Apr 19, 2024, 01:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

No love for the Newbery box?

Started by lespaceplie, Jul 15, 2008, 11:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

meantimebob

The one in the tennis court was made of wood. It was definitely the Newbery. The one in the big tent was the fibreglass TYJ. I really can't see them bothering to fit a new wooden back onto the Newbery, which matched exactly, just for the weekend.

galacticprobe

Jul 15, 2011, 05:03 am #16 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2011, 05:03 am by galacticprobe
They may have already had an extra "wall" on hand for repair work. The side and back walls should have been identical, and if one of the sides suffered damage they would have wanted to have a spare available to slap in place (or so one might think). That could have been the back that was put in place for the exhibit, which would explain why it matched so well. (Possibility?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lorisarvendu

The question is, if I make a model, do I leave the back off for accuracy?? ???

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

gerald lovell

Well, I took some screencaps of "The Masque of Mandragora" to try and verify my conjecture that the back of the TARDIS used by the Doctor and Sarah to hide from the Mandroga Helix was in fact the side of it, and I have to admit the screencaps are inconclusive!  ???

DoctorWho8

Robots of Death - you'll see the lacking back sign box when in the grain bin.  Should help with the no back supporters.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

No sign box on the rear... That is certainly true. But just because we never see the back, doesn't mean it's not there ;)

vlcsnap-2011-07-17-12h39m11s11.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

lorisarvendu

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jul 16, 2011, 11:08 pm
Robots of Death - you'll see the lacking back sign box when in the grain bin.  Should help with the no back supporters.

Oh please don't say "no back supporters"! It's just a small step from there to "Half-human deniers" and "Brachaki haters", like a certain other forum I could mention!  ;)

Rassilons Rod

Jul 17, 2011, 11:21 am #23 Last Edit: Jul 17, 2011, 11:21 am by rassilonsrod
Here is another image from "The Deadly Assassin" - I hadn't noticed before (or hadn't remembered?) that they don't show it dematerialise from the front...

Something at least, appears to be happening where a sign box would be, though I'm not sure what it is...
vlcsnap-2011-07-17-14h14m40s78.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

I wonder if it's the power cord for the light.  You can see the shine of a black cord.

Rassilons Rod

Jul 17, 2011, 06:44 pm #25 Last Edit: Jul 17, 2011, 06:46 pm by rassilonsrod
Yes... It looks like there is a hatch (much like on the new series boxes) I wonder if there IS a back wall but no sign. The TARDIS library states that there is a back wall. I've been doing some grabbing today and there certainly IS one for Logopolis, but that is all I can conclude. And even then, we only see the inside of it.

It does look like they might have added a sign box by that stage too. What I have been wondering, if indeed it had no back wall prior to then, is if they used the TYJ wooden former for the back wall, or if they just bolted the front doors on there... I haven't yet established if the left side (for example) is the same left side pre-logopolis or if we're now looking at what was the back.

But I do think the front is still the front. There is some artexing on the right pillar at the top which I think matches.
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

There's very obviously no sign on the back in Stones of Blood too. Not sure why they couldn't be bothered to put one on there, maybe they assumed it would never be seen from that angle.

As for Logopolis, isn't that when they changed the doors and replaced them with, either the wooden formers for the TYJ or fibreglass pulls from the same molds?

Rassilons Rod

Jul 17, 2011, 07:45 pm #27 Last Edit: Jul 18, 2011, 12:11 am by rassilonsrod
I have just discovered a photo which proves that the back wall didn't exist (at least for this one story).

vlcsnap-2011-07-17-22h39m29s237.jpg

Yeah, that is true about Logopolis. I have read that it was the original TYJ doors (and roof) that was used,
not fibreglass pulls.

So now, the question about the Logopolis refurb is (assuming there never was a back wall) did they:

• just put the TYJ door formers in the hole in the back, and then call it the front?

• just put a blank board in for the interior shot?

But I'm not really sure that one photo proves it...

I'm not definitively saying it's not the case though... As this post shows, it was never MEANT to have a back.
Though the plans do say "FRAMED HD/BD PANEL"

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1988.msg22998#msg22998
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Jul 18, 2011, 06:31 am #28 Last Edit: Jul 18, 2011, 06:33 am by galacticprobe
The above photo looks like it was taken during a rehearsal for "Horror of Fang Rock". They may not have put a back on for the rehearsal and I don't think that particular angle was used in that story. (I'll have to pull my DVD and check it.)

But this discussion could go on forever - yes there was a back; no there wasn't; the comment about using just a blank for the "Logopolis" interior shot... and things could heat up with some people being referred to as the "no-back supporters" or the "Brachacki haters" - "half-human deniers"... I'm still trying to figure out where that one fits in, but you forgot "Rivet counters". (Good grief; you've dragged me into that one now, too! :o)

Maybe it's time for someone to shoot Purple a quick e-mail to see what his take is on this one. He's a walking encyclopedia when it comes to TARDIS info (Classic 'Doctor Who' info especially, actually). Whether the Newbery had a back or not, chances are Purple would know.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

It was indeed a rehearsal photo (I took it from the photo gallery) and no, they didn't shoot from this angle.

I think I got only one shot from the story itself, because it's so dark and foggy.

However, the thing about this photo that I believe DOES lend credence to the "no back" theory, is the shape of the back pillars. If you look at the back of the box you might just be able to make out that they are not L shaped, more l shaped...

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.