Apr 19, 2024, 04:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Metebelis 3 Crystal

Started by The14thDr, May 23, 2017, 02:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

May 23, 2017, 02:33 pm Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:51 pm by The14thDr
I was looking through the prop tree and noticed we didn't have a reference topic for this particular prop. The shame of it! In an attempt to rectify this heinous sin (;)), I found some screencaps on Google in the hopes that they'll be useful.
BIUQOUSCMAEXut8.jpg
jpwqq9.jpg
Metebelis-Crystal.png
MetebelisIII_crystal.jpg

And this one here is my personal favourite, a nice close-up shot from Planet of the Spiders:
p01b3x7v.jpg

Size-wise, judging by Jon Pertwee's fingers in that last shot, I'm guessing the straight edges are roughly 3" (~7.6cm) long. And, with a little rotation and extrapolation, we get this:
metebelis crystal blueprints.jpg
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

The14thDr

I put together this net for the Metebelis crystal in Microsoft Publisher. Just print it out at full-scale, stick it to some card and paint blue for a very quick-and-simple Metebelis crystal replica (or you could even use the net to create a mould and cast one out of resin, the possibilities are endless! :P)
metebelis crystal template.png
(I'm not sure whether the forum will resize the image when I post it, but to be on the safe side check that it measures 17x17cm before you print)

Hope someone finds this useful!

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

karsthotep

ooo nice on that, you got the ends perfect,  I have one version that is too small, and I like that the Mooncrest's light up but I think the ends are inaccurate which makes me hard to pull the trigger on that purchase.    That would be a good solution as you stated.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Davros Skaro

May 23, 2017, 11:44 pm #3 Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:55 am by Davros Skaro
I used a modified version of this, when I made mine, so that the ends were of one piece & joined to the middle section, it made assembly easier.

Metebelis 3.JPG

Would you like some more grabs? I have a few if you would like them. All the best in making yours.

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

That would be great! Thanks! (And I'm guessing by your post that means you have a replica of your own? Do you have any photos of that; I've checked your profile and I can't see a build diary/gallery) EDIT: never mind, just seen your gallery. :P

Davros Skaro

May 24, 2017, 05:58 am #5 Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 06:03 am by Davros Skaro
Here are umpteen pics for you.  :)
These are from "Green Death"

NDVD_005.jpg
NDVD_031.jpg
NDVD_032.jpg
NDVD_075.jpg
Here you can see where they did what I did (where I got the idea) the join in the end, to light it up.
NDVD_076.jpg
NDVD_077.jpg
NDVD_078.jpg
NDVD_079.jpg
NDVD_102.jpg

The other story with it in is "Planet of The Spiders" which I'll get more from later if you wish.

Enjoy.
Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Those are fantastic!! Thanks for sharing Davros Skaro. Any other screengrabs you have would be brilliant (we can never have too many photos ;))

Davros Skaro

May 25, 2017, 01:12 am #7 Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:03 am by Davros Skaro
OK, As requested, MORE pics of the "Metebelis 3 Crystal" from "Planet of The Spiders".

NDVD_005.jpg
NDVD_006.jpg
NDVD_008.jpg
NDVD_010.jpg
NDVD_012.jpg
NDVD_015.jpg
NDVD_016.jpg
NDVD_017.jpg
NDVD_018.jpg
NDVD_019.jpg
NDVD_020.jpg
This one is when the Spider & Lupton found the crystal & were using their power to take it from the office & I caught it as it was vanishing.
NDVD_021.jpg
NDVD_058.jpg
The size can be approximated by the glass ash tray in the back ground.
NDVD_059.jpg
NDVD_076.jpg
You can see here that they used a different prop that lights up, notice the grey body, you think they would have painted it so it wouldn't stand out.
NDVD_105.jpg
NDVD_106.jpg
NDVD_114.jpg
NDVD_114.1.jpg
NDVD_115.jpg
NDVD_116.jpg
NDVD_117.jpg
NDVD_118.jpg
NDVD_119.jpg
NDVD_120.jpg
***WARNING*** If you DO NOT like spiders, DO NOT open this!
Spoiler

NDVD_111.jpg
NDVD_112.jpg
NDVD_113.jpg
NDVD_121.jpg
[close]

Chris.
Chris.

The14thDr

Brilliant screengrabs! Thanks for posting them! Looking at the half-painted one I have sitting on my shelf, I'd say around 3" long for the straight sides looks about right (my replica is 3.75" from tip to tip)

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

galacticprobe

May 25, 2017, 06:56 am #9 Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:56 am by galacticprobe
Chris, the arachnophobe in me thanks you wholeheartedly for that "Spoiler"! :P

Looking at these grabs, it appears they had several versions of the prop:

First, there is the well-known blue one that looks like blue perspex (or clear that's painted with transparent paint, which they did have back then, and earlier).

Then there is that odd clear one sitting on the Doctor's "gadget table" with Sarah staring at it. (Not sure if this is just odd light play or VFX because it's blue in other grab before it, but in that one grab, it looks plain clear.)

Then there is the one that lights up on the end... but only the end. When you look at the crystal in those grabs where it's lighted, the main body of the crystal looks almost like it was painted grey - like they weren't expecting that part of the crystal to be seen once the end lit up and the VFX were added in.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I the only one?

And a big Thank you! to Chris and 14th for posting these for us. Those are some really great grabs, and templates!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

May 25, 2017, 07:01 am #10 Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 05:50 am by Davros Skaro
Quote from: galacticprobe on May 25, 2017, 06:56 am
Chris, the arachnophobe in me thanks you wholeheartedly for that "Spoiler"! :P

Then there is that odd clear one sitting on the Doctor's "gadget table" with Sarah staring at it. (Not sure if this is just odd light play or VFX because it's blue in other grab before it, but in that one grab, it looks plain clear.)

Dino.

Your welcome for the spoiler, I remembered you saying you hated them, as well as others.

The clear one is when the Spider & Lupton found the crystal & were using their power to take it from the office & I caught it as it was vanishing. Sorry I forgot to mention it on the post. Have rectified.

Chris.
Chris.

galacticprobe

May 25, 2017, 07:37 pm #11 Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:37 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Davros Skaro on May 25, 2017, 07:01 am
Your welcome for the spoiler, I remembered you saying you hated them.

A friend sent me this (with a load of other "funnies"), but it gives you some idea of how bad I am with these:

Death.jpg

If I was the only one able to pull that lever? Yep... we're all gonna die!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Cardinal Hordriss

I would just have to shout FIRE as I left the building.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

galacticprobe

May 27, 2017, 05:33 am #13 Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 05:34 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on May 26, 2017, 09:44 pm
I would just have to shout FIRE...

...as I left the building in this fashion:
Fire.jpg

(You think I'm joking. I'm not... blurred, "blacking out" vision, cold sweats, dizziness, nausea. I've got it that bad.)

Dino.
P. S. More about the crystal now, please? :)