News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Time Lord Costume

Started by russellsuthern, May 22, 2018, 08:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

May 22, 2018, 08:36 am Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:45 am by russellsuthern
Hi all.

I think the Time Lord ceremonial costume is one of the best bits of design in the entire original series.

Timelord collar 1.jpg

No wonder they brought them back for the new series.
I think the collars make the Time Lords look like ornamental chess pieces.

The costume was designed by the great James Acheson & Joan Ellacott. The main gowns were made by the costume dept, while the collars & headpieces were produced by Allister Bowtell.
The different colours donate different Time Lord chapters.
I believe the original collars were fibreglass & were very heavy & uncomfortable to wear.

I'm currently preparing loads of different stuff for my Cosplay take on "The Deadly Assassin."
Originally, I wasn't going to attempt a Time Lord collar, as it just looked too difficult & time consuming.
But the idea kept niggling in the back of my head...after all, how can you Cosplay the "Deadly Assassin" without showing Time Lord ceremonial robes?

Then I saw Christel Dee's tutorial on how to make the collar in Dr Who Monthly which led me to her tutorial on Youtube.
This got me fired up to give it a go myself.

So many thanks go to Christel for inspiring me to start this build!

First I cut out two parts of the collar... The bit that goes round the neck & the bit that stands up behind the head. It's worth doing a paper template first, to get the shape right, then you can trace it on to your card. Christel used nice white card, but I used double thickness corrugated card for strength....

Timelord collar 4.jpg  Timelord collar 3.jpg

Then I glued those bits together...

Timelord collar 5.jpg

Next I made the front "flaps" of the collar...

Timelord collar 6.jpg

I added these to the front of the collar, then put a curved strip of card on each shoulder to make them curve upwards...

Timelord collar 7.jpg

Then I gave the whole thing a good covering of papier mache...

Timelord collar 8.jpg

Couldn't resist a test fitting...

Timelord collar 9.jpg  Timelord collar 10.jpg

Timelord collar 11.jpg  Timelord collar 12.jpg

First undercoat. I always love it when the paint starts to go on!

Timelord collar 13.jpg  Timelord collar 14.jpg

Next I'll be painting it orange & adding the decorative rope.
Then I'll start work on the cap & robes.

I'm so glad I decided to tackle this build in the end, as I'm having great fun doing it!

Thanks for reading!

Regards,

Russell

karsthotep

This is something I have always wanted to tackle as well.  Do you have a template for the parts???
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Angelus Lupus

May 22, 2018, 11:25 am #2 Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:26 am by Angelus Lupus
Christel's tutorial:

Not sure on the template... might have to google that (I've seen various levels of accuracy), or re-watch The Deadly Assassin  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

karsthotep

Yes I have seen that tutorial, however I am looking for the template to start from so I can get an accurate size, I would rather not eyeball it. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

russellsuthern

May 22, 2018, 12:28 pm #4 Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:33 pm by russellsuthern
Hi guys.
Angelus:  Thanks for posting that tutorial.

Karsthotep:  I don't think Christel's collar, lovely though it is, is screen accurate.
I think she made it a bit smaller to fit her, plus a smaller collar is more practical for conventions etc.

However, mine is not accurate either. I just winged it & drew mine by eye.

I'm happy with it, at least you can tell what it is!

But if your looking for an accurate template, then I don't think either of ours will help...

Perhaps someone else out there could point you in the right direction..?

Good luck!

Regards,

Russell

Ps:  Angelus: You are right about the different levels of accuracy you see on the internet, but they are all lovely in their own way.
The thing that always amazes me is, whenever I come up with a cosplay idea, I think I'm the 1st one who has come up with it, then I Google it & find out it has been done LOADS of times before!

For example, a quick Google search shows that literally dozens of people have done Time Lord Cosplay before me!

Oh well, always room for one more!!!!

karsthotep

Well thanks anyway. I actually liked the size of yours, the reason I was wanting a template is freehand drawing is not something I do often or well so working form any template would have been of benefit.  I wasn't concerned so much with the accuracy of it more of the size and general look. 

The14thDr

Now this is seriously cool! I think you absolutely nailed the shape, can’t wait to see more.

