Apr 19, 2024, 03:05 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell and Troughton Interior Setups

Started by Sofia Fox, Oct 23, 2017, 04:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofia Fox

Hello, I need to know the floor plan (clean) or wall config for Seasons 2-6 except The Web planet, Power of the Daleks Ep 1 and The Mind Robber. I know it's a lot since they change every story/episode. But I would love to know the floor plan/wall config as I'm making every single one of them.

Cheers, TigerMan.
Sofia, the infrequent builder and forumer.

warmcanofcoke

This is a very tall order.

You know not what you ask.

This is the work of a lifetime.

If TARDIS Builders were to illustrate the interior of every 1960's episode (First off, for posterity we would have to do all of em and not just seasons 2-6)- that would be a serious amount of screancaps just for the research portion alone. Some of the dvds have blueprints / diagrams / etc. But most of them would have to be drawn from scratch.

QuoteEpisode checklist:
Season One - 1963-64
The Pilot Episode
An Unearthly Child
The Daleks
The Edge of Destruction
Marco Polo
The Keys of Marinus
The Aztecs
The Sensorites
The Reign of Terror

Season Two - 1964-65
Planet of Giants
The Dalek Invasion of Earth
The Rescue
The Romans
The Web Planet
The Crusade
The Space Museum
The Chase
The Time Meddler

Season Three - 1965-66
Galaxy 4
Mission to the Unknown
The Myth Makers
The Daleks' Master Plan
The Massacre
The Ark
The Celestial Toymaker
The Gunfighters
The Savages
The War Machines

Season Four - 1966-67
The Smugglers
The Tenth Planet
The Power of the Daleks
The Highlanders
The Underwater Menace
The Moonbase
The Macra Terror
The Faceless Ones
The Evil of the Daleks

Season Five - 1967-68
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Abominable Snowmen
The Ice Warriors
The Enemy of the World
The Web of Fear
Fury from the Deep
The Wheel In Space

Season Six - 1968-69
The Dominators
The Mind Robber
The Invasion
The Krotons
The Seeds of Death
The Space Pirates
The War Games

Some of these stories do not have Tardis interior scenes.

My advice to start off with is to look at some telesnap archives:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/photonovels/macra/
missing episodes.jpg

Alternatively you may just want to make a catalogue of images we already have: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=51.0

Hey I'm sure we will all try to help as best we can.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Oct 24, 2017, 02:48 am #2 Last Edit: Oct 30, 2017, 02:46 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 24, 2017, 12:20 am
This is a very tall order.

You know not what you ask.

This is certainly an understatement, especially when you consider that even during the same story the TARDIS interior had occasionally changed a little as the set was struck at the end of the recording day, and then reassembled the next recording day (provided they needed to continue recording an uncompleted scene from the night before).

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 24, 2017, 12:20 am
Some of these stories do not have Tardis interior scenes.

Very true. While I'm not sure of them all, here are the stories I've been able to breeze through transcripts of, all showing no TARDIS interiors in their narratives. (Those marked with * are missing all or some episodes, use possible recycled telesnaps in the reconstructions - if those missing episodes weren't animated - or have only brief scenes of a partial interior (where noted). Also, anyone with more info on ones I've missed, or been mistaken with, please correct me.)

Season One - 1963-64
Marco Polo *

Season Two - 1964-65
The Romans (been ages since I've seen this one, but from what I can remember there was no interior scenes)

Season Three - 1965-66
Galaxy 4 *
Mission to the Unknown * (While missing, this 1-episode story did not feature the TARDIS, or any regular cast!)
The Myth Makers *
The Gunfighters * (the cliffhanger of Ep4 gives only a brief glimpse of the interior)
The Savages * (lead-in to Ep1 - continuation of "Gunfighters" Ep4 cliffhanger)
The War Machines

Season Four - 1966-67
The Power of the Daleks * (All episodes missing: reconstructed via animation; console room stills and publicity photos from Ep1 of this story that we've accumulated seem to provide enough views for drawing out an accurate console room floor plan. Those photos and stills can be found in this thread, http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8001.0.)
The Highlanders *
The Macra Terror *
The Faceless Ones *
The Evil of the Daleks *

Season Five - 1967-68
The Ice Warriors *
The Enemy of the World * (interior is partially seen at end of Ep6)
The Web of Fear * (Ep1 - continuation of scene from "Enemy" Ep6)
Fury from the Deep * (partial interior, Ep6 final brief scene)

Season Six - 1968-69
The Dominators
The Invasion * (Ep1 is missing; the episode and all interior TARDIS scenes are from animated reconstruction and not reliable.)
The Krotons
The Space Pirates

Well, at least that cuts down the list a little. There are still loads of stories that show more of the Console Room interior, and not just partials of it. And on that, I agree with Nate and recommending going through the images we have in our http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=51.0 reference section.

