Apr 19, 2024, 11:52 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

JW Tardis Plans Discussion

Started by lespaceplie, Jan 25, 2018, 04:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Jan 25, 2018, 04:18 am Last Edit: Mar 01, 2018, 08:38 pm by Scarfwearer
I said to myself I'd leave this one alone, but it can't be helped. I suspect a lot of the dims could be nice, round numbers. Sizewise it appears to be larger than the TY-J but smaller than any recent prop. I like the depth of the lintel sign glass. As is the sentiment of many others around here, the notches bother me. Were it not for those, we'd have a really nice if somewhat oddly proportioned prop.

Here's at stab at it so far.

first stab.jpg

Scarfwearer

Jan 25, 2018, 12:10 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2018, 12:10 pm by Scarfwearer
The rail above the window might be slightly taller than the one below the window.

door-top-rail.jpg

lespaceplie

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Jan 25, 2018, 12:10 pm
The rail above the window might be slightly taller than the one below the window.

I think you may be right there. We're really stuck until more photos turn up (which I'm now dying for).

lespaceplie

I think we're getting warmer. Here's another pass at it. Also, it appears the windows are indeed fluted glass.

chibwarmer.jpg

lespaceplie

Feb 13, 2018, 09:54 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 10:18 pm by lespaceplie
Another incremental update:

chibwarmer.jpg

Scarfwearer

Feb 13, 2018, 10:06 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 10:06 pm by Scarfwearer
roof-corner.png

lespaceplie

Feb 13, 2018, 10:19 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 10:32 pm by lespaceplie
I have now addressed that (swapped pic in above entry). I never modified that from the older estimates. I think the posts might be fractionally wider as well.

The roof stack widths must be wider as well. I see that the lowest one sits back only about 2-2.5 cm deep into the side planes of the posts. That would make them 124, 112 and 100 (maybe).

Scarfwearer

Feb 13, 2018, 10:46 pm #7 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 10:48 pm by Scarfwearer
Definitely getting there. :)

I think the sign box only covers 1/3 of the post front plate, which may be more like 60mm? 75 seems wide if the sign box is 150mm tall.
I'm not really sure about that - it is at an angle, after all.

signbox-end.png

boxman550

using a size comparison sight and the filming images i made a size comparison of Jodie's and her TARDIS and capaldi and his TARDIS capaldi is 6ft and Jodie's 5ft 7 so i put thoughts heights together and made Jodie and capaldi the same size and from using the capaldi TARDIS height guide i made i compared his TARDIS to Jodie's turns out her TARDIS is tiny like the classic ones
capaldi TARDIS and jodie TARDIS.jpg

Scarfwearer

Feb 13, 2018, 11:19 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2018, 11:19 pm by Scarfwearer
It's really difficult to tell. I've been on the look-out for images with something more reliably measurable than a human to compare it with.
There are a couple of shots with step-ladders that we might be able to use to confirm a height.
step-ladder.jpg
The top of the ladder looks like it's just under the sign box, but I don't know what height that model of step ladder has when open.

Angelus Lupus

Feb 14, 2018, 12:15 am #10 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 12:39 am by Angelus Lupus
I wouldn't say this Tardis is 'tiny' it still looks (to me) like it's between classic and NST dimensions, much like the Hudolin. These pictures are great for getting proportions and (dare I say it) relative dimensions  ;)

If it helps, I actually looked up step-ladders, there's a lot of variation! This one - Yellow, right number of steps, hinged the same... might be a close match https://www.screwfix.com/p/werner-71698-swingback-ladder-fibreglass-8-tread-2-23m/4053p
Says the height is 2.23m
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Scarfwearer

Funny, I'd just being looking at the same ladder (and a few others). :)
This being the case lespaceplie's dimensions look very plausible.
I think with the classic era door height the sign box would not clear the ladder (though the ladder pic is so small I can't even be sure it does).

We may have to wait for a better comparison pic to be sure.

Davros Skaro

I think (& I could be wrong here) step ladders have a set height between steps, so you might be able to determine the height by that. It's a stab in the dark but worth a try.

Chris.
Chris.

lespaceplie

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Feb 14, 2018, 12:15 am
I wouldn't say this Tardis is 'tiny' it still looks (to me) like it's between classic and NST dimensions, much like the Hudolin. These pictures are great for getting proportions and (dare I say it) relative dimensions  ;)

If it helps, I actually looked up step-ladders, there's a lot of variation! This one - Yellow, right number of steps, hinged the same... might be a close match https://www.screwfix.com/p/werner-71698-swingback-ladder-fibreglass-8-tread-2-23m/4053p
Says the height is 2.23m

In between classic and new series props, yes, but the Hudolin was barely larger than the Brachacki. In fact, all the classic props had nearly the same size doors. In the diagram I cooked up, the new doors have a stately height of 7 feet / 210 cm, but there's no guarantee of conveniently round numbers.

BioDoctor900

Feb 14, 2018, 10:11 am #14 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2018, 10:24 am by BioDoctor900
I reckon that looking at this image (trying not to duplicate)

FB_IMG_1518541613589.jpg

The fact that Jodie is 5' 5.7", she comes to just the bottom of the window, bearing in mind the base looks to be thicker than the tennant, but slightly thinner than the Smith/Capaldi, I reckon the box is similar in height to the Tennant Box. Tennant is 6" 1' and the top of his head comes slightly shorter than the cross beam on the Windows

dw1c1.jpg

Plus the fact that the recessed panels seem to be of a similar size. I think the roof is probably similar to the squat version of the Tennant Box.

Plus I reckon these are the door handles....https://www.diy.com/departments/it-kitchens-brushed-nickel-effect-d-shaped-cabinet-handle-pack-of-2/97666_BQ.prd

When I originally saw the box, I recognized them immediately. Just in case the link goes dead...

IMG_20180214_102209.jpg

That might help in extrapolating the measurements of the panels and cross beams

BioDoctor900