(karstothep, I did a Google search for “time lord collar template” and there were a few good results. Hope this helps. :))
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

karsthotep

yes I saw a few as well when I did the same, I haven't had a chance to look carefully as I am at work....doing emmm....work things...not TARDIS things!!!!!  ;D ;)

ciderman

It looks superb! Totally agree that James Acheson was probably one of the best designers we ever had in the show. The seal of Rassilon also is a stroke of genius. Instantly recognisable for the show. Loving this project. What chapter are you going for?

russellsuthern

May 22, 2018, 09:57 pm #9 Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:34 pm by russellsuthern
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Ciderman:  Prydonian orange of course!!!

Karsthotep:  Thanks for the vote of confidence!
I did do some paper templates to get the shape right, but threw them away when I'd finished with them.
The only thing I can suggest is that I took my pictures of my cardboard cutouts from directly above, so you could use those as templates if you blew them up large enough....

I took some measurements to give you an idea of how big you'd need to make them...

20180522_190022.jpg

Hope that helps....

More pics soon!!

Regards,

Russ

handofomega

Russ that looks incredible.   You have inspired me to make one.   Once we get unpacked I will be looking into making one of these myself!!!

russellsuthern

Thanks HandofOmega, I think you should definitely go for it!!

14th: 
Thanks, for saying I got the shape right.... I don't think I did too bad, considering I drew it freehand!

Timelord collar 2.jpg  Timelord collar 14.jpg

More soon....

Cheers,

Russ

galacticprobe

May 23, 2018, 06:45 am #12 Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:02 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: ciderman on May 22, 2018, 09:19 pm
It looks superb!

I'll agree to that!

Quote from: ciderman on May 22, 2018, 09:19 pm
What chapter are you going for?

Quote from: russellsuthern on May 22, 2018, 09:57 pm
Prydonian orange of course!!!

In case anyone is interested, I found this on the net so many years ago I can't remember where, but some of it was mentioned as having come from the dialogue in "The Deadly Assassin":

Time Lord Chapters according to hierarchy (mainly named from the Time Academy Houses):
Prydon Chapter (Prydonians): colours, scarlet and orange. ("Deadly Assassin" dialogue)
Arcal Chapter (Arcalians): colour, green. ("Deadly Assassin" dialogue)
Patrex Chapter (Patrexes): colour heliotrope ("Deadly Assassin" dialogue) NOTE: This is a light purple, but darker than lavender.
-------Below are Chapter Houses mentioned from those other sources, and are not official canon-----------
Cerulean Chapter (Ceruleans): colour, subdued light blue.
Drome Chapter (Dromeians): colour, silver-grey.
Scendeles Chapter (Scendeleans): colour, unknown (possibly because their bureaucracy could not establish a colour), but rumours say their colour was quite subdued (possibly a very pale grey).

That's all six of the Time Lord Chapter Houses. (And of course, the Lord President of the High Council's headdress is white, and if I remember correctly had some gold trim other than just the Seal of Rassilon. Of course I'm open to corrections on all of these, though after reading through a transcript of "Deadly Assassin" the dialogue follows:

Runcible: "Already the Time Lords are gathering, donning seldom worn robes with their colourful collar insignia. The scarlet and orange of the Prydonians, the green of the Arcalians, the heliotrope of the Patrexes, and so on."

Since the colors end with "and so on", my guess is whoever put together the list of colors did so from novelizations or some other sources, which means all those are not official canon and up for debate, as only the three mentioned in the dialogue are canon.)

And I also had come across these images about a year ago, according to the date stamp on them, and it appears that I saved them from TB of all places! (I used to have a link to the thread they were in. I'll see if I can find it and post it for reference.) I think when I saw them they were said to have been taken of an actual screen-used costume meant to represent the Prydonian House:

PrydonianCollar-01.jpg
Front view

PrydonianCollar-02.jpg
Front, left oblique view

PrydonianCollar-03.jpg
Rear view

Hopefully these will be helpful (as will be most of my babbling).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ciderman

I seem to remember the lord Presidents robes being a pale grey in assassin, and Borusas being similar. Lord_President_2.jpg
Arc of Infinity.doctorwho-arcofinfinity7.jpg
They seem to be all the same colour in new who these days.

Angelus Lupus

I'd venture to suggest that, rather than white or pale grey, what we're seeing with the lightest collars is the natural colour of the fibreglass they're made out of.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.