Apr 23, 2024, 10:20 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Sign Box lighting

Started by bcrosby07, Jun 23, 2007, 11:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bcrosby07

Jun 23, 2007, 11:49 pm Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 08:57 pm by Scarfwearer
I am currently in the planning phase of my wonderful TARDIS.

I have decided to size it down to fit inside of a house with a 7'3" ceiling.
Thinking on this I decided to put some functionality into it and make it into a DVD Storage Closet.

My question concerns the Sign Boxes (the ones that say "Police Public Call Box").

What kind of light source should I use to light these?  Most likely this will also be used to light the interior so that I can find my actual DVDs.

Two Ideas:
(1) Regular Incandescent Bulbs: I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the way that the current series TARDIS' boxes are lit is with everyday household bulbs.  This would be able to give it a more genuine look (maybe).
(2) Flourescent Tubes: I could purchase flourescent bulb housings that would span the entire length of the sign box.  The pros: More Light could be cast into the interior of the box, thus easier to find DVDs, and Flourescent Bulbs "burn" cooler than regular bulbs, and I assume that would be better with a wooden box.

To anyone who has had good or bad experience with this, plus reply.  And anyone who has an opinion or thought, please let me know.

Thank You.  ;D

nesshane

Jun 30, 2007, 10:24 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:13 am by scarfwearer
Hi

I'm facing a similar question.
I have thought of 2-3 standard bulbs, however  a 2 foot fluro would be simpler.
I'll make my decision based on the type of light, either cold stark fluro or a ES or BC fitting which you can get coloured globes maybe yellow to give it the look the series TARDIS sometimes has.
Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Cheers - Shane

thecontractor5

Aug 24, 2007, 01:17 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:14 am by scarfwearer
I Personally went down the road of the 2 ft Flo Tubes and i simply bought 4 of em and 3 linking cables, but unlike your build, i had to box my Tubes in, but for ease, tubes every time.

yourworstnightmare

Aug 28, 2007, 10:51 am #3 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:14 am by scarfwearer
would a string of orangey yellowy white fairy lights work?

yourworstnightmare

Sep 20, 2007, 03:44 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 08:56 pm by Scarfwearer
hello there all you raggamuffins :P ;D

as you may know i am building a model tardis and wanted to know as many methods for making and lighting the police box signs as possible so...fire away!!!!

YWN

atomicgraph

Sep 21, 2007, 12:33 am #5 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:22 am by scarfwearer
well when i was little i'd make my "ray guns" using  christmas tree lights hooked to a battery. not sure how big your model is though.... just a shot in the dark

dustyfro

Jul 07, 2009, 11:37 pm #6 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:22 am by scarfwearer
Ropelights look promising.
x Hannah

Darksyde

Jul 09, 2009, 11:03 pm #7 Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010, 09:22 am by scarfwearer
High intensity LED's put out quite a bit of light.

Cold cathode lights for PC's cases could work quite well also.

mordrogyn

Not sure what other people have done with regards to this.
However while aimlessly wandering Walmart yesterday while the missus was shopping I discovered some decent sized portable (though plug in) fluorescent lights, and energy efficient ones at that, only 17 watts.  The price... about $8 each.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

metrosonus

I think you could also use 12 inch cold cathode tubing @ 2.99$ US but you would also need a 12V DC power supply to run them. I think most people use old computer power supplies (cheap or free!) since they also use that to run sounds and stuff too.

mordrogyn

Yes, I had thought about that to, but considered that you would need extra cables to run from the PSU to the cold cathode lights in order to reach to every sign box.  I don't own any extensions that will run inside a case, because I have never needed them, so if you factor in the length you need and the cost of each to achieve said length, it's cheaper to use another method.
Cold cathode lighting is ideal for smaller builds though.

atomicgraph

i use a single light source in the center, similar to the original police boxes it hangs down just low enough that it lights up all four sign boxes
tardis light.jpg

mordrogyn

Well yes...

But I quite like the idea of being able to have the sign boxes lit and the windows and interior not should I wish.

atomicgraph

just a thought thats all

mordrogyn

Oh I'm not knocking it, I know of a lot of people who have done it, and knowing me I will end up going that way also :)