How many coats of primer and colour...?

Started by cyberleader1991, May 11, 2005, 02:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cyberleader1991

May 11, 2005, 02:08 am Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:22 am by Scarfwearer
... is everyone using on their full-size boxes?

willytron

Jul 23, 2008, 09:42 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 02:14 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: moonpieone board=build thread=101 post=15231 time=1216846048I am just now finishing my paint job.  I started with a good coat of white primer with abit of grey tint mixed in...then, two or so coats of Olympic's "Celestial Blue" (which drys nice and flat!)  It's a very rich color and I think very close to what most people would remember the TARDIS looking like.
I'm still not certain if I need a clear coat of sealer or not...It's gonna live outside in the hot, humid central Florida weather...so, I guess it needs to be hurricane proof! :)

Photos, please!

Scarfwearer

May 11, 2005, 05:31 am #2 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:20 am by scarfwearer
I think I used one coat of white primer and two top coats in "Carbon Blue". It took forever, as I was painting the interior the same colour, as I duplicated the exterior detailing inside. Interestingly no-one has *ever* remarked on that when seeing my box.
I was certainly overlapping painting the top coat on some walls while priming other walls/sides. I used a semi-gloss latex paint as I couldn't get flat paint in the colour I wanted. I tried rollering it on, but gave up and used a brush.
I think it took the best part of two weeks of evenings to get it all done, but this was several years ago now.

If it's taking a long time to dry it may be too cold.

door%20inside.JPG

Crispin

cyberleader1991

May 11, 2005, 12:19 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:20 am by scarfwearer
Too cold in Atlantic Canada? Nah!  ;)

timelorduk

Jul 10, 2005, 10:56 pm #4 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:20 am by scarfwearer
Is emulsion good enough for an indoor build? My mate reckons that the MDF will just soak up emulsion and if any water did get on it, the paintwork would just run. He thought I should use an oil based paint as oppose to a water based paint. What do you all think? Its almost ready for painting now. We have used carprimer filler as an undercoat.

timelorduk

Jul 10, 2005, 10:57 pm #5 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:20 am by scarfwearer
Oh and I dont want a hideous gloss effect, which is why I thought a matt emulsion would be ok.

purpleblancmange

Jul 11, 2005, 09:42 am #6 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:21 am by scarfwearer
Emulsion is absolutely fine for an indoor build, but you will need to apply a coat or two of MDF sealer primer first.  Once this is done, a couple of coats of undercoat, then your emulsion - as many coats as you can afford - at least two..

Because the sealer and undercoat aren't water based - this'll prevent any water getting into it - remember though to paint all sides of the box - by that I mean the underside of the base, walls and roof etc.

If you're worried about water getting on the emulsion, first of all I wouldn't be if it is to stay in doors.  This type of paint can withstand a fair amount of water as I proved to myself last month with the texture test I did... the filth was about 95% water with a bit of black paint and I just sloshed it all over the blue emulsion. 

The new TARDIS prop is painted entirely in emulsion paint as well and Ed Thomas tells me that he had it coated in an acrylic glaze too, just to give it a sheen.  I did try using a matt varnish - but it definitely did not do what it said on the tin, it went gloss!  Grrrr.  Anyway, that's what paint tests are for.

Oh yeah - the MDF sealer should have gone on first, so you're going to have to put a sealer on, then more undercoat - car primer won't make a jot of difference really in the long run.

Hope that's of some use to you.

retfordlad

Jul 30, 2005, 02:03 pm #7 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:21 am by scarfwearer
Now, to avoid annoying sanding etc for all those out there who want to go matt after gloss - theres a GREAT little product out here thats a de-glosser - BRUSH APPLIED - works on varnish when you want to apply paint - on anything painty-wise really ( dont try it on dads 'roller - argh pun intended )  I'll tell you what it is when I can tidy the basement up - I keep finding it every three days and losing it again - currently my basement is like tossing a pebble into the sea - - and its in the USA - -

Steve:)

retfordlad

Aug 03, 2005, 11:54 am #8 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:21 am by scarfwearer
Bit of further info to my laste post - hope I spell this right - the stuffs called KRUD KUTTER GLOSS - OFF - one step no mess. Seen it used when paint applied straight on a high closs varnish table. Just apply and let dry then paint. Worked great ! NO lifting of paint, paint loss when dry, colour bleed-thru or anything. Recommended !!

Steve:)

the15thdoctor

Aug 03, 2005, 11:02 pm #9 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:21 am by scarfwearer
Spoke to a decorator friend and he said to mix a top coat of oxford blue (dulux) with a primer of the same colour this will give a low sheen finish and be 100% waterproof as both are resin based. MUST be applied over a decent undercoat. 5:1 with white spirit if your spraying.

unclelew

Jul 23, 2008, 08:47 pm #10 Last Edit: Apr 23, 2010, 11:21 am by scarfwearer
I am just now finishing my paint job.  I started with a good coat of white primer with abit of grey tint mixed in...then, two or so coats of Olympic's "Celestial Blue" (which drys nice and flat!)  It's a very rich color and I think very close to what most people would remember the TARDIS looking like.
I'm still not certain if I need a clear coat of sealer or not...It's gonna live outside in the hot, humid central Florida weather...so, I guess it needs to be hurricane proof! :)