Apr 18, 2024, 11:13 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Mike Verta's s18 TY-J

Started by mverta, Nov 14, 2018, 12:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bjones

Tis a thing of beauty.

Looks far better than the BBC versions ever did ;)

Bx

Kingpin

Well, it does help that there's a greater window of time being allowed for the construction, and potentially even a larger budget. :)

Plus I'm betting Mike's like a lot of us prop builders; he likes to overengineer his stuff. :)

mverta

May 02, 2019, 07:23 pm #362 Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:51 am by mverta
Whereas I will think about a design and all its implications from every angle like a chess player, my creative partner Jon is a real "Get 'er done," type of guy who's happy to build to .01" tolerance, but there might be a few cut welds and epoxy by the end. He is "forward progress"- minded and I'm "let's only do it once"-minded.  It's a good balance, and while the result might not be exactly over-engineered, it might not all have to have been solid steel...

But what's interesting is that we've crashed into some things as a result of the fiberglass, the fixes for which look remarkably similar to peculiarities on the original - more than once we've said, "They must've hit the same thing, which is why (x)."

Still, consider this: each wall weighs approximately 70 lbs; the base around 90, all locked tight, rigid steel understructure and STILL she wants to jiggle when you step inside.

We're fairly confident that once the roof is reinforced and actually bolted to the posts that will stop... But we're just not sure! What we are sure of is that if you took a running start and lept at this particular TARDIS, you'd regret it. You can roll her with your fingertips, but you could never push her over. She feels like concrete to the pounded fist, but with the resonant thud of fiberglass.

davidnagel

Only just clocked the backwards sign in one of the previous pictures, was that on purpose?
Regards
David

Rassilons Rod

Mike, did you get my email?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

mverta

@davidnagel - Temporary signs.  The backwards one was just testing something, so technically yes it's on purpose, but it doesn't represent anything significant.

@rassilon's rod - I did not, no. mverta3@hotmail.com? Perhaps try again? 

Thanks again, everyone, for the kind words and feedback!

Rassilons Rod

That's where I mailed you, yeah. Just tried again now.

Don't forget to check your spam :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

ThymeLorde

It's weird for this build diary to go quiet, especially after receiving daily updates for a month... any news to report on the TARDIS, Mike?
"An apple a day keeps the... no, never mind."

mverta

MAY 8, 2019

We were waiting on hinges, for which fellow TARDIS builders came through with flying colors.

Hingesnew.jpg

The next day, as the sun came up,we prepared to assemble the doors in earnest...

Lastday.jpg

...when I got the call summoning me back to Los Angeles for some work.

And so, we began assembling all the components for temporary storage.

Lastseal.jpg

I sealed all the precious stuff in a box...

Lastbox.jpg

And covered the old girl until I can return.

Wrappedfar.jpg

Wrappedclose.jpg

Should be back in June or July. All good things in time.

stonemason83

Hope we get to see more progress on this soon :-)
Shoes.?

mverta

Me, too - we have been slammed since the day we put the tarp on.  She's patiently waiting in the back for her (re)turn!

The_TARD1Sman

any ideas on plans yet?

mverta

Yes, the same idea - when it's done I'll produce plans of what it actually ended up being.

KIT-KAT

I COMMAND YOU TO FINISH THIS RIGHT NOW!
No, not the mind probe!

mverta

I know... she's sitting right next to us every day; we just keep getting slammed.  Ultimately, can't complain, but really looking forward to the next window.  We don't have that much left to do on her!