Apr 20, 2024, 03:32 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

JPGs and PDFs for the St. John Ambulance logos

Started by galacticprobe, May 01, 2015, 08:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jan 30, 2016, 12:05 am #15 Last Edit: Jan 30, 2016, 12:05 am by galacticprobe
Okay, this one is waaaaaaay overdue for an update! I've finally gotten the 4-hole-mount, pre-World War II St. John Badge replica graphics done! (I can hear the cheers from HB and some of the other Met Box fans already; I've only been working on this version since last May! I just hope my replica lives up to their expectations... especially HB's since he's done most of the research on this version. :))

This is the original Met Box Badge - the one that came first. The links to the graphics are in the Table which you can access through the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=85.0 Reference sub-board under our http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=29.0 Board. I've got some notes in with the links explaining why I created the graphics like I did. The one thing I didn't detail is that every letter, arrowhead, animal, circle - well, basically everything about the badge's graphics - was drawn out, sometimes going pixel by pixel using one of the better images (and looking at some of the other images) that hb88banzai sent me for references. Nothing about this version is "cookie cutter". No font matched, so each letter - even the simple ones: the I, M, E, T - all had some idiosyncrasies that prevented any font in my library from matching up, and rather than say "Oh, that's good enough", I drew out each letter, with dings here, notches there, flared ends, etc.

Basically, since no two of these badges ever came out of the ceramic firing process the same, and all had some sort of imperfections, I tried to incorporate some of those imperfections to make this 3-D version look as realistic as possible. Anyway, with so many reference images to look through, I combined many aspects of each to make this "idealistically realistic" version. I hope it meets with your approval.

I would also like to call out a huge THANK YOU! once again to hb88banzai for the reference images that allowed me to create these graphics, and to deck5 for being so kind as to host the images for us.

So have a look. Both the JPG and PDF were sized to the proper 6-inch diameter (though the JPG image shows up really big on the screen), and both are at 300dpi, so they should print out nicely. The only thing I couldn't replicate was the 3-D aspect. And any comments on the graphics can be posted in this thread here so the Table thread doesn't grow too large.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Jun 20, 2016, 08:12 pm #16 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2016, 08:13 pm by galacticprobe
Hey, everyone; this is just a quick note to let you know that I've done some shuffling within the St. John Ambulance Logo Table. No information has changed, but I've shifted things around to put them in a more correct chronological order. So the Table now starts out with the Original Met Box Badge as it appeared in the 1930s, and progresses to the current rendition of the New Series (Series 8 on).

I'm still working on those Earl's Court versions - still no idea when I'll get them finished, though. Once I am done with them, I'll get more info from hb88banzai for dating those badges and insert them into the Table accordingly. (They are a different animal than the St. John Ambulance Badges that we're used to seeing!)

Anyway, that's the latest Update on the Table. I hope you all enjoy it, and continue making good use of it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Sep 08, 2018, 07:21 pm #17 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2018, 07:25 pm by galacticprobe
Okay, here's what's probably going to be the last update to this topic for a long time. I've made some adjustments to the Table in the link in the first post of this topic (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6014.0, if you don't want to change pages).

I've added some dates to the 'Doctor Who' TV series versions of the St. John Ambulance logos, mostly on the New Series versions. So now it not only says the first and last episode in which a version of the logo was seen, but those episodes also include the years (and in some cases the month as well, when a specific series started and ended in the same year).

I've also added the episode title and year of the final appearance of "The Capaldi Logo".

So, until more details come to light, or they bring back the St. John logo in futures series, this is the last update. (Yes; for the Police Box followers out there, I'm still working on the Earl's Court version of the logos... albeit very much slower than I would like to be working on getting them finished. Life: it has a nasty way of getting in the way.)

Rest assured that when I finally do get the Earl's Court versions done, I'll update the Table and let everyone know via this thread.

Dino.