News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Moonbase / Tomb Cybermen Costumes

Started by warmcanofcoke, Jul 02, 2017, 11:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Jul 02, 2017, 11:59 pm Last Edit: Jan 16, 2020, 02:52 pm by warmcanofcoke
The Chest Units were from Moonbase / Tomb / Wheel in Space:
19th-january-1967-the-cybermen-enemies-of-dr-who-the-childrens-scifi-picture-id3142924.jpg9884b7d638a4b47534e485d6afef681b--mirrors-online-scene.jpgdoctor-who-1967-bbc-tv-programme-the-story-features-the-return-of-ET6WMR.jpgdoctor-who-1967-bbc-tv-programme-the-story-features-the-return-of-ET69P0.jpgtomb-of-cybermen-e1362001251251.jpg
WheelinSpace.jpgs320x240.jpgs320x240d.jpg
Quotehttp://honorarydoctor.livejournal.com/13619.html
(screen used chest unit for Revenge of the Cybermen)

The little I know about the BBC original was that it was re-fitted from the Moonbase costumes. It's a fiberglass shell and the circuitry in the side panels are from an old TV set.

1967 1970 Radio Times Publicity Photos:
cyberman2.jpgcyberman4.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Jul 10, 2017, 11:45 pm #1 Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 11:57 pm by warmcanofcoke
http://www.thepropgallery.com/cyberman-chest-unit-tomb-of-the-cybermen
Doctor Who

Cyberman chest unit - Moonbase/Tomb of the Cybermen

An original 1960s Cyberman chest unit used in the production of the long running BBC television series Doctor Who, during the reign of Patrick Troughton as The Doctor. The Cybermen are one of The Doctor's most persistent foe and appeared, in various incarnations, ten times throughout the classic series of the show from 1963 - 1989

This chest unit was originally constructed for The Moonbase in 1967 and subsequently used in The Tomb of the Cybermen, this style of Cyberman were designed by Sandra Reid and Mary Woods and it is believed that 11 Cybermen were made for the serial with few of these known to be in existence today. This style of chest can also be seen used in Wheel in Space (1968) turned upside down and furthermore at least two were subsequently modified for use in the 1975 Tom Baker serial Revenge of the Cybermen.

The chest is constructed from mixed materials with a fibreglass shell with rear cover of hardboard with affixed interior details printed on paper these are photographic reductions of circuitry visible through windows to each side of the chest of perspex construction. The centre section is made from wire over a base of hardboard with wooden doweling to simulate the tubing connections and a metal tube running through the body to house the gun, the unit also features a strong canvas strap to attach to the actor.

The chest unit remains in incredible condition throughout with only light surface marks from screen use and a minor chip to one corner of the fibreglass. The prop measures approximately 15" high and 12" at its widest point with a depth of around 5"

This chest unit represents arguably the finest surviving example of an early Cyberman chest unit in near perfect and original condition. A rare and exciting artefact from the early days of this classic BBC television series.

atombchest1.jpgatombchest2.jpgatombchest3.jpgatombchest6.jpegatombchest7_1.jpegatombchest8.jpegatombchest9.jpegatombchestbase.jpg

warmcanofcoke

http://www.thepropgallery.com/cyberman-controller-helmet-tomb-of-the-cybermen
QuoteDoctor Who

Cyberman controller helmet - The Tomb of the Cybermen

An original Cyberman helmet used on screen in the long running science fiction television series Doctor Who.

This Cyberman Controller helmet was used in the 1967 serial The Tomb of the Cybermen starring Patrick Troughton as The Doctor and represents one of two helmets made the story which introduces the Cyberman Controller portrayed by Michael Kilgarriff.

Constructed from fibreglass and wood the helmet features the distinctive domed head design which is wired to light to the interior with bulbs above the ridge, a feature which remains operational when connected to a battery. The helmet also features vent holes drilled to the cheek areas and eye mesh which is attached from the interior of the helmet with two lugs to the bottom and hooks to the side of the head to affix the back plate which is sadly missing. To the front of the helmet two small wires remain where this head was attached to a dummy body for the scene where Toberman (Roy Stewart) hurls the Cyber Controller into the control panel.

Presented on a wooden plinth the helmet stands approximately 20" high and remains in good production used condition with some wear and minor chipping to the still original paint work.

Original material from the early days of this cult science fiction show is incredibly rare with only a handful of significant pieces remaining today and this represents a desirable blue chip artefact from this classic Patrick Troughton serial.

acont1.jpgacont2.jpgacont3.jpgacont4.jpgacont5.jpgacont6.jpg

warmcanofcoke

http://www.thepropgallery.com/cyberman-helmet-tomb-of-the-cybermen
QuoteDoctor Who

Cyberman helmet - Moonbase/Tomb of the Cybermen

An original 1960s Cyberman helmet used in the production of the long running BBC television series Doctor Who, during the reign of Patrick Troughton as The Doctor. The Cybermen are one of The Doctor's most persistent foe and appeared, in various incarnations, ten times throughout the classic series of the show from 1963 - 1989

This original helmet was originally constructed for The Moonbase in 1967 and subsequently used in The Tomb of the Cybermen, this style of Cyberman was designed by Sandra Reid and Mary Woods and constructed by Bill King of Trading Post, this freelance company were largely involved in boat building but also manufactured fibreglass items for television and film. It is believed that 11 Cybermen were made for the serial with few of these known to be in existence today, at least two were modified for a later Cyberman adventure - The Wheel in Space.

