Apr 16, 2024, 04:44 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 NST Lamp alternatives

Started by dustyfro, Apr 29, 2009, 11:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kalarcana

May 12, 2009, 11:24 pm #15 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 09:06 pm by scarfwearer
In the following thread, : http://tardisboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=build&action=display&thread=824 I was going to start building a NST.  I was able to find the lamp and started modifying it to make it look correct.  I have since decided to go with an OST and I have kept the lamp.  I see these frequently in Lowes in the seasonal department.  They were selling for about $20.  I hope this helps.

Rick

dustyfro

May 14, 2009, 05:02 am #16 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 09:06 pm by scarfwearer
Perfect!  Actually, does it really have that pointed top on it?  I've found one picture of the TARDIS from the top down, but I'm not even sure if it was a prop or someone else's build, and it's got a rounded top like that one foxmeister posted.  Or else I can't see it because it's at such a high angle.

I've only been looking in hardware stores and I forget that places like Fred Meyer and Target sell garden lights too.

Also, I hope those garden lamps haven't been discontinued!
x Hannah

Scarfwearer

May 14, 2009, 11:11 am #17 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 09:06 pm by scarfwearer
I believe this pic is of the real prop. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
lamp1.jpg

Crispin

kiwidoc

May 14, 2009, 11:59 am #18 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 09:06 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: scarfwearer board=manual thread=1133 post=20632 time=1242299462I believe this pic is of the real prop. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
lamp1.jpg

Crispin

sure is - one of the first pics of any detail - snapped during filming for the '05 series.

dustyfro

May 18, 2009, 05:40 am #19 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 09:07 pm by scarfwearer
I went to Freddy's, Home Depot, and Lowe's, and none of them had it.  I can order off the Lowe's website, but yeesh, $20 plus shipping just for the lamp.  That empty spaghetti sauce jar in my cupboard is looking pretty attractive.  How do you think something like that would hold up to the heat of a fluorescent light bulb?  I could put that metal tape that stained-glass artists use on the outside, painted blue, and keep looking for a birdhouse top.
x Hannah

Scarfwearer

May 18, 2009, 06:42 pm #20 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 09:07 pm by scarfwearer
I heard that they'd been discontinued in the UK (made by Gardman, I think). Having said that, I think things like this are also seasonal and may come and go, so if someone was told "oh, I'm afraid we can't get any more of those" they may have interpreted that as "discontinued" even though the person in the shop meant "out of season".

It looks like there are several different makes: I've also seen one in brass, like the bird feeder. The Gardman ones look like copper.
So keep your eyes open. And you can always change something interim out later if you find what you're looking for.

Crispin

Rox

May 19, 2009, 09:27 am #21 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 09:08 pm by Scarfwearer
The one I bought was the Gardman Parisian, and was very easy to modify.  This particular version of the lamp I bought, the centre section was only braized in, the top and the main part were seperate, and not one whole piece, so I was actually very easy to take apart. Literally all I had to do was use some pliers to remove the small braze welds and it just came off.

T11.jpg

It's the one on the right.

T16.jpg

Painted....

t30.jpg

And completed in situ.  :)
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

dustyfro

May 21, 2009, 01:30 am #22 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2010, 09:08 pm by scarfwearer
Oh, my TARDIS definitely will be upgraded!
x Hannah

galacticprobe

Dec 05, 2012, 04:58 am #23 Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 04:59 am by galacticprobe
Just a quick note for anyone still on the lookout for a Gardman Lantern (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) for their 2005 TARDIS build:

My wife and I were in Home Depot earlier this evening looking over the holiday decorations (and green extension cords) when this jumped out and caught my eyes:
http://www.homedepot.com/Decor-Holiday-Decorations-Indoor-Christmas-Decorations-Home-Accents-Christmas-Candles-Candleholders/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc3sv/R-203264129/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UL7Ruo59nzI
Granted, it's a "Christmas Candle Holder" with a small sprig fake pine and holly around the base, but it's a Gardman clone! Their web site says it's out of stock on line, but they are available in the store. The one I was in had a shelf full of them.

So hit your Home Depots and peruse the Christmas decor sections. (I'm sure that for the lamp, you could find a suitable place for the small wreath that comes with it, especially at a price of just $17.97 US.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"