News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Series 4, TARDIS prop changed?

Started by watcher, Apr 05, 2008, 10:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

watcher

Apr 05, 2008, 10:03 pm Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:50 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi,
Was it just my imagination, or did the TARDIS look a little different in PIC? (partners in crime)

Has the prop been modified in any way???!!!

Im not the only one who's noticed it though, a thread has started about it on "outpost gallifrey".

purpleblancmange

Apr 05, 2008, 10:44 pm #1 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:43 pm by scarfwearer
Dimensionally, it looked the same to me - though tonight's episode does look like the new build which has a much deeper wood grain on the timber surface.  Of course seeing it mainly in the dark with the window lights on probably pronounces the effect that the door windows are more narrow than those on the walls, as they have always been.

There's an episode coming up soon that was shot at my mate's house and the TARDIS there was certainly the one used from series two onwards.

Oh, and I must thank Dale for phoning me 10 minutes before the start tonight to remind me that it was on.  I only discovered that the series was due to start the other day!  Bit behind with the news this end.

kiwidoc

Apr 06, 2008, 02:45 am #2 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:43 pm by scarfwearer
Forgetting the new series?  Careful now, people may start to think you're actually a slightly busy guy Purple!  ;)

If someone had been able to digitally record the new series opener and at some point, in some location, play it back through a computer based viewing program at less than fullscreen by accident they may well have thought that the box looked different, almost Hudolin-like:

th_reszedthomasbox.jpg

but other than that I wouldn't have picked a difference.
Although since I'm on the other side of the world I couldn't possibly offer any opinion until it screens in my country.   :-X

Quote from: purpleblancmange board=newbury thread=1207433008 post=1207435463Dimensionally, it looked the same to me - though tonight's episode does look like the new build which has a much deeper wood grain on the timber surface.  Of course seeing it mainly in the dark with the window lights on probably pronounces the effect that the door windows are more narrow than those on the walls, as they have always been.

There's an episode coming up soon that was shot at my mate's house and the TARDIS there was certainly the one used from series two onwards.

Oh, and I must thank Dale for phoning me 10 minutes before the start tonight to remind me that it was on.  I only discovered that the series was due to start the other day!  Bit behind with the news this end.

atomicgraph

Apr 06, 2008, 01:12 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:44 pm by scarfwearer
going on just that pic i'd have to say it does look a little different. the wall panels look more rectangle and the roof looks taller and chunkier  and as some one else mentioned the walls look like they are set back a little more... i could be wrong maybe its just the photo. either way i can't wait for the new season to start here in the states

purpleblancmange

Apr 06, 2008, 02:02 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:44 pm by scarfwearer
The point Glen was illustrating was that the picture he posted is distorted, giving the impression that it has new dimensions.  From what I've seen so far, I think it's as it was before... I'll wait until I see more or the prop.

EDIT:  I have to say though, the side walls do look further in though.  Forgot to say that.

chriskingbees

Apr 06, 2008, 03:55 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:44 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
There is something very strange about this picture.
Look at the roof, on the right hand side, as we look at it

CopyofPICBox.jpg

It appears to be missing, or the side panel is angling out at the rear. See what I mean? It just doesn't look right somehow
KB

mugsyuk

Apr 06, 2008, 07:42 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:44 pm by scarfwearer
The new prop is pretty much the same. They built 2 new boxes at the start of series 4, mind they did some hefty damage to one while it was onl location. The two new ones are also fibreglass. At least it felt like it.

watcher

Apr 06, 2008, 09:22 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:44 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: mugsyuk board=newbury thread=1207433008 post=1207510930The new prop is pretty much the same. They built 2 new boxes at the start of series 4, mind they did some hefty damage to one while it was onl location. The two new ones are also fibreglass. At least it felt like it.

I wasn't aware then built new props for series 4???!!!

So maybe it has been altered slightly?

Looking at my "undistorted" sky+ recording, it does look different! Taller roof maybe?

mugsyuk

Apr 06, 2008, 11:23 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:45 pm by scarfwearer
THe replacements were sadly very much needed due to "wear and tear" on the previous versions,  Whats left of one of those is still being held tho its in a shocking state. As far as I know there are two "filming" models and one "wooden" box that is used for exhibitions and events. That said its also in an apauling state.

DoctorWho8

Apr 07, 2008, 12:20 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:45 pm by scarfwearer
Too bad they can't auction off the old screen props.  They'd probably got for mad money.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

atomicgraph

Apr 07, 2008, 10:59 pm #10 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:45 pm by scarfwearer
i can imagine that they  take a lot of damage from being set up and torn down. i'm sure the guys who move it around must be thankful thankful that the new ones are fiberglass. it may ba a compact space ship but it is still a very large tardis

willytron

Apr 10, 2008, 04:18 pm #11 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:45 pm by scarfwearer
This pic looks stretched to me, but I don't know.  Whatever the reason the prop looks very Brachacki.
Does anyone know when series 4 starts in the states?  Will it be on sci fi or bbc america?

exilea

Apr 10, 2008, 04:25 pm #12 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:45 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: willytron on Apr 10, 2008, 04:18 pmThis pic looks stretched to me, but I don't know.  Whatever the reason the prop looks very Brachacki.
Does anyone know when series 4 starts in the states?  Will it be on sci fi or bbc america?

April 18th on Scifi last I heard
Ladies and gentlemen and variations thereupon...

willytron

Apr 10, 2008, 04:28 pm #13 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 02:45 pm by scarfwearer
AWESOME!  Dude, thats like next week!  Thanks for that bit of info, I'd have been pissed if I had missed it!
No more TARDIS building on Friday nights for me.  I also gotta knock off early saturday night, so that I can re-watch utopia and sound of drums on BBC America.  Those last three episodes of series three are just awesome, no matter how many times I see them.

kiwidoc

Apr 13, 2008, 12:39 am #14 Last Edit: Mar 12, 2018, 09:12 pm by Scarfwearer
H,,. from this weeksz making of picture show:

s4_02_ps_10.jpg

A new one-piece roof where the top of the posts is sitting on top?