Apr 24, 2024, 02:38 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Lym's TARDIS (and Met Box) Renders

Started by lym, Feb 09, 2018, 07:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

May 05, 2018, 03:18 am #90 Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:20 am by galacticprobe
Wow! With the exception of the white bits (and St. John logo) on the Brachacki, this is sort of what things should have looked like in "Logopolis" when the TARDIS landed beside a "real" Police Box! (Too bad they had to "remove" that Barnet Bypass Box before the filming of those scenes.)

This is beautiful, Lym! Well done!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lym

May 09, 2018, 02:02 pm #91 Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:07 pm by lymerence
Right then: plans going forward! Here's what I have in mind to work on in the future. These won't be a case of doing them at once: they'll evolve through the process as the plans and designs become more accurate.

Main boxes:

• Mark 1 - work on getting accurate, solid measurements from pictures of this type and use them to fine-tune the model (as well as make plans). Once these are near-perfect, make variants for subsequent design changes through the years

• Mark 2 - As above.

• Mark 3 - As above.

• Mark 4 - As above.

• Mark 5 - work on getting accurate, solid measurements from pictures of this type and make plans. Completely redo the model from scratch, then make all known main design variants (Heathrow, Hendon)

Other models/plans:

• Earl's Court Box

• Cross Ness Box

• Blackwall Tunnel Box

• Mark 0 "Fixed Point" Box

• Prototype Chequer's Corner Box

• Prototype Coulsdon Box

• Glasgow Box

• Edinburgh Box

• Police Post (main variations)

lym

Just made this little thing, inspired by the end of The Day of the Doctor. No details or anything, but it's nice to see them lined up like this and it's something I wish we could see in real life.

museum.jpg

(Again, sorry for the roughness of the Mark 5, I'm working on a new version of it soon)

lym

So here it is: the new, improved Mark 5 model! Still got a couple of things to do (namely modelling the hinges/handles and some fine-tuning of the textures), but I couldn't resist showing it off now.

mk5v2.jpg
So many thanks to Dalekoracle for the new pictures of the Hendon box, I couldn't have done it without them!

lym

Now this new model has been made, I can go ahead and do the elusive Heathrow version of it:
t69b.jpg

And a bonus "what if?" scenario. I don't think the show would've had quite as much of an impact this way.
unearthlymk5.jpg

Dalekoracle

Loving the Mk5 renders.
Just a couple of comments... On the Heathrow model, the door should have less texture as it was a wooden (teak) door and not made of concrete. And the base needs to have a texture applied to it as its smooth in the render.
Glad that my photos of the refurbished Hendon box has helped  :)
Mark
:)

lym

So I think everyone can agree that the Mark 5's design was definitely a step down from its predecessors (although I do personally love it). To remedy this, I've created my own design that merges the simplicity and basic outline of the Mark 5 with the elegance of the Marks before it. Presenting the Mark 6:

mk6.jpg

lym

Tried my hand once again at another Glasgow box.

glas2v3.jpg

TheWitch

What do you use for the texturing?

lym

In Cycles, I just use a noise texture plugged into a bump map to get the surface effect, and mix a diffuse shader and a glossy shader to get it shiny. I also make sure to use fresnel where possible.

lym

Aaaaand here's a lineup of the first four Marks! Not too confident on the shapes/sizes of the roof stacks and door panels/windows, but I'll just keep working on improving them every day.

chart.jpg

lym

A new photo of the Becontree prototype has appeared! I'd been waiting excitedly for a close-up photo to turn up somewhere, so I used this opportunity to work on a model of it:

proto.jpg

Angelus Lupus

I wondered if you'd be updating your model when I saw the new photo! Nice  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

ironageman

May 31, 2018, 03:08 pm #103 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2018, 08:22 am by ironageman
It's good to see it so vividly brought into existence so quickly.

[edit:]
I've just put a sketch of the top lamp under 'roundhead' - the foot of the lamp housing appears to have been wilfully elaborate and had a number of rectangular ventilation holes... perhaps someone with an interest in virtual/3D graphics could puzzle out whether there were six or eight of these...

Also, what do you make of the small lock-sized circle on the front where a first aid or telephone cabinet should have been? Of course, this could be a flaw in the photograph (which has clearly been retouched a little) or an identification number perhaps?
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

lym

Apologies for not updating much lately - there really hasn't been much for me to show, having modelled most versions of the Met box.