Apr 19, 2024, 08:03 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

FRESNEL sources

Started by Teletran, May 18, 2006, 12:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

handofomega

Aug 05, 2007, 03:40 pm #90 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 11:04 pm by scarfwearer
Yesterday I found the Holy Grail.  I was at a Garage Sale with the Missus and say a nautical lamp with THE Fresnal Lens I needed for my own TARDIS build.   Sadly I didn't have the $50 on me that the fellow was asking.   On a brighter note he gave me his number and told me to give him a call when I got the cash.   He said that if he hadn't sold it, it was mine.    I hope that He still has it.  Keep your fingers crossed.

atomicgraph

Aug 28, 2007, 09:33 pm #91 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 11:05 pm by scarfwearer
wow thank you for this find!!! i looked at lamps today i found one with a large fresnel lens but the casing was way wrong and it was $95. this is perfect

kcanez

Nov 09, 2007, 08:54 pm #92 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 11:05 pm by scarfwearer
Heya all,

I've been looking and looking but so far havn't found it in a post although I'm sure it's some place. While the builds are personal choice and nothings ever going to be 100% screen accurate, cann anyone tell me what side the 'original' fresnel lenses were for the Tom Baker box or the 2007. I don't remember the term used for those names and I don't want to loose my web page here trying to find it.

Thanks

avadh

Nov 19, 2007, 12:05 pm #93 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 11:05 pm by scarfwearer
You can buy fresnel lenses at this website www.go2marine.com just type in perko 360 and you will get a list of the ones available.

magepro

Aug 03, 2009, 03:36 am #94 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 11:05 pm by scarfwearer
There are currently 2 places I'm looking to get the lenses from. The first is Menards (here in the states). It is a model that's already been mentioned. I sized it up against the el-cheapo porch lite for $3.
th_c12d76b3.jpg
Notice the more pronounced fresnel pattern. It's amazing the difference it makes in what it does to the light.

I'm waiting on my 2 samples to come in from Perco. They've been making these for over 100 years for the marine industry. I'll post pics when they come in so you can see the difference. I can say that you will see sharper definitions on the edges.
(http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Magepro1/Avatars/th_8da9c60d.jpg)
Until next time, remember to, "Simply reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

** Tom

Darksyde

Dec 25, 2009, 05:21 pm #95 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 11:06 pm by scarfwearer
Did you ever get those perco lamps?

tardis81

Jan 08, 2010, 01:44 pm #96 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 11:06 pm by scarfwearer
i tried to get a fresnal lens from the marine shop but was told they do not do them any more and the manufacturer stoped doing them does any one know where i will find one in the uk without nicking one from outside st johns hospital .

magepro

Jan 10, 2010, 08:39 pm #97 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 11:06 pm by scarfwearer
Well, Perco only sent me one instead of the 2 samples I requested. When I first pulled it out of the box, it looked like it had a grey-ish tint to it. It was made of plastic and had a seam where the two halves had been put together.  It was the much larger one they sent me and I was afraid it was way too big. It does look a little large to me still, but we made it work due to our time constraints.

At first, I was a little disappointed due to the differences. However, this is what I discovered... That high up, you really don't notice the seams. With it being plastic, its much harder to break while you are trying to install and uninstall it over and over. The tint makes NO difference at all.

We used a fairly low wattage bulb from what I was wanting to use originally.  It was one of those long, clear bulbs that has a filement that goes from end to end. This fills the center of the lense and makes it look fantastic when it strobes. The use of a DJ's chaser set allowed me to adjust the timing I needed and the slow build up of current and shut off are just perfect!

I just found out that we are getting some more office space and the TARDIS will be moved there so I can continue working on it to have it completely ready for Gencon 2010.

As of yet, I don't know if we will be taking it to any other cons. IF you guys have any suggestions where I can have the boss convinced that Dr. Who stuff will sell like hot-cakes, I'll pass them on to him.   ;D
(http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Magepro1/Avatars/th_8da9c60d.jpg)
Until next time, remember to, "Simply reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

** Tom

domvar

DoctorWho8

That lamp is a bit on the small side.  It comes out about 5 1/4" wide.  Police Box fresnels were typically 6 1/2" to 7" wide.  This would be good for a 3/4 sized box.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Quote from: domvar on Jul 06, 2011, 09:39 pm
http://www.screwfix.com/p/black-pedestal-light/77411
wont let me post image

£21.21 and it is glass

Volpone

Nov 30, 2011, 07:37 pm #100 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2011, 11:41 pm by rassilonsrod
This is my lens:  click here.

My Lowe's used to sell just the replacement glass, but I haven't seen it the last couple times I've been in and couldn't find it on their Website.  If anyone really, really, REALLY wants me to, I can maybe dig out my receipts and see if I can find the UPC# was for the replacement lens.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

fedora

I managed to get a fresnel lamp from a lighting company called envirolite whom were sellig them on ebay at the time.
But it was just a police box !

Mark

Jan 16, 2012, 01:19 pm #102 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2012, 01:34 pm by mark
Although I couldn't see any prices, these do new lenses as replacement parts. http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/navigation_lights_over_20_meters/product/651/
They don't mention the width of the lens and the do look a tad skinny but may be fine depending on what version you are building?

I have a heavy glass anchor lamp lens which is almost the correct size for a real box (6 inch diameter by 5 inch height), anyone skilled with resin casting is welcome to come and cast away.
IMG_20120116_132612.jpg
If anyone does, I'll buy a cast because despite it's weight and thickness, I am petrified I may damage or break it

fedora

When i was at acar boot sale last week i found a fresnel lens in  box full of junk iasked the stall holder how much he would take for it and he said £2 . He did not know wat it was until i told him. This lens measures 4 inches high and 2 and a half in diameter. think i can use it for a half size build.rsz_tardis02_046.jpg
But it was just a police box !

DoctorWho8

That's a good deal and yes, would be good for a 1/2-3/4-sized build.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff