Apr 19, 2024, 03:13 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sign makers

Started by rizla, Jun 29, 2008, 11:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Nov 13, 2005, 06:46 pm #15 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:57 pm by scarfwearer
I went and talked to them about the job then sent them a set of JPEG images which would be correct in size and detail.  I also calculated the length/height of each words to suit my box and stipulated that they match those.  They then produced proof sheets to show me what they'd make.  They were terrible - had the spelling right but that's about all.  BUT, they were able to fix it on their computer right away and after about 4 versions we were ready to roll.  The most tedious part was getting them to get the PUBLIC CALL in the right place and sized so that they didn't go past the top or bottom line of the POLICE BOX text.

- glen

Mark

Nov 13, 2005, 06:59 pm #16 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:57 pm by scarfwearer
Well I found a company that make vinyl signs, mainly 'For-Sale' signs you see stuck in people's gardens. I found out that one of the ladies that work there also makes signs for her own business (I didn't really understand either ???).

Anyway, I asked if she'd do me them, and took everything I could imagine. She has photo's of the real signs as reference to colour and font, a couple of printed versions I made giving a rough idea of size and word placement and finally a sketch of the both required signs with actual measurements written on.

The sign-lady was blown away! "normally all I get is a tiny sketch on a fag packet!" was her reply ;D

I too am quite concerned in case they come back (even slightly) wrong, but she said she's going to match the fonts, size and colour (based on what I've provided) and then print off a paper test sign for my approval.

This suits me fine, if the paper ones are fine, the 'real' signs should come out fine too.

Not only that but I'm going to take the paper test signs down to Crich with me and physically test them out to make sure they're right ;)

Scarfwearer

Nov 13, 2005, 07:49 pm #17 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:57 pm by scarfwearer
I took my prototype signs with me - created from a PDF which tiles across 4-5 pieces of paper, taped together.

I told the lady I wanted as close a match as possible to the fonts and letter positioning, which they were able to do with no problem.

Mine were clear plastic, backed with dark blue film, which had cutouts for the lettering, then with white film over the back of that. Next time (my current signs are paper again!), I think I'll get them to skip the white film on the back and use my own frosted plastic for that layer.

Crispin

DoctorWho8

Nov 14, 2005, 01:03 am #18 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:57 pm by scarfwearer
If you have Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw, you can make up the letters the way you want them, outline the fonts (convert to shapes in Corel), and provide the file in EPS and PDF formats.  Most sign shops have Illustrator or Corel and can use those formats easily.  If someone wants help, I can do it for free.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

squishype

Nov 14, 2005, 10:56 pm #19 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks all for the speedy replies. 

I have found that I dowloaded some signs off of page 1 or 2 of the old Rebuilders MSN site pictures section.  I'll try using good old Microsoft Paint to try and fit them to my opening size.  I tried using Autocad to print up singage on my last box and just couldn't get the fonts right when working from scratch.

Scarfwearer

Nov 15, 2005, 12:55 am #20 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
Are those ironageman's? If so, they're t he ones I used on my recent refit.

Here's a thread about that, also from the FAQ section.
http://tardisboard.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=faq&action=display&thread=1114060527

Crispin

squishype

Feb 23, 2006, 06:02 pm #21 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
Okay, I've now gone to a couple sign shops asking for prices.  The quotes average $92 (USA) for vinyl cut letters or $132 for a "printed" sign.  They say for the "printed" method that they'll take an image file from me and make a direct copy onto the plastic sign.  Plus an hourly fee if the image file isn't up to quality for them to fix it.  So its a raised vinyl letter on a standard color backing versus a nice smooth printing.

I'm tempted to skip the vinyl cut letters on the outside (they say I'd be able to peel them off) as this sounds too cheap and may not let enough light through.  But the "printed" method hurts the overall budget.  Any recommendations/opinions?

DoctorWho8

Feb 23, 2006, 07:33 pm #22 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:58 pm by scarfwearer
Have you tried looking into have the signs screen-printed instead of vinyl?  Then you can have white-frosted stock for your signs, and the printer can do a reverse floodcoat in blue or black and leave reversed out letters.

jasonyork

Mar 28, 2006, 07:16 pm #23 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
Never mind, I was talking about  the Police Box telephone sign.

(I had a sign made in a different way. I decided to do it more like what I think it looks
like, not what is was. It always looked like an outside plaque to me, you know those ones used in the 60s
and 70s? They are hard plastic with white lettering mostly used for door name plates. They have
them in many colors, including a perfect blue. The company I used was PlaqueMaker.com. I sent them a
.PDF I downloaded from a website, and they are going to make it. If you want the .PDF file, or just want to know
more about the plaque just email me. I think it will be very durable, and look great. I have already approved the
proof. They will engrave it today, and send it out tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get it. The price was nice too.
Just $55, and that includes shipping.)

mart

Jun 26, 2007, 05:38 pm #24 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
There were a few replicas knocking about on eBay, not going to link them as i don't know if thats allowed on here, however i think they wre as cheap as £4 ...

DoctorWho8

Jun 26, 2007, 08:17 pm #25 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
eBay linking is OK.

dustyfro

May 07, 2009, 01:00 am #26 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
Since my TARDIS is staying in my living room, I'm thinking of taking an image on a thumb drive to a copy shop (if I can ever find the proper font!), having them print off three of them on a wide poster, then slicing them apart and laminating them.  It'll probably look cheap, but that's what I am at the moment!
x Hannah

DoctorWho8

May 07, 2009, 02:59 am #27 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 03:59 pm by scarfwearer
Which signs are you looking to make?  New Series?  If so I have PDFs you can use.
Bill Rudloff

dustyfro

May 09, 2009, 11:49 pm #28 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 04:00 pm by scarfwearer
That would be great!
x Hannah

DoctorWho8

May 10, 2009, 02:15 am #29 Last Edit: Apr 22, 2010, 04:00 pm by scarfwearer