Apr 25, 2024, 02:54 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Preferred paint color?

Started by doctor007, Apr 04, 2008, 07:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor007

Apr 04, 2008, 07:34 pm Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:45 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi, I'm Scott (Doctor007) and I have started my Tardis build.  I am wondering if anyone can recommend (while I know there are MANY versions of the Tardis and Many colors used over the years) a paint color and brand that is either popular or maybe even screen accurate that you think I might enjoy.   I am building using a measurements from the brachaki box and the instructions from Glen Walker if that gives an idea as to the model in question.  Thank you all in advance because I sure couldn't do ANY of this without the help and support that exists on this site !

Scott

doctor007

Sep 16, 2009, 09:33 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 02:21 pm by scarfwearer
Thank you Sir,
      Well.. In that case,    The code is as follows: 102-10.5   107-4   113-10   115-11
the base color was a satin (however, if you buy a quart or gallon they will sell it in flat) and the base's code was "base 4 94101" ..   Also, they told of a product for antiquing the finish with that fancy black smoky tinge that the blue has in with it, on the TV prop,  called "asphaltum".  It is a very thin paint that you apply with a brush or sponge and just dab with a paper towl or Kleenex off.    It works itself into the wood cracks and gives that black aged darkening as tho soot had darkened the paint.  Please show your sales person a closeup pic of the paint on the Tardis TV prop if you want that effect and see ... they may just have a different and handier way to either apply or dab it ....   
I hope that someone gets some benefit and fun out of this info. 
                                                                                    Scott Wright

atomicgraph

Apr 04, 2008, 10:13 pm #2 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:40 pm by scarfwearer
paint color is a personal choice... i think the current tardis has a few different colors used on it so... my suggestion is pick on that you like. i hope that helps (but it probably doesn't  :P)

doctor007

Apr 05, 2008, 12:24 am #3 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:40 pm by scarfwearer
Sorry. Was just trying to get a little discussion going about people's favorite colors and brands  that they had used or were planning on using.  I thought it might help me pick a color.  Currently I am looking at a color called Cobalt Stone.  I have a color picked (initially) but before I go to start painting would like input from other's because there may be a nicer blue that I can use that I just haven't heard about.

willytron

Apr 05, 2008, 12:43 am #4 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:41 pm by scarfwearer
I'd love to help, but I haven't made it that far yet.  I have gone to lowes and narrowed it down to two colors, but I'm afraid I don't know the names of them.  One Is similar to the new series TARDIS, and the other is a darker blue.  I may even use both - first the darker blue and then the lighter one on top.  I may even paint the whole thing black first, and then do some blue on top of that.  I still haven't decided.

doctor007

Apr 05, 2008, 12:48 am #5 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:41 pm by scarfwearer
Wow.. that does sound cool.     :D

willytron

Apr 05, 2008, 12:51 am #6 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:41 pm by scarfwearer
On the new series tardis, they used some sort of electric spinning wire brush thing all over the box, and a friend of mine says he has something just like that.  I don't know if i'll take the time to do my box up like that or not - but if I did and then painted it black and then blue, I think that it would have a nice effect.  I don't know if that is very clearly explained, but perhaps someone else here who knows more about the new series prop can elaborate.

atomicgraph

Apr 05, 2008, 05:12 pm #7 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:41 pm by scarfwearer
i used a valspar brand paint, the color i picked was "empire fleet blue" (i got it at lowes) flat enamel. i went with a flat paint so it wouldn't have any glare for photos. i'm also going over it with a texture paint to give it a concrete look. the texture paint i found was at the craft store i'll post a pic of it a little later the good thing about the texture paint is that is blue its a little lighter than my original color but thats ok becuse i'm going back over my box with the original then i'll get a damp cloth and smear on a little black and brown watered down paint to "dirty it up a bit

doctor007

Apr 05, 2008, 07:03 pm #8 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:41 pm by scarfwearer
Thank you ... My color was from Lowes as well.   I will check into seeing what color you are talking about and see how it fairs with the one I am .    Willy, if you come across the name of the color you were looking at, I would love to hear about that too.   

Atomicgraph, Thank you for your details with what you have planned... That is fascinating.   So, like Willy, you are using multiple colors AND a texturing to make it look more like concrete than wood.  sweet!   Thank you again.   I appreciate you trying to help me feel comfy with doing my own thing...   It is just nice in some instances to ask around and see what all is going on around me  :)

The gentleman that is helping me construct mine has actually been to England and posed with a real callbox, as well as seen the inside layout of one... He wants to make mine functional and realistic on the inside... Bench affixed to one wall, fold down desk with chains on the back wall, barstool style seat in case I need to make a police report... some shelving for my Dr. Who books... and if I ever get the desire to make a fan film... the Tardis won't look like a Tardis to anyone that doesn't have a key...

Sorvan

Apr 05, 2008, 08:06 pm #9 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:42 pm by scarfwearer
Here's a link to a previous thread about the colour:

what colour is it ?

Colin

atomicgraph

Apr 05, 2008, 08:49 pm #10 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:42 pm by scarfwearer
here is a pic of the texture paint i'm useing

texturepaint.jpg

here is that color compared to the "empire fleet blue"

postgap.jpg

in the last picture  both colors have been bleached out by the flash. both colors are pretty dark. also the flat enamel i used won't last out doors.

Sorvan

Apr 05, 2008, 09:56 pm #11 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:42 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: atomicgraph board=manual thread=1207337651 post=1207428573also the flat enamel i used won't last out doors.

I just went to the plasti-kote website and it says that the Stone Touch (Fleck Stone in North America) spray is for interior/exterior use!  :o  I'm a little surprised about this since when I went looking around for texturing materials, I couldn't find anything that said it could be used outside.

Colin

atomicgraph

Apr 05, 2008, 10:56 pm #12 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:42 pm by scarfwearer
wow i didn't know it was suitable for out door use i'm shocked as well. at least it will be alright if i materialize in Seattle ;)

doctor007

Apr 06, 2008, 04:27 am #13 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:43 pm by scarfwearer
After reading at the website, it looks like to make it outdoor rated you need to use the Plasti Kote "Clear Kote" spray to lock it from moisture. so, say do a layer of your color you like, a layer of the Plasti Kote Stone Touch, another layer of the paint you like... weather the paint the way your were talking then spray on a layer or 2 of Plasti Kote's "Clear Kote" to seal it from the elements.

It looks like you are using the color Stone Blue for your texture paint (not that it probably matters as you are to paint over it).  Am I correct? 

atomicgraph

Apr 06, 2008, 01:03 pm #14 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 05:43 pm by scarfwearer
correct. the texture has specks of white in it . i've painted some sections of my box with it like one wall and the roof. i painted over the wall with my original color but the roof is just the textured paint. also this may not be the cheepest rout to go for texturing that can of stone touch was around $7.00 and i've already used 3 cans so far, i'll probably need  4 more cans to finish up the box.