Apr 27, 2024, 02:52 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Series 4, TARDIS prop changed?

Started by watcher, Apr 05, 2008, 10:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

Apr 13, 2008, 03:33 am #15 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:46 pm by scarfwearer
Yeah.  It looks like they added a piece that goes over the sign boxes now.  Not sure if it is joined, though, to the top of the normally routered corner post tops.  It looks like it's inset, instead.  You can see the inset just to the right of the post cap and before the corner.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

purpleblancmange

Apr 13, 2008, 08:31 am #16 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:46 pm by scarfwearer
Last night's episode had two different boxes; the series 2 to 3 box was the one used in the Italy location scenes and one of the new ones for when the TARDIS is on the side of the mountain.

I'm now convinced that dimensionally they are the same, it's just that one of the new builds has a heavier wood grain.  The roof has been assembled differently on the new one though, if you remember a thread that I started about do I build my replica exactly the same as the originals, well the roof and sign box was what I wanted to change... oddly, very similar to how they've now done it.

The strip above the sign box now seems to be fixed to the roof and this gets around the issue of the roof not fitting if the box has been assembled on the wonk.  It's a very simple, yet effective change.

Still undecided yet as to when I'll be able to do my replica though... and Chris KB, I will be in touch - it's very hectic this week, but should calm down quite soon.

meantimebob

Apr 13, 2008, 02:37 pm #17 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:46 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: kiwidoc on Apr 13, 2008, 12:39 amH,,. from this weeksz making of picture show:

s4_02_ps_10.jpg

A new one-piece roof where the top of the posts is sitting on top?

I wish they'd sorted out that overhang of the lantern on the square base - it really bugs me.

purpleblancmange

Apr 13, 2008, 05:24 pm #18 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:46 pm by scarfwearer
Yeah, you can really tell that the lantern was found after the initial design process, hence the overhang - it does look a little silly at the end of the day.

I've been looking at some pictures of the new TARDIS (and indeed the old one) and I can now see what's going on - the side and back walls are set very slightly deeper in, but the doors aren't.  Took a while to twig why, but it makes sense.

The walls are (or were) attached by screwing them directly into the jambs that run up the corner posts, this of course is fine in the short term, but not in the long term and I know that it was starting to get rickety because of this. 

What they've now done is to rehang the wall jambs on the corner posts with a deeper set stock to allow for some metal threaded inserts.  This would mean that the walls can now bolt into place, rather than screw in.  The doors have been left in their original position because they are locked in with loose pin hinges.  So now we have more quirks on the box; the door windows being narrower than wall windows, the over hanging lantern and now from series four, deeper set walls that are set further back than the doors.

I'm just waiting for one side of the prop to be painted a completely different colour from the rest of the box.  Pink anyone?

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

handofomega

Apr 14, 2008, 12:19 am #20 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:47 pm by scarfwearer
So I am not crazy, the wall panals ARE INDEED more rectangular/less square than one the previous 3 series.  Thanks guys for clearing that up and letting us know that new Police Boxes were made for series 4.   I thought I had lost my mind when watching it this morning.

Also was it just me or do the exterior doors on the TARDIS interior look like they re-did them too???   Made them match the Police Box props????   Looked that way to me.  ;D

purpleblancmange

Apr 26, 2008, 11:24 am #21 Last Edit: Oct 31, 2010, 11:43 pm by Scarfwearer
Hey gang, I was just having a chinwag with Dale and he sent me a picture of the TARDIS from the new series, suddenly all the questions about whether or not it has changed were answered... well has it?  

Yes and no.

The old prop has been modified as I mentioned before, however the new prop is a little bit different - which is weird as the Beeb are using both in series 4.  Continuity errors to ensue.

Check these out:

OLD PROP
[noIMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/tubularbells/th_05.jpg[/img]

NEW PROP
[noIMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/tubularbells/th_newDIS01.jpg[/img]

In the second picture, the windows look more rectangular than before, but they're not - the doors have been properly centred this time, so that the widows and panels are no-longer off set.  But the biggest change, apart from the walls / doors being set deeper into the prop are the corner posts.

Check 'em out - they're now much wider than before, almost the same width as the height of the sign box.

