Apr 19, 2024, 11:25 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Master

Started by russellsuthern, Jun 07, 2018, 10:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Yep. It's good that I'm smart enough to keep my mouth shut, because once again, I am amazed at how this is turning out.  The robes are brilliant.  I'd have never guessed you could do them so well.  [intended lighthearted comments redacted until I get a chance to consider them sober].
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Jun 11, 2018, 07:43 am #16 Last Edit: Jun 11, 2018, 08:12 am by russellsuthern
Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments.

Volpone...Some interesting points raised actually...

I actually sometimes dislike posting unfinished builds, or works in progress, because I look at them & think "Aarghhh! It looks awful!!"
Often things do look a bit strange mid-build, then come together at the end. When looking at other builds on various internet sites, I sometimes also reserve judgement, because sometimes I think, "well, It's not finished, let's see how it turns out..."

(I also try hard to follow "Thumpers" principal: "If ya ain't got nuthun' nice to say, then don't say nuthin' at all!")

The other thing is, & this is purely an ego thing on my part, sometimes I'll post a pic, someone will give me some advice on what to do next, & I'll think, "Gaaahh! I was going to do that anyway!! Now everyone will think I'm doing it because I was advised to, not because I thought of it in the first place!!!"

However, this is just one of my less pleasant quirks, so please don't stop giving advice, guys, because firstly, It's extremely useful & secondly, It's helping me become a better person!

The other thing I was going to say was: I sometimes post "funny" comments, that are a bit near the knuckle, (especially after a drink or two...) then when I re read them I think, "Hmmm ... That really could be taken the wrong way..." Sometimes I even delete the post if It's too bad.

But any post I make, even if it is a bit cheeky, is always made with love!
(Usually, the cheekier I am, the more I like the person!)

The last thing I, or anyone here on TB want to do is deliberately upset anyone, but the trouble with the written word is that it doesn't have the same tonal indications as verbal speech, so can sometimes be taken the wrong way.

I always assume that if someone makes a cheeky comment on one of my threads, that it is posted in a similar vein. Everyone on TB is so friendly, I can't imagine anyone being deliberately spiky.

The drink does make it worse (I think there is an unwritten rule on T'Internet... Don't post drunk!!)

But I would say, Post away! I actually quite like the odd cheeky comment, even if it does make me raise an eyebrow & think, "Cheeky bugger....!" Of course, it gives me the chance to wing a cheeky comment right back!!

I'm going to sign off now, as I'm getting close to stealing the "random rambling champion" title from Dino...

See, I done it again!! ::)

(Blimey, I think I need a drink myself!!)

Best regards,

Russell

galacticprobe

Jun 12, 2018, 04:18 am #17 Last Edit: Jun 12, 2018, 05:06 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: russellsuthern on Jun 11, 2018, 07:43 am
I actually sometimes dislike posting unfinished builds, or works in progress, because I look at them & think "Aarghhh! It looks awful!!"
Often things do look a bit strange mid-build, then come together at the end. When looking at other builds on various internet sites, I sometimes also reserve judgement, because sometimes I think, "well, It's not finished, let's see how it turns out..."

There is the saying that you are your own worst critic, so what could look "Aarghhh!" to you, could look "Well, that's coming together nicely" to the rest of us. And your point about reserving judgment: "It's not finished, let's see how it turns out..." can be driven home with this video demo:

(Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI)

The moral of that one is, anything can look good if one works hard enough on it, so no one should be too critical of their "work-in-progress" photos. ;) ;D

The other thing is, & this is purely an ego thing on my part, sometimes I'll post a pic, someone will give me some advice on what to do next, & I'll think, "Gaaahh! I was going to do that anyway!! Now everyone will think I'm doing it because I was advised to, not because I thought of it in the first place!!!"

Ah... there are three ways of handling this sort of situation. One, as mentioned already, is to bleed heavily through the nose like they do in Japanese Anime as you scream at the walls "Gaaahh!..." and worry yourself sick over it. (Not that I've ever done that with something - usually work-related at the time - but moving on.) A second way is to post up a reply thanking the member for the suggestion (always nice to do anyway), and say, as I've done more often than I can remember, "I would never have thought of that!" (How many times have I posted one of those in several of our members' build diaries? More than I can count... and it's usually because it's something I never would have thought of.) The third way is to post up a thank you, and add in "Funny you should mention that because it's exactly how I've been going at it."

So of all the above choices, I would just avoid that first one (it's not good for the blood pressure), and stick with one of the other two. (No one will ever think you're doing something just because you were advised to. And what if you were? It's what we're all about here: offering advice, and accepting it, and sometimes being ahead of it - occasionally right beside it - but it's the sharing of ideas to help people. After all; we can't all of us read each other's minds, so we have no way of knowing that someone is planning, or already has planned, a suggestion that's being put forth. (So hopefully this puts your mind at ease. :))

However, this is just one of my less pleasant quirks, so please don't stop giving advice, guys, because firstly, It's extremely useful & secondly, It's helping me become a better person!

Well... I think we've all got some sort of less pleasant quirks about us. It's what makes us who we are. (And I doubt that we'd stop giving advice... unless we were specifically asked to stop giving advice, which I can only see happening during a game of Solitaire, which is negated when someone offers advice. ;)) And for the record, you're already a great person.

The other thing I was going to say was: I sometimes post "funny" comments, that are a bit near the knuckle, (especially after a drink or two...) then when I re read them I think, "Hmmm ... That really could be taken the wrong way..." Sometimes I even delete the post if It's too bad.

But any post I make, even if it is a bit cheeky, is always made with love!
(Usually, the cheekier I am, the more I like the person!)

Hmmm... I had no idea you liked me that much, Russell! ;D ;D ;D

The last thing I, or anyone here on TB want to do is deliberately upset anyone, but the trouble with the written word is that it doesn't have the same tonal indications as verbal speech, so can sometimes be taken the wrong way.

This is something I've often said myself. There is also no facial expression for someone to read. A comment could be spoken without inflection, but it's that one raised eyebrow, that hint of a one-sided smile, that gives the comment the intended meaning. It's also one of the reasons why I'll sometimes add in little asides <he says with a wink> to let everyone know that my comment is in jest... and I'll also add several super-smileys ( ;D) to help that along as well. (The more I add, the more jocular the comment is intended to be. I've seen others do that as well.)

I always assume that if someone makes a cheeky comment on one of my threads, that it is posted in a similar vein. Everyone on TB is so friendly, I can't imagine anyone being deliberately spiky.

You should see my hair around Halloween when I grow it out a little, and it looks like that guy from 'Ancient Aliens'! ;D ;D ;D

The drink does make it worse (I think there is an unwritten rule on T'Internet... Don't post drunk!!)

Very true. I've had some friends fall victim to this on places like Facebook and Twitter. (And once it's out there, you can't get rid of it. Sure, you can delete it, but by then dozens of people have re-tweeted or Face-shared it, and the proverbial genie it out of the bottle.)

But I would say, Post away!

Oh... Trust me... I think we will! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I actually quite like the odd cheeky comment, even if it does make me raise an eyebrow & think, "Cheeky bugger....!"

This is good to know; it confirms that you do have eyebrows! <said laughing like Renfield>

Of course, it gives me the chance to wing a cheeky comment right back!!

I think I've been the recipient of a few already. So as we said in the military during one of our training drills, "Standing by to receive incoming fire!" :D

I'm going to sign off now, as I'm getting close to stealing the "random rambling champion" title from Dino...

Oi! I resemble that remark! ;D

See, I done it again!! ::)

Of course... so naturally I had to "out-ramble" you (though, we probably shouldn't make a habit of this. ;))

(Blimey, I think I need a drink myself!!)

Well, since my medication really doesn't let me have those drinks of which you speak, have an extra one for me!

Best regards,

Russell

And to you, my friend!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

bearded4th

Adam Savage is an inspiration, all jokes aside.

russellsuthern

Bearded4th:  I'm embarrassed to admit I had to google Adam Savage...

Dino: I humbly bow my head to you & consider myself well & truly out-rambled!!

Small update, just finishing off, really.

I made another Rod of Rassilon out of a bit of clothes rack & a kids ball.
A bit more accurate... Not totally, but enough for my needs.

mc3.jpg

Intense & prolonged study of screen grabs led me to the conclusion that I had painted my masks face too dark, so I lightened it with some yellow paint:

mc1.jpg

I then sprayed it with a hefty layer of clear laquer to make it look shiny & slimy.
This pic shows the mask with my other props: the gloves & gun.
Also shown is a Sash of Rassilon I'm knocking up.
I don't like the colour, so I'm going to attack it with the metallic gold paint this afternoon...

mc2.jpg

Nearly there now...

Thanks for reading...

Russell

russellsuthern

A quick sash of Rassilon knocked up...
Looks better with gold paint...

mc3.jpg

TTFN

Russ

russellsuthern

Well, here's a rum do & no mistake!

My missus loves old British comedy on UK TV Gold.

We were watching an old episode of "You rang M'Lord?"

And this is what I saw in the background:

20180612_151633.jpg

I'll bet a pound to a penny that Grandfather clock is the Master's TARDIS!

Now I know where he went into hiding after fleeing Gallifrey...

Top hole!!!

Russell

ciderman

Good Spot! I always thought a good 'twist' in the series would be for the Doctors hatstand to be the Master's spare Tardis. Hidden safe in the console room...

meantimebob

Sorry, but that's not the same prop. It's only vaguely similar, as those types of clocks usually are, but the details are all way off.

russellsuthern

Jun 13, 2018, 07:47 am #24 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018, 07:49 am by russellsuthern
Oh well... I've been meaning to get my eyes tested for a while now...
Meantimebob, you've won yourself a pound!  ;)

Talking of getting my eyes tested, I must have looked at reference pictures of the Master untold times.
It was only yesterday that I noticed that his eyes have a pattern of tiny red veins around them!!

Always something else to do...

Best regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Ok, so we've established that the Grandfather clock prop used in "You rang M'Lord?" is not the same one as used in "The Deadly Assassin."
We have also established I'm due for an eye test!

Talking of eyes....
I noticed that The Master has some red veins around his eyes, so I added some to my replica...
mc3.jpg

"Look into my eyes.... don't look around the eyes....look into the eyes...."
mc4.jpg

Finished at last!
Hopefully doing the photo shoot over the weekend...

Best regards,

Russell

karsthotep

....predictable as ever Doctor!!!!!
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

elkad

I was thinking about your Master Mask & thought, how would I make the face.
I recently bought myself a plastic skull with a removable jaw for the "Image Of The Fendal" Eustace Skull, (I haven't done anything with it yet). You can make the skull look like the Master's face, cover it in clay, then use the clay negative to make a positive in paper mache , put in some veins, ping ball eyes, makeup & add a clear seal paint to give it the glossy look.

ciderman

Thought this might be of interest to you Russell...

ciderman

Sorry, I found the original Prop Store Masters cloak design. Seems it was a reworked cloak from a Flying Dutchman production. Too big to put the picture on. Apologies.