The head is constructed of fibreglass with thick foil around the eyes and mouth which are backed from the inside with mesh, the ear pieces are clear flexible tubing with solid perspex pieces at the top and bottom to form the curved shape and the interior of the helmet features a black elastic loop which was used to hold the torch in place. The original hooks and clips used to originally attach the now absent backplate are all present and complete.

This helmet represents arguably the finest surviving example of this Cyberman variant in original condition and is without doubt one of the most significant Doctor Who discovery's of recent times. A rare and exciting artefact from the early days of this classic BBC television series soon to celebrate its 50th anniversary.

tomb_cyberman_030.jpgtomb_cyberman_031.jpgtomb_cyberman_032.jpgcyberman5.jpgcyberman6_1.jpgtomb_cyberman_033.jpg

galacticprobe

Jul 11, 2017, 04:19 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 11, 2017, 04:24 am by galacticprobe
Wow, Nate! You're really on a Cyber Hunt! The images are great in their own right, but the history and detail that accompanies them is also priceless, especially the bit about the circuit boards being photo-blow-ups. (No wonder they looked like they were painted shades of silver and grey; B&W film!) Thanks for posting all of this magnificent reference material for us!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

elkad

Any idea how they make the mouth slit open when they talk?

Wild guess, a spring loaded jaw. When you open your mouth, your chin pushes down a spring loaded plate that covers over the mouth slit.

The actual talking comes from off screen with someone using one of those electronic voice box vibrators for people who have lost there voice.

warmcanofcoke

I believe you are correct. ;)

davidnagel

Quote from: elkad on Jul 11, 2017, 02:46 pm
Any idea how they make the mouth slit open when they talk?

Wild guess, a spring loaded jaw. When you open your mouth, your chin pushes down a spring loaded plate that covers over the mouth slit.

The actual talking comes from off screen with someone using one of those electronic voice box vibrators for people who have lost there voice.

I seem to recall Michael Kilgarriff saying that the mouth plate was attached to their own mouths, they'd need to learn the script but also hear for the audible cues of the voice artists and open their own jaw when dialogue was needed.
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Jul 12, 2017, 06:00 am #8 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017, 06:03 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: davidnagel on Jul 11, 2017, 11:58 pm
I seem to recall Michael Kilgarriff saying that the mouth plate was attached to their own mouths, they'd need to learn the script but also hear for the audible cues of the voice artists and open their own jaw when dialogue was needed.

I remember something similar, David. It was during one of those PBS pledge drives in the late 1980s and they were interviewing loads of current and former 'Who' actors and crew. I can't remember if the interview I saw was with Michael Kilgarriff (if he was the Cybercontroller, then it was him), but he said basically what you've said here. I remember that because he also said he used that bit of having to learn the lines so he could open and close his mouth at the correct times to get higher pay. Originally he was to be paid as a non-speaking role, but he said he pushed the issue, to the point of not opening his mouth when he needed to, so he could stress the point that he was learning the script lines and by using his mouth to work the Cybercontroller's mouth at the appropriate times, he was in essence "speaking", and therefor in a speaking role. Well, it worked and for "Tomb" he was paid the higher salary for a speaking role.

You know, I really miss those special interviews PBS used to air (even though I hated the repeated begging for money, which they really did need to keep their stations running; and yes, the wife and I used to pledge to help them with what little we could spare). Now all we get on BBC America is a 15-second spot during advert breaks with small blurbs that just leave you wanting to see more - like those on PBS (which, sadly, many PBS stations don't do anymore because hardly any run 'Doctor Who' these days, and they only ran the Classics).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

classic who

Jan 12, 2020, 11:49 pm #9 Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 11:50 pm by classic who
That's interesting, those two colour BBC pictures added in the top post.

Do they actually say 1967, as they are actually from a Radio Times shoot in 1970, the Cyberman has an Invasion chest unit held on with string.

Also photographed in that shoot were a yeti, Alien Ambassador, Ice Warrior, Silurian, Dinosaur, and Jon Pertwee of course.

warmcanofcoke

classic who

The result was a nice collage of images for a Radio Times pin up page.

davidnagel

Interesting, there are 3 different chest units seen in the images in this thread. Like they need a thread all to themselves!
Regards
David

warmcanofcoke

Well we could.... But I think at present the one thread is sufficient.  :P

I had recently revisited the classic BBC Doctor Who photo galleries (as yet not taken down, please don't take it down just yet   :-\ )

I saw the colour images (labeled as 1967) in the galleries, and checked if we had a copy here.

I bet I originally didn't copy them to here because the chest units were from Invasion, but on reflection saving the images for posterity seamed like a good idea.