Add all this together and you get a really subtle change that makes the prop look somewhat different.  Over all, the dims are as they were, just the posts are wider and the windows / panels being centred.  It would not take much effort to adjust your old plans for the prop and create the new version.

Oh - and there is a bevel on the new base - it's just not too clear in this shot.

Enjoy

DoctorWho8

Apr 26, 2008, 01:50 pm #22 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:47 pm by scarfwearer
It looks to me that they made the sides of the doors by the corner posts the same width as the inside of the doors.  This is making the panels roughly 1 in. wider, that would mean that the door sign would have to be wider.  Also, it looks like on the new prop that the base is shorter by 1 in.  Also, the door handles on the new prop are not even with each other.  They are even on the old prop.  Ah, the Chameleon Circuit is going to be in flux this year.

purpleblancmange

Apr 26, 2008, 02:08 pm #23 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:47 pm by scarfwearer
Seeing as we're talking about doors here, they are centred - the windows etc are the same size, a simple overlay confirms this.  It's just the weird way that the original doors were hung has now been sorted out.  It's difficult to explain without pictures... which I don't have.

Think of it this way; on the original (series one to three) prop, if you removed the pins from both door hinges, they'd just fall through the door appeture because they were hung in this silly way.  With the new type, they've centred the doors so that the hings are well behind the door jamb - now if you took the pins out, the doors wouldn't be able to fall through the door appeture.

Over all, it's just a few small areas that are different and because of this, we get a whole new set of prop geometary going on.

DoctorWho8

Apr 26, 2008, 06:32 pm #24 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:47 pm by scarfwearer
So I guess I should make a Series 4 variant of the drawing then?

watcher

Apr 26, 2008, 08:55 pm #25 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:47 pm by scarfwearer
The changes to the prop really stood out in tonight's episode, (26th April). When the tardis landed in the alley and the doctor was talking to Martha! You could clearly see the fact that the walls are deeper sat as mentioned by purple.

I must say, the prop looks alot better for it!  :)

Also, did anyone else notice that there seems to be a section of the signpost missing? After the word "BOX" it looks like its broken off!? This is on the side facing the camera in the "Alley/Martha" scene.

dalethetimelord

Apr 27, 2008, 01:03 am #26 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:48 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: doctorwho8 on Apr 26, 2008, 01:50 pmIt looks to me that they made the sides of the doors by the corner posts the same width as the inside of the doors.  This is making the panels roughly 1 in. wider, that would mean that the door sign would have to be wider.  Also, it looks like on the new prop that the base is shorter by 1 in.  Also, the door handles on the new prop are not even with each other.  They are even on the old prop.  Ah, the Chameleon Circuit is going to be in flux this year.
Bill  Rudloff

They're NOT going to rebuild every prop they've got to fix a problem that simply rehanging the doors in a slightly different position solves in seconds.  It's fast, cheap and effective, as opposed to your solution which would take weeks, and a vast amount of cash.  This is a TV show made on a relatively small budget remember.

DoctorWho8

Apr 27, 2008, 04:04 am #27 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:48 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: dalethetimelord on Apr 27, 2008, 01:03 am
They're NOT going to rebuild every prop they've got to fix a problem that simply rehanging the doors in a slightly different position solves in seconds.  It's fast, cheap and effective, as opposed to your solution which would take weeks, and a vast amount of cash.  This is a TV show made on a relatively small budget remember.

I was just giving my first impressions.  Purple explained it so it makes sense now.  I guess we're going to play the games of "Is it the Series 1-3 Prop or the Series 4 Prop?".  Just like in the Peter Davison days of "Is it the Newberry Prop or the Yardley Jones Prop?".
Bill Rudloff

atomicgraph

Apr 28, 2008, 01:02 am #28 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:48 pm by scarfwearer
all i can say is the show looks great i just watched partners in crime effects were good and it delivered exactly what i want from the series. i look the look of the revamped tardis. as for the changes to it, my son asked once "why is the tardis always different"? i think it adds to the "mystic" of the show, it seems to introduce new ideas into you, just like the show always has.

Rassilons Rod

Apr 28, 2008, 03:27 am #29 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:48 pm by scarfwearer
Personally, I didn't like Partners in Crime so much... And I thought the CG in it was pretty bloody awful. Mind you, the concept behind the CG was pretty bad too IMHO.

But the following 3 episodes have all kicked ass :)

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.