Also as Nate says, we'll try to help as best we can as we find some good images hiding in our computers.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

tony farrell

Oct 24, 2017, 05:58 pm #4 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2017, 06:05 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 24, 2017, 02:48 am
here are the stories I've been able to breeze through transcripts of, all showing no TARDIS interiors in their narratives. (Those marked with * are missing all or some episodes, use possible recycled telesnaps in the reconstructions - if those missing episodes weren't animated - or have only brief scenes of a partial interior (where noted). Also, anyone with more info on ones I've missed, or been mistaken with, please correct me.)

Season One - 1963-64
Marco Polo *

The Tardis' Living Quarters (bedrooms) are used in this story when The Doctor collects condensation to drink.

Season Two - 1964-65
The Romans (been ages since I've seen this one, but from what I can remember there was no interior scenes)

Season Three - 1965-66
Galaxy 4 *
Mission to the Unknown * (While missing, this 1-episode story did not feature the TARDIS, or any regular cast!)
The Myth Makers *
The Gunfighters * (the cliffhanger of Ep4 gives only a brief glimpse of the interior)
The Savages * (lead-in to Ep1 - continuation of "Gunfighters" Ep4 cliffhanger)
The War Machines

Season Four - 1966-67
The Power of the Daleks *

The entirety of Patrick Troughton's post-regenerative 'confusion' is set inside the Tardis Control Room!

The Highlanders *
The Macra Terror *
The Faceless Ones *
The Evil of the Daleks *

Season Five - 1967-68
The Ice Warriors *
The Enemy of the World * (interior is partially seen at end of Ep6)
The Web of Fear * (Ep1 - continuation of scene from "Enemy" Ep6) - yes but fuller set used including blank 'flats'
Fury from the Deep * (partial interior, Ep6 final brief scene)

Season Six - 1968-69
The Dominators
The Invasion * (interior scenes animated)
The Krotons
The Space Pirates

I've amended your list slightly Dino.  :)

If TigerMan doesn't have the appropriate DVDs, I'd suggest using http://www.dailymotion.com to have a look at the episodes relevant to him.

If you want screen-accurate plans for the individual elements which go to make up the full Tardis interior, these can be found at: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4825.0

TigerMan can then pick and choose the appropriate element(s) to build the interior to match the individual story concerned.

T

Sofia Fox

I already knew this would be a hassle...When I collect all the available 1st and 2nd Doctor DVDs (Region 1 here and whoa those are expensive) and watch recons, then I draw up some wall config/floor plans for all. For the ones that don't have an interior, I'd would know if there were some but didn't know which.
Cheers, TigerMan

galacticprobe

Oct 25, 2017, 04:39 am #6 Last Edit: Oct 25, 2017, 04:48 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 24, 2017, 05:58 pm
I've amended your list slightly Dino.  :)

I see that, Tony. Thanks. :) I would just like to point out that I believed TigerMan was only looking for the console room when he mentioned "interior" (and I could have been wrong in that), but it's why I didn't include the living quarters from 'Marco Polo'. Also, I did mention that stories marked with * were either missing, or reconstructed via telesnaps (some which could have been recycled from other stories), or animated. Again this is why I have "Power Of The Daleks" listed, but with a *; I wasn't sure how accurate or reliable the reconstruction animation was, and we don't have enough stills to assemble an accurate set layout. (I've gone back to edit my post to clarify that for "Power".)

Also thanks for pointing out those "blank flats" used in Ep1 of "Web Of Fear". I hadn't noticed those. (Too caught up in the action that first time round. Guess this means I'll have to watch it again and look closer. Darn! ;))

If TigerMan doesn't have the appropriate DVDs, I'd suggest using http://www.dailymotion.com to have a look at the episodes relevant to him.

Excellent suggestion! I would caution TigerMan, though (and everyone else that hasn't used it yet), that DailyMotion can occasionally be very jumpy, where the video stops but the audio keeps running, and then the video starts up again where it would normally be with the audio. This can be very trying when you're looking to get a good "PAUSE" for a screen grab during a scene; it can be tricky sometimes. So when using DailyMotion, just keep at it. (It may not be jumpy for everyone, but it certainly gets jumpy in the US.)

If you want screen-accurate plans for the individual elements which go to make up the full Tardis interior, these can be found at: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4825.0

TigerMan can then pick and choose the appropriate element(s) to build the interior to match the individual story concerned.

Excellent suggestion, and I think Nate may have already pointed TigerMan to that Article. (Ah... just took a look at Nate's post; he pointed to the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=51.0 Article. So now TigerMan has two great sources to use!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Oct 25, 2017, 05:55 am #7 Last Edit: Oct 25, 2017, 05:57 am by rassilonsrod
Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 25, 2017, 04:39 amAgain this is why I have "Power Of The Daleks" listed, but with a *; I wasn't sure how accurate or reliable the reconstruction animation was, and we don't have enough stills to assemble an accurate set layout. (I've gone back to edit my post to clarify that for "Power".)

Actually, "I do hate to be contrary...." but I believe we really do....

Check out my thread on the subject.....

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8001.msg101768#msg101768
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Oct 26, 2017, 04:42 am #8 Last Edit: Oct 26, 2017, 04:49 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Oct 25, 2017, 05:55 am
Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 25, 2017, 04:39 amAgain this is why I have "Power Of The Daleks" listed, but with a *; I wasn't sure how accurate or reliable the reconstruction animation was, and we don't have enough stills to assemble an accurate set layout. (I've gone back to edit my post to clarify that for "Power".)

Actually, "I do hate to be contrary...." but I believe we really do....

Aaaand again, I stand corrected. I've edited my post to include the link to your thread. Also, no need to worry about being contrary, Marc; I did ask for anyone to correct me if I was wrong on something. (I was half expecting Tony to be the one... sending his Master's voice echoing in my head once again with "I'm sorry, Dino, but I have to disagree with you..." ;) ;D)

Dino.

tony farrell

With one eyebrow raised in a slightly mock-quizzical expression and in my best Roger Delgado voice: "My dear Dino, the only reason I didn't was because Marc beat me to it!"

249677_215772508462953_2989403_n.jpg

;D

T

Sofia Fox

Oct 26, 2017, 08:02 pm #10 Last Edit: Oct 26, 2017, 08:04 pm by TigerMan
Does anyone mind if I start a set plan discussion of 'The Chase' from Season 2?

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: TigerMan on Oct 26, 2017, 08:02 pm
Does anyone mind if I start a set plan discussion of 'The Chase' from Season 2?

As long as you post reference pics, go for it.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Oct 27, 2017, 03:11 am #12 Last Edit: Oct 27, 2017, 03:11 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 26, 2017, 10:45 am
With one eyebrow raised in a slightly mock-quizzical expression and in my best Roger Delgado voice: "My dear Dino, the only reason I didn't was because Marc beat me to it!"
;D

<face palm> I left that door open again, didn't I? ;)

Dino.

classic who

Oct 29, 2017, 09:24 pm #13 Last Edit: Oct 29, 2017, 11:22 pm by classic who
Marco Polo: Rider From Shang-Tu, featured a brief scene on a very minimal control room set ( due to lack of space in studio).

Also, you can't rely on the animation for the Invasion part 1, as it is incorrect.

It depicts the control room as normally seen, with outer double doors on left-hand side, but in the actual episode, it was one of those rare occasions when the set was erected from the other side, with the outer double doors on the right-hand/mid-picture side.

There's a great photo of The Doctor, Jamie and Zoe stood at the console and looking at the scanner, smiling, ( from the scene, when they see cows in a field).

galacticprobe

Oct 30, 2017, 02:22 am #14 Last Edit: Oct 30, 2017, 02:54 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: classic who on Oct 29, 2017, 09:24 pm
Also, you can't rely on the animation for the Invasion part 1, as it is incorrect.

Such was the reason I had listed Ep1 of "The Invasion" with an *, and annotated with interior scenes animated. I've edited my post above to note this new bit of info - that the animated recon is unreliable.

Quote from: classic who on Oct 29, 2017, 09:24 pm
It depicts the control room as normally seen, with outer double doors on left-hand side, but in the actual episode, it was one of those rare occasions when the set was erected from the other side, with the outer double doors on the right-hand/mid-picture side.

There's a great photo of The Doctor, Jamie and Zoe stood at the console and looking at the scanner, smiling, ( from the scene, when they see cows in a field).

So... with all of the latest reference photos/screen grabs that have been posted lately (I can't keep track because they're posting so quickly, which is a good thing - not that I can't keep track, but that they're posting quickly), have any surviving stills from "The Invasion" Ep1 been posted? And do any even exist?

If not... Nate, you're very good at putting together a "best guess" of console room layouts. Think you could come up with one based on the above description?

Dino.