:17 am by doctoriz
I honestly dont see much of a difference at all. Maybe the MKII looks like the door panels are thinner as opposed to being square but other than that I struggle to notice any differences.

Doctor Iz

Apr 29, 2009, 03:27 am #6 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:17 am by doctoriz
Quote from: admin on Apr 28, 2009, 04:22 pmAlthough I do like MkI, it's actually MkII that I like better.  It takes the original design and tidies it up, plus it reverts slightly to the more "Classic" proportions and appears less stage prop-like.  Wider posts and deeper set walls, it also locks together in a far improved fashion than the original prop which was repeatedly screwed together.  The more I think about it, it looks very much like the redressed Newbery prop as used in Logopolis... which is one of my faves, if not the fave.

So folks, what do you think?  Do you prefer one over the other or don't you really care?  Just for fun.

Now that I can actually see the difference, I most certainly prefer the MkII myself for exactly the reasons you mentioned above. 

cheers,
Jon~
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

purpleblancmange

Apr 29, 2009, 08:56 am #7 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:18 am by doctoriz
Quote from: primrodo on Apr 29, 2009, 01:29 amHow close are the overall dimentions?

To be honest, there's just a fraction of an inch difference in the over all width of the prop, but of course because the posts are an inch (or there abouts) wider than previously, the wall widths reduce slightly to compensate.

However, just like the previous model - there is an inconsistency between the walls and the doors.  The window sizes are identical all the way around, but on the doors, they are set closer to the centre door diver, on the sides they are further away from the divider.

I tried to reason why this was and I came up with these possibilities;

1/  When the doors were made, it's quite possible that when it came to adding the phone panel, the door was flipped the wrong way around.  Technically then, what is now the outer surface should have been facing the inside of the prop.  Effectively it was a mistake, but having done this, they just left it.

2/  This inconsistency is a little nod to the MkI build, having the doors very slightly different to the walls.

Of the two, I'm more convinced that it was a mistake.  It's such an easy one to make as the doors are double sided and on face value, both sides more or less look identical, it's just that one stile (the upright lengths of timber) is fractionally wider than the other.

Go figure.

It is nice to see that this time around, the prop designers have gone back and tidied the design up and yes, it is very subtle Scott.  Now it looks like some thought has been put into it, while retaining the essence of the MkI.

atomicgraph

Apr 29, 2009, 04:21 pm #8 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:18 am by doctoriz
hey purple, your reason #1 is probably the correct reason. when i was building i did that exact same thing so basically on my build the doors are upside down. i didn't catch it until it was ready to mount, which at that point i just shrugged it off.... hey it still looks like a tardis right?

pod

Apr 30, 2009, 04:12 pm #9 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:19 am by doctoriz
Please don't hit me, but I've never liked the NST, and I never knew there was any variation at all. However, after reading the above, I have to say the mk II is better, as it's leaning towards a more classic look. I did notice the changes, but I thought I was just getting more used to the NST and it was looking more like my idea of "The TARDIS" to me!

anson

Jun 04, 2009, 09:07 am #10 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:19 am by doctoriz
Quote from: pod on Apr 30, 2009, 04:12 pmPlease don't hit me, but I've never liked the NST, and I never knew there was any variation at all. However, after reading the above, I have to say the mk II is better, as it's leaning towards a more classic look. I did notice the changes, but I thought I was just getting more used to the NST and it was looking more like my idea of "The TARDIS" to me!

I have to agree with pod on this. To me it always looked like a fan made box by someone who hadn't really done much research.
The windows bug me, the light fittings bug me and it looks fat.

I'd love to see an accurate looking Trench style box in the new series but I bet we'll end up with a slightly embellished version of this Tardis. 

peted

Jun 20, 2009, 11:09 am #11 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:20 am by doctoriz
It could be improved a whole lot more by simply:
1. Making the window frames of a decent thickness, instead of like twigs. It would make the box look so much less fragile. DUMP the garden lamp beacon and get a fresnel.
I can live with the lintels being TYJ style - but how about blue instead of black. And HEY - how about 1 font on the phone panel??? I still can't get over the fact that nobody has questioned it, even though it's been copied off the TYJ. The 2nd half doesn't even look like a font that would have been in existence between 1930 and the end of the 50s.
I might mock it up for fun, to see... unless someone has already done it!

*EDIT*

Quick knock up sketch to show how a few 'home improvements' might look...

et_couldbe.jpg

DoctorWho8

Jun 20, 2009, 06:46 pm #12 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:20 am by doctoriz
It's been rumored that the props will actually be modeled after Hartnell's, with white window frames and a St. John's Badge.
Bill Rudloff

peted

Jun 20, 2009, 07:41 pm #13 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:21 am by doctoriz
It would be lovely, but I doubt the re-con will go to that level.
After all, even in the classic series it only had that look for 3 years.

TBH, I don't care if it doesn't have chamfered corner posts
I don't care if it has 3 stacks or 2 stacks for the roof.
I just want it to look solid and believable as a prop. I don't mind 'squarer' panels - the TVM box looked great and had squarer panels.

The new series box has always had a 'knocked together' vibe to it that always left a nasty taste for me - the lamp, never quite fitting on it's pedastal and looking like it's falling apart. Wood showing through on edges that have been scuffed. Window frames clearly hot glued bits of mdf. Poor interior lighting effects that are clearly just halogen strips to the sides of the frames. Even the weathering looks rushed - the 'scraped' telephone panel. Hollow pillar caps clearly visible on screen. Lintel signs that look like they're brand new laser etched perspex rather than screen printed glass. The fact that you can see wood grain everywhere. Even wooden police boxes had enough coats of paint to hide the grain, otherwise the thing would have fallen down in a couple of years. Ugh.
I'd take the season 13 Brachaki at it's worst over this thing any day.

Scarfwearer

Jun 20, 2009, 08:44 pm #14 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 01:21 am by doctoriz
I've generally resisted passing judgment on the NST, but a while ago (5th July 2005 apparently...) I modified a picture of the NST to look more 'classic'. I don't think I ever posted it. The picture I started from was from a forum member not far from here. :)

new-tardis-lights.JPG

Crispin