News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Keys: Companions & Friends

Started by Terrasolo, Jul 08, 2017, 01:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jul 10, 2017, 04:48 am #15 Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 04:49 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Jul 09, 2017, 07:41 am
(Unless you haven't seen the series finale of course, in which case I've just spoilt that ::)

That's been "spoilered" long ago, 14th. My wife's told be she's seen it on the Radio Times site as well as those other sites I've mentioned, and again it was confirmed with statements like "will be making an appearance" months before Series 10 even started. (So we can blame all those sites if anyone feels like they've given a "spoiler".)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

LeoCor

Would her key have been brass, or something more like a nickel-plated key?

Quote from: Terrasolo on Jul 08, 2017, 01:03 pmSUSAN FOREMAN:
"The Dalek Invasion of Earth"

We first get a good look at the rather long snake chain necklace that Susan keeps her TARDIS key on in "The Daleks" episode 6 "The Ordeal", when the Doctor uses it to short-circuit a conductor on the Dalek's Static Electricity Power Grid. In this scene, the Doctor promised to make Susan another key as this one would be destroyed by its use.

The Daleks:

01-Susan-Foreman-02-Yale-002-The-Daleks-Ep-06-The-Ordeal-01.png
01-Susan-Foreman-02-Yale-002-The-Daleks-Ep-06-The-Ordeal-02.png
01-Susan-Foreman-02-Yale-002-The-Daleks-Ep-06-The-Ordeal-03.png
01-Susan-Foreman-02-Yale-002-The-Daleks-Ep-06-The-Ordeal-04.png

It apparently took some time for the Doctor to make Susan's replacement key, potentially four stories since the she didn't have one to hand over or use to help the TARDIS team escape in "Marco Polo", however by "The Sensorites" she finally had her new TARDIS key and it appears to be identical to her first one, from what little we can make out in the scene; same key, still on the same snake chain and all.

It isn't until "The Dalek Invasion of Earth" that we finally get a close up shot of the key itself, as well as snake chain. This shot gave us the basic body shape of the key and that, along with telesnaps from "Marco Polo" showing the finer details of the top of the key, as well as a behind the scenes color photo from the same story, helped us find a good match with a Yale Y1 key with two stops. We believe all the classic keys were Yale keys, based on their use of Yale locks the Police Box prop.

The Dalek Invasion of Earth:

01-Susan-Foreman-02-Yale-010-The-Dalek-Invasion-of-Earth.png

Susan also holds the distinction of being the only classic companion to have a TARDIS key of her own. Any other companion seen with a key in the Classic Series was just using a key the Doctor lent them for that episode. It wasn't until the New Series that the Doctor started handing them out like Jelly Babies.

LeoCor

I also just noticed this about Clara's "Time of the Doctor" key. When she tries to use it as the TARDIS is de-materializing, the "teeth" of the key are on the wrong side of the stop. CGI error, I guess? 😂