Apr 16, 2024, 11:20 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Karsten's Kenneth Sharp Console

Started by karsthotep, Mar 25, 2017, 06:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

I haven't yet these are all just dry fit right now, not glued together.  The glue hasn't arrived yet.  What did you use to polish yours? A compound or sandpaper?
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

karsthotep

Mar 31, 2018, 10:35 pm #136 Last Edit: Mar 31, 2018, 10:36 pm by karsthotep
Another update, was working on the base of the time rotor today. I'll be putting on the bendy MDF cladding tomorrow.

54421908815.JPG

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

54422811946.JPG
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

davidnagel

Lovely!

My only argument on using MDF anything is the weight, especially in regards to the time rotor. Personally, when I actually get around to making the mechanism that makes the thing go up and down, I intended to use black styrene to wrap around the body and thus, presumably, it'll be lighter - that way any motor/counterweighting doesn't need to work as hard.

Just my two pence on that one!  Loving how clean looking you're making this all seem!
Regards
David

karsthotep

I am glad you chimed in with that,   I am going to consider that option now that you mentioned it. 

Oh and thanks for saying I am making it look effortless, its not <lol> I go over things again and again and again before I even attempt something,  then before I practice again.   I am dreading gluing the triangles together and muffing something up there, so I am practicing with the red triangles first. 

Everything I am doing is really a first for me here.  :P

lespaceplie

Quote from: karsthotep on Mar 22, 2018, 10:46 pmThis stuff is damn close...

How did you file the edge angles on the plastic? I'm only doing this in 1:4, but I suspect I'm doing it the hard way, which is filing with a 60-degree custom sanding block in a mini sanding jig (indispensable for miniatures). I cannibalized a little neon pink/orange tray to get thin acrylic.

karsthotep

I did mine on the table saw with a blade I purchased on amazon specifically for cutting acrylic, its a triple chip tooth acrylic blade, 80 teeth.  It gave it a nice clean edge, I still need to sand them a bit to give them more of a polish but the blade cuts acrylic very nicely. 

lespaceplie

I tried the same with mini tilting arbor saw. In spite of the correct blade, it just wasn't powerful enough. Back to simply filing until my arm falls off, though a Dremel router might do for scale models if a 60-degree bit exists.

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: karsthotep on Apr 06, 2018, 10:05 am
I did mine on the table saw with a blade I purchased on amazon specifically for cutting acrylic, its a triple chip tooth acrylic blade, 80 teeth.  It gave it a nice clean edge, I still need to sand them a bit to give them more of a polish but the blade cuts acrylic very nicely. 
exactly how I did mine...

the final sanding and polishing as well

tony farrell

I think you mean "ours" Steve!  ;)

T

karsthotep

Apr 15, 2018, 08:23 pm #144 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2018, 10:24 pm by karsthotep
I was able to get quite a bit done this weekend,  the weather was great and I spent a good portion of Saturday, and part of today working on her.    I completed all 6 of the internal fins, (1 had to be redone)  I also completed the 2nd time rotor base.    I used 2 pieces of half inch plywood either glued together, or screwed together depending on their placement to get the 1 inch timber required from Tony's plans.  2 of them are screwed as they will later be bolted together at the seam.   I sprung for a Kregg saw guide to cut my fins,  It made things a lot easier after I learned how I needed to place it for each cut, (hence the first screw up).  So on with the pictures.  

First one cut the wrong way, but took a picture anyway,  still looks good It was 1/8 inch off, with might not seem like much until you fit on the trim on the front.  Luckily I did a test and found that out.  
IMG_0538.jpg

few more cut on Saturday
IMG_0539.jpg

I couldn't resist and took some rotor shots
IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

And today I got the last of them cut, It was a good productive weekend.

IMG_0542.jpg

Thanks for looking

russellsuthern

Wow!
TB is spoiling me at the moment with 3 classic consoles to drool over (with you, Omar & Scarfwearer.)

Happy days :D

Regards,

Russell

Scarfwearer

Yeah, they're a bit like busses: nothing for ages, then three arrive at once. I blame the weather...

I'm loving the care that's going into this. Mine was positively rushed by comparison.

karsthotep

Thanks guys.  I am analyzing each portion that I do ad nauseum before I move forward with anything. 

karsthotep

Little bit of work done today, I got a late start as I had weekend maintenance (I'm a Sys Admin). I was able to find 1 inch trim boards for the front fascia.   They were actually 1 1/4 but real measurements put the right at the 1" mark where I needed it.   I am going to try to get the other side done tomorrow.   

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

thanks for looking

Scarfwearer

Looking great!

So... you're a SysAdmin? There's an XKCD just for you: https://xkcd.com/705 :D