Apr 24, 2024, 11:56 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Third Doctor's / Jon Pertwee's Tattoo

Started by warmcanofcoke, Mar 18, 2017, 03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Before we even knew of the Corsair [The Doctor's Wife - Series Six 2011], The Doctor had a tattoo of his own. As a Child I was fascinated by it and if there had been a clear picture of it, I probably would of had sought out a Tattoo Artist when I was old enough to get a Tattoo.

From Jon Pertwee's Autobiography Moon Boots and Dinner Suits, I know that the Crew of the HMS hood saved up their grog rations for a birthday party for Jon. Jon was in no fit state after the party and his crew-mates hid him from view for a few days. (Taking on his duties so that there was no evidence.) When Jon Awoke there was a toilet paper bandage around his forearm. He'd been Tattooed. I understand the Snake displays his tongue in the form of a "C" for Carlotta (A woman Jon was seeing at the time.)

My personal Fan-Theory is that the Tattoo was placed there by the Time Lords - a prison Tattoo - a warning to other Time Lords and part of the mechanism that imposes the block on the Doctor's knowledge of how to operate the Tardis. [*Not Canon]

I only have the DVDs so if the blu-ray of Spearhead From Space provides better detail Please upload a few screen captures.  ;D

Spearhead From Space 1970 Season 7 Story 51

Jon 01.jpg
Jon 02.jpg
Jon 03.jpg
Jon 04.jpg

Doctor Who and the Silurians 1970 Season 7 Story 52

Jon 05.jpg
Jon 06.jpg
Jon 07.jpg
Jon 08.jpg

Bonus The Mind of Evil 1971 Season 8 Story 56 DVD Extra : Photo Gallery

