Apr 16, 2024, 07:38 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

No love for the Newbery box?

Started by lespaceplie, Jul 15, 2008, 11:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Jul 15, 2008, 11:22 pm Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:09 pm by Scarfwearer
I've searched around here and found very little info for the short prop, so I thought a new thread is in order.

First, The TARDIS Library mentions that this prop is in the hands of a collector. Anyone know who?

Despite the deviation from the other designs (though the NS prop seems even odder), I'm surprised this one isn't more popular. Its design might've been the most practical, and it was the prop used during the high ratings era of the classic series.

I'm encouraged to build a model, but there are a few details to iron out.

purpleblancmange

Jul 16, 2008, 08:18 am #1 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:07 pm by scarfwearer
Well I for one really like this prop and in its Logopolis guise, it's my favourite of them all!

My only issue with it is that if I made one, I'd probably go for the season 17 version, but give it an extra set of sign boxes and the roof extension (for the s18 version) - the problem here is that there is a continuity error with it in episode one of Logopolis;

When we first see it with the police man, the lock is on the right hand door.  The next time we see it, the lock has been moved to the left hand door and the centre door divider is also swapped over.  Quite why they did this is not known, though I have my suspicions - but clearly in the episode you can see the wet paint covering the old lock hole.

I do recall seeing it being auctioned off in 1983, but who it went to, other than a private museum, I don't know.

Rassilons Rod

Jul 16, 2008, 09:03 am #2 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:07 pm by scarfwearer
Didn't they use the sign boxes from the newbury on one of the TYJ boxes later on?

What condition was the box in when it was auctioned off?

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

purpleblancmange

Jul 16, 2008, 09:13 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
The sign boxes in Logopolis were just the old ones re-clad, then in Castrovalva they were rebuilt and looked different again - so the prop (technically) had three designs of sign boxes.  It was the last type that were used on the front of the TYJ box during season 19.

As for the condition of it during the auction, well to the 8 year old me at the time, it looked all in one piece, but it was in the condition as seen in Black Orchid.  Someone once told me that he'd seen the prop up close (within the last 10 years) but on further investigation, it turned out that the guy was speaking out of his rear end because absolutely nothing of what he said tallied even with the basic of details.  Needless to say, I completely discounted that lead.

Rassilons Rod

Jul 16, 2008, 11:59 am #4 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
Hang on, I'm getting a bit lost now...

Did one of the TYJ boxes end up with the Newberry signs or not?  ???
Public Enema Number One.

purpleblancmange

Jul 16, 2008, 01:06 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
Yes, the answer is in this paragraph about the Newbury prop.

Quote from: purpleblancmange on Jul 16, 2008, 09:13 amThe sign boxes in Logopolis were just the old ones re-clad, then in Castrovalva they were rebuilt and looked different again - so the prop (technically) had three designs of sign boxes.  It was the last type that were used on the front of the TYJ box during season 19.

The last bit there being hightlighted because that's the answer to your question.

:)

Rassilons Rod

Jul 16, 2008, 02:02 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
Ah I see... So the ones that ended up on the TYJ were a new build altogether :)

Forgive me if I'm being a bit thick today... Snowed under (in a work sense... not a weather sense, its rather hot here).

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

Dematerialiser

Jul 16, 2008, 03:08 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
I love the Newbery box as well - I tried to put some small Newbery-esque details into my build, the details I like basically: the width of the signbox aperture and the signboxes themselves being deeper, the posts which have less space taken up by beading (giving them more apparent width) and the overall extremities (the way the signboxes and base stick out - the standard TYJ is quite low-profile by comparison, and I like the chunky look :) Anyway, only small details I know, but my way of getting some Newbery into the my own design. Wouldn't mind a proper Newbery replica one day though  :D

cheers
Chris

avadh

Jul 16, 2008, 09:30 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:08 pm by scarfwearer
A favourite of mine too, the newbery tardis. There are touches of it in the design of the new series tardis props.

anotherwheeze

Nov 04, 2008, 12:48 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2010, 11:09 pm by scarfwearer
My fave too - especially in Logopolis.

gerald lovell

I'm a newbie here, so apologies for my opinion, but I've never had great love for the Newbery box (at least in its original form) and, like others on this forum, I am convinced it never had a back wall.  It was reused on "Castrovalva" in its renovated form partly for that reason as it was easier to rest it on the bank as there was no back to it and on "Black Orchid" as there were so many people required to traipse through it in Part Two!

meantimebob

It most certainly had a back wall at the Longleat celebration in 1983 when it was on the tennis court. I know cos I went in it.

Didn't it also have a back wall in its first story when Tom swings Lis round the back to take cover from the Helix Energy?

lorisarvendu

It's probably the least iconic looking box, most likely because it wasn't around for long enough.  I personally don't really remember it at the time, though I did grow up with Tom & Sarah.  I suppose I ought to make a model of it next... :)

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

gerald lovell

Quote from: meantimebob on Jul 14, 2011, 07:48 pm
It most certainly had a back wall at the Longleat celebration in 1983 when it was on the tennis court. I know cos I went in it.

Didn't it also have a back wall in its first story when Tom swings Lis round the back to take cover from the Helix Energy?

They may have added one on for Longleat (I was there too and I thought it was a later box!), but it's the side of the box that Tom and Lis cower around in "The Masque of Mandragora", though it's supposed to be the back of it.