Mar 28, 2024, 08:50 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Making an adhesive sign to customize a CO model TARDIS

Started by lorisarvendu, May 15, 2018, 09:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lorisarvendu

May 15, 2018, 09:21 am Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:58 am by lorisarvendu
Not specifically a "Top" sign question, but "all" signs.  

I've had an idea but I'm not sure of how to go about it.

I want to print out some colour signs on laser transparency. I then want to "overlay" them onto the existing signs on a Character Options model.  However I don't want to use PVA glue for two reasons:

1. It's messy
2. Because part of the sign will be white (i.e. transparent) the old sign will show through

I figured if I could get some kind of thin, opaque double-sided sheet that I could cut to size and then use it to stick the new signs (phone and top) over the old.

Anybody know if such a thing exists?

Stop Press:  Yes it does and I've just bought a sheet. It's called "Lazertran Inkjet Waterslide Decal paper".  OK inkjet not lazer, but it's perfect.

http://lazertran.com/

galacticprobe

May 16, 2018, 05:47 am #1 Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:49 am by galacticprobe
Wow! This is a great find! It's perfect for the custom decals I want for one of my starships I'm restoring. (I hand-painted the markings on her last time. They were okay by my standards, but not perfect... though they were good enough for her to take that blue ribbon first prize away from my "Little Sexy".)

This will make things look more professional. One interesting question, though... "inkjet waterslide decals"? I know from printing things on paper that inkjet ink runs if the slightest drop water hits it. So how does this waterslide thing work without the ink running? (Anyone know, or have used something like this before and can explain how it works? The Lazertran site doesn't have any info on that, at least not any I could find.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 16, 2018, 05:47 am
One interesting question, though... "inkjet waterslide decals"? I know from printing things on paper that inkjet ink runs if the slightest drop water hits it. So how does this waterslide thing work without the ink running? (Anyone know, or have used something like this before and can explain how it works? The Lazertran site doesn't have any info on that, at least not any I could find.)

Dino.

I had a look at this & read that you have to leave it for 30mins to set then when putting into water the ink doesn't run.

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

May 16, 2018, 06:13 am #3 Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
Thanks, Chris! I'm glad you were able to find that. I guess I just wasn't looking in the right place for it. This really is a great thing as custom printed decals, from what I've heard from other modellers, is rather expensive.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

I download the free work book that explained it all, sorry I forgot to mention that part Dino so don't worry too much.

Chris.
Chris.

Rox

I've used waterslide inkjet paper to make a custom headstock logo for a guitar - you have to 'seal' the inkjet printing with a light spray of lacquer or it will run, no matter how long you leave it to dry; the ink is still water soluble.
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

lorisarvendu

Well I started this thread, but although I've bought a sheet (from our very own University Art shop where I work) I'm still interested in the idea of printing onto laser acetate (as I'm wary of mixing water and ink).

So I've also found  "DOUBLE SIDED A4 ADHESIVE TAPE SHEETS 210MM X 297MM - 5 SHEETS " on Amazon and purchased a pack.  5 sheets for £3.43.  I'll see how I get on with this, and if I'm successful in what I want to do I'll post the result.

galacticprobe

May 17, 2018, 06:49 am #7 Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:49 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: lorisarvendu on May 16, 2018, 12:18 pm
...I'm still interested in the idea of printing onto laser acetate (as I'm wary of mixing water and ink).

If I read the web site correctly, they also offer their Lazertran decal sheets for laser printers, and for the 10-pack it's the same price as the 10-pack for the inkjet decal sheets. The one thing I don't understand in the description for the laser printer decal sheets is this: "Printable waterslide transfer decal paper for use with laser printers with fuser oil only."

What exactly does that mean by "with laser printers with fuser oil only"? Will these not work on a laser printer that uses colored toner cartridges? ???

Quote from: lorisarvendu on May 16, 2018, 12:18 pm
So I've also found "DOUBLE SIDED A4 ADHESIVE TAPE SHEETS 210MM X 297MM - 5 SHEETS " on Amazon and purchased a pack. 5 sheets for £3.43. I'll see how I get on with this, and if I'm successful in what I want to do I'll post the result.

I'm looking forward to hearing (or reading) your results, even if they're not successful (though I hope they will be). Even the failures that we've seen on here have led to new methods of doing something that didn't work initially, but through suggestions and some trial and error have achieved great results.

Dino.