News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Marco Polo

Started by tony farrell, Oct 26, 2017, 04:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Oct 26, 2017, 04:56 pm Last Edit: Aug 02, 2019, 05:17 am by warmcanofcoke
Marco Polo 1964​ D Season 1 Story 4

I refer my honourable friend to this topic: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8085.msg102870;topicseen#msg102870  ;)

I believe that "Tomb" and "the Greatest Show in the Galaxy" were the only two occasions when the Tardis interior was erected at Ealing (though I'm not sure "Greatest Show" counts as they used a tent in the car park and mistakenly junked the set after reording)!

Ealing was also used for things like the Emperor Dalek's 'throne room' in "The Evil of the Daleks".

T

Rassilons Rod

Tomb makes sense actually. I'd forgotten how echoey it was in there.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

timewomble

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 26, 2017, 04:56 pm
I refer my honourable friend to this topic: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8085.msg102870;topicseen#msg102870  ;)

I believe that "Tomb" and "the Greatest Show in the Galaxy" were the only two occasions when the Tardis interior was erected at Ealing (though I'm not sure "Greatest Show" counts as they used a tent in the car park and mistakenly junked the set after reording)!

That's interesting. I'd read that Andrew Cartmel ordered it junked to prevent further scenes set inside (which he considered boring). It did seem pretty unlikely to me but I'd never seen any other explanation. A mistake does seem more plausible.

classic who

Forgive a newbie, but a slight correction, Greatest Show In The Galaxy was done at Elstree with the TARDIS interior erected in a tent in the car park.

There's a lovely picture of Sylv McCoy and the Allo Allo cast together during a fire alarm.

TARDIS scenes in Tomb and Enemy part 6, were done at Ealing but also the sequence of water on the console in Marco Polo and a scene in The Space Museum, when Vicki drops a glass which reforms in her hand.

When the TARDIS interior is seen in The Abominable Snowmen, it was the first time it had been used in the TV studio since Moonbase part four, 7 months earlier.

tony farrell

Oct 30, 2017, 01:43 am #4 Last Edit: Oct 30, 2017, 01:46 am by Tony Farrell
Quote from: classic who on Oct 29, 2017, 09:02 pm
Forgive a newbie, but a slight correction, Greatest Show In The Galaxy was done at Elstree with the TARDIS interior erected in a tent in the car park.

Thank you for the correction!

TARDIS scenes in Tomb and Enemy part 6, were done at Ealing but also the sequence of water on the console in Marco Polo and a scene in The Space Museum, when Vicki drops a glass which reforms in her hand.

Again I stand to be corrected, but, I thought the collection of condensation by Hartnell's Doctor in Marco Polo was set in the Tardis' Living Quarters (bedrooms) as opposed to the Control Room (as per this set plan for episode three where the doors from the bedroom to the main Control Room are placed directly against the studio wall):

Marco_EP3_Partial.jpg

T

Rassilons Rod

Wait. Is this a crop from some Marco Polo floor plans?
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Yes - it appeared in an issue of DWM some time ago!

(I should have stated that the doors from the Tardis bedrooms were placed at the limit of the studio's usable floor space rather than against the wall - this is because of the walk-way which had to be kept clear in the event of a fire. The same thing applies to Nu Who where - as anyone who has been on a set tour will confirm - there is a walk-way which is approximately 8 feet wide around the edge of the studios & which is illuminated by a string of LEDs set about two feet up from the floor.)

T

Rassilons Rod

I had no idea! It's been many years since I bought DWM
Public Enema Number One.

classic who

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 30, 2017, 01:43 am

Thank you for the correction!

Again I stand to be corrected, but, I thought the collection of condensation by Hartnell's Doctor in Marco Polo was set in the Tardis' Living Quarters (bedrooms) as opposed to the Control Room (as per this set plan for episode three where the doors from the bedroom to the main Control Room are placed directly against the studio wall):

Marco_EP3_Partial.jpg

T

Yes, as you describe, in studio with the walls, but there was a close-up shot or shots of the console with water dripping on it, done at Ealing to avoid the use of water in an electronic studio, it would just have involved the console.

As I think is well known, the console was also used at Ealing for the shot of Jamie and Zoe clinging to it in The Mind Robber, there is a suggestion of accidental damage to some of the controls as a result.

The original console was trundled into use at Ealing for a final time in Inferno for the scene of the Doctor becoming separated from it in flight, and ( along with the entire Hut set)  for shots of the Doctor and console dematerializing and materializing.

Rassilons Rod

I've been frantically googling for a full version of that set plan and only found one partial image, (other than the snippet you posted, Tony).

Any ideas?
Public Enema Number One.

multiversesentai

Here are the reference pictures of the console from the Telesnaps of this story.
vlcsnap-00274.jpgvlcsnap-00436.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 30, 2017, 01:43 am

Marco_EP3_Partial.jpg

T

Largest crop of this I have found.  I wish we had more of this! :)

DMlAYeZWkAAW9vb.jpeg
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Here is a composite of all the bits we have. (No guarantee they're from the same episode, but I suspect it's likely).

Episode 01 - partial copy.jpg
Public Enema Number One.