Apr 25, 2024, 01:09 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

FRESNEL sources

Started by Teletran, May 18, 2006, 12:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Turned acrylic rod is a perfect result, really. There is a nautical keychain available on eBay that would work for a 1:8 model.

Angelus Lupus

This doesn't really count as a 'source', unless I go begging, buying or stealing  ;D

Seen from my Nan's window in her neighbour's back garden:
SAM_0628.JPG

close-up
Image11.png

I ever I get around to building a full-size Tardis, I may just have to go knocking on their door.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Volpone

There's a bar in Portland called "Roadside Attraction" that has an outdoor area that has a couple anchor lanterns and a fair amount of pebbled glass.  Luckily, I don't get to go there very often and I never get to be drunk enough to make bad decisions. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

karsthotep

I am shocked that after all this time they still have them there.  It's over 10 years now since I got mine there.  Amazing

Quote from: christmasimperial on Oct 18, 2016, 04:14 pm
Quote from: Doctor Iz on Jun 03, 2006, 05:48 pm

Karst and Purple got their Fresnel lens from Hardware Specialty Co. Their particular lens measurements: height 6" x diameter 6.5"

I spoke to a guy named Joe Wilson.  He was very helpful.   They have about 30-40 glass 360 degree Fresnel lens' left.  They have not sold the glass ones in quite some time.  There going for about $44.00 US.  I ordered one and will post a pic to make sure it is the real McCoy!

I have included the address, phone numbers, web site that Karst posted on my thread for those interested.

Cheers -- Jon

Hardware Specialty Co.
3419 11th Ave S.W.
Seattle, WA 98134

Phone(206)624-5785
Fax (206)682)-0186

Cheers,
Jon
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Volpone

May 21, 2017, 02:44 pm #184 Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:48 pm by Volpone
I may have to do a road trip before I leave the Pacific Northwest.  Superior Wisconsin used to have a store called M. Berger Hardware where, I'm told, along with the usual hardware items, they had draft horse tack and a windshield for a Model T Ford.  I bought a pair of fencing foils there (and a saw and a miter box).  This sounds like it might be the same sort of place and I'd need this lens if I ever built a full-sized police box.

On a related note, when I decided to put a phone in my TARDIS, I was going to use a military field phone, so I headed down to the local surplus store and they were as surprised as me that they'd sold all theirs. I guess they had them forever.  They said they had some non-working ones and wondered if I wanted one of them, but that kind of defeats the point of using a field phone in a TARDIS--being able to ask for your mummy.  I considered asking if they'd sell the demo model that was wired up in the store, but didn't.  I'll probably wind up doing the same thing with this Seattle hardware store and its anchor lenses. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

christmasimperial

They are a hardware store with a nautical/Navy background. The are on the Duwamish Delta (Harbor Island on the Seattle waterfront). I got my Fresnel there in October of 2016. New old stock in the box. Pictures and measurements are elsewhere on this wonderful site.

evil bob

handofomega

Lowe's!!!  FTW!!!   Thank you so much for locating that!   Once this snow clears out I am going to buy one

boxman550

i wanna get one just to make a money box out of it
or a bedside lamp

Volpone

I did not need to see that.  That's a very nice lamp.  The temptation to build a met box grows...
-The Doctor.

evil bob

galacticprobe

Jan 18, 2018, 07:33 pm #191 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2018, 07:33 pm by galacticprobe
See my comments here (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8347.msg105837;topicseen#msg105837) if you haven't already. It might come in useful for anyone looking for an inexpensive Fresnel-esque lens for their lamps (TARDIS or bedside).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

karsthotep

I just found a new source of fresnel lenses after much emailing and calling, there is a minimum order required but it becomes very reasonable should we coordinate a group order.  They are brand new from gillinder glass who previously supplied some of the lamps to the Seattle warehouse where many of us were able to get some.   I have included the specs below.

$375. Minimum order charge.
GB-5402 Crystal -Pricing is as follows:
1-2 ps - $375.00
3-7 pcs - $90.93 ea.
8+ pcs - $ 47.36 ea.
Terms:  Cash in Advance of order.
Freight is FOB Port Jervis NY 12771

GB5402.png
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

cdngoose

If we can get the 8+ I will be in for at least 1 possibly 2

Cdngoose

karsthotep

I would be in for at least 1 myself.