Apr 18, 2024, 12:07 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

"THE HIVE" TARDIS console build

Started by KIT-KAT, Jun 02, 2018, 04:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KIT-KAT

Jun 02, 2018, 04:10 pm Last Edit: Jun 02, 2018, 04:15 pm by kitkat123
Right! I thought it would be fun to start now!

Now the console for my mini fan series is going to be Hartnell based. the switches will be different, as well as the color and time rotor.
I can start making the control panels now and I was wondering, what is the best wood and thickness of wood to buy for this?
Thanks.
Kit

And here's something for the console room
IMG_20180602_171158.jpg
No, not the mind probe!

The14thDr

The type of wood and thickness you use depends really on 2 things: how big you plan on making your console and how big your budget is.

My TARDIS is pretty small (just shorter than 3 feet at the widest point) so I used 3mm thick hardboard for the panels. On a larger console, the hardboard would just bend/warp/sag in the centre. I think a lot of people tend to use MDF or plywood for their builds, but I've no idea on the thickness.

Anyway, I hope at least some of this helps (and I'm sure others will be able to give you more advice in terms of what they used on their TARDIS consoles.) :)
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

karsthotep

I used 1/2 inch plywood for the lions share of my build
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

KIT-KAT

Aug 10, 2018, 01:56 pm #3 Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 03:27 pm by kitkat123
I managed to get some more controls hopefully get more tomorrow ( scanning as many antique shops as possible  ;D)
IMG_20180810_145747__save.jpg
No, not the mind probe!

russellsuthern

Yayy!
Another console!
Can't wait to see this come together.
I love scouring antique/junk shops, too. You never know what you might find... ;D

Russell

deafeningsilence

Garage sales and "going out of business" tech stores are my favorites. You can get some really good deals there.

galacticprobe

Aug 11, 2018, 06:54 am #6 Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 06:54 am by galacticprobe
Another great place to find some good deals on meters, gauges, and things like that, are military surplus stores (at least in the US). Some of them carry the pieces that were salvaged from old equipment that's been scrapped. Prices can vary widely from store to store for the same type of item (like a volt meter), but sometimes you can find a really great deal, especially on knobs.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

KIT-KAT

thanks for the suggestions guys!  :) Yes there are plenty of garage sales and car boot sales around, I'm planning to check a few out.
No, not the mind probe!

KIT-KAT

No, not the mind probe!

KIT-KAT

No, not the mind probe!

Cardinal Hordriss

How do you plan to build the main structure?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

KIT-KAT

Hartnell style, although I'm not at that point yet. I'll make each panel separately then build the Rest
No, not the mind probe!

Cardinal Hordriss

Apologies, I was referring to your planned construction pattern and method.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

KIT-KAT

Ah, sorry I'm not really sure. Haven't got much of one yet!
No, not the mind probe!

simon83

One of the best ways to make them is outta foam which you could then fibreglass.