Mar 29, 2024, 05:03 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Photobucket TARDIS Spotting

Started by davidnagel, Jun 24, 2008, 03:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Jun 24, 2008, 03:44 pm Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:22 pm by Scarfwearer
Similar to kiwidoc's thread 'Flickr TARDIS Spotting' but for that other image hosting site, photobucket.com

I found this image of a box, what a state its in, is this the same box Dale Who and co. (or was it JUST Dale?) renovated?

P1000133.jpg

~David.
Regards
David

davidnagel

Jul 03, 2008, 03:09 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 10:30 am by scarfwearer
I was *about* to ask why it has doors both sides..... but then realised.... so nevermind.

So any other photobucket TARDISes anyway?
Regards
David

Rassilons Rod

Jun 24, 2008, 05:12 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:20 pm by scarfwearer
OMG! What have they done to the poor thing!!! :O

I feel so bad for Dale & Co. Their work looks so wasted :(

-Marc

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

Jun 24, 2008, 05:38 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:20 pm by scarfwearer
And that's the back of the box.  I think the front is in a little better shape.
Bill Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

Jun 24, 2008, 05:53 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:20 pm by scarfwearer
Funny I spotted that fact as I just came to read your post saying as much :)

I saw the front "Police Public Call Box" sign in the gap...

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

avadh

Jun 24, 2008, 10:39 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:20 pm by scarfwearer
I would just love to restore the box back to its all glory again. This is the tardis that I grew up with all those years ago in the days of the classic series.

Its such a shame that the box has been damaged time and time again and the BBC have allowed this to happen. Looking at the picture of the box the sign box appears to have been twisted somehow. Some of the door hinges appear to be missing especially at the bottom as there is a gap between the left corner post and the left hand side door. The lamp housing is missing as well as the police box sign. But worst of all is the base which has been really torn apart.

davidnagel

Jun 25, 2008, 08:19 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:21 pm by scarfwearer
Could it be possibly that this picture was taken BEFORE restoration?
Regards
David

purpleblancmange

Jun 25, 2008, 08:40 am #7 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:21 pm by scarfwearer
No, this picture could only have been taken, at latest, two summers ago.  I know this because me and a mate took quite large paint samples from various areas of the prop - mainly the rear corner posts (which we can see in this shot) and the wall to the left of the back doors.  The paint is still there, so this must have been taken before I got my mitts on it.

Rassilons Rod

Jun 25, 2008, 10:11 am #8 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:21 pm by scarfwearer
So basically, thats PRE-restoration?

Thats a relief... (Or do you mean there have been 2 restorations?)

-Marc
Public Enema Number One.

purpleblancmange

Jun 25, 2008, 10:38 am #9 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 04:21 pm by scarfwearer
Sorry, it's post Dale and Co's restoration.  After they delivered it, it got ruined again and the Beeb bods just slapped a load of paint over it to hide the damage - or at least to disguise it a little.  This picture is more or less how it looks now, though as I said, I did take several paint samples from it because once you have them, you turn the paint over on to its reverse and you have the original paint colour - perfect for colour matching.

The paint is so thick on it that it actually hides a lot of the detail - like the moulded in texturing that the prop has.  If you turn the sample onto its side, you can actually see the different layers of paint, but the great thing is that the bods were not thorough in their painting, instead of sanding off the old, they just painted on top of it.  You can see the original colour, plus the pink from The Happiness Patrol in the middle and the newer layers on top of that.  If anything, it's the pink paint that binds all the other paints together and has turned it into a sort of rubbery coating - had it not still been there, we'd have not been able to get such large and perfect samples.

As far as I'm aware, the prop is now supposedly in storage, waiting for the day that it will get restored.  However, after last year's financial turmoil at the BBC - it looks like this project is dead in the water for now.  It's taken  5 plus years to at least rescue the box, a few more years can flow by I guess.  We shall see.

who11dr

i was just watching the trial of a time lord (or toatl for shot) and i realized that when the doctor stepped out of it on thoros beta i notice that the phone panel was missing, could this be the back doors of the box? like seen in the photograph at the top?
toatl phone pannel 1.jpgtoatl phone pannel.jpg
"if he gets in to trouble as a result of it i will never forgive him self!"- the sixth doctor, the two doctors

Rassilons Rod

The lock is on the right here, if that says anything... The sign was just stuck onto the door as needed, front or back. Clearly they forgot here, or temporarily misplaced it.

Unfortunately I don't know the TYJ well enough to say front or back, but I'm going to guess front anyway :)
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

Quote from: who11dr on Jun 26, 2013, 07:46 pm
i was just watching the trial of a time lord (or toatl for shot) and i realized that when the doctor stepped out of it on thoros beta i notice that the phone panel was missing, could this be the back doors of the box? like seen in the photograph at the top?
toatl phone pannel 1.jpg

Much like how the lamp was left behind in Revelation of the Daleks (and one was mocked up on location), this too was another case where the door sign was accidentally left behind.  What you see are the "front" doors as of Season 19 of the MK1. You can tell it's the MK1 because the lock has several layers of paint on it, whereas the MK2 had an unpainted lock.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

who11dr

oh yeh i see what you mean, plus i noticed four screw holes in each corner of the panel
"if he gets in to trouble as a result of it i will never forgive him self!"- the sixth doctor, the two doctors