News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sign Box lighting

Started by bcrosby07, Jun 23, 2007, 11:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jun 04, 2010, 04:55 am #15 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2010, 04:59 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: mordrogyn on Jun 02, 2010, 04:19 pm
Yes, I had thought about that to, but considered that you would need extra cables to run from the PSU to the cold cathode lights in order to reach to every sign box.  I don't own any extensions that will run inside a case, because I have never needed them, so if you factor in the length you need and the cost of each to achieve said length, it's cheaper to use another method.
Cold cathode lighting is ideal for smaller builds though.

If you've got any experience with wiring things then you might be able to make your own extensions. You can get spools of wire - in all of the right colors - at any decent electronics supply store; they should even have the proper connector shell and pins. The pins can be soldered to the wires, or with a good pair if pliers nicely crimped on, and then just insert the pins into the shell, and measure out exactly how much wire you want to use to keep things out of the way. It would involve a little work, but I don't think the cost of the spools of wire and connector pieces would be that high. And if you had a separate power supply to use for the cold cathode lights that wasn't inside a computer, then you wouldn't have to worry about poking a large enough hole into the computer case to get the extension wire plug through.

Just a thought.
Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mordrogyn

Indeed, well we will see when I get that far, I only really started this thread to let people know about the other lights :P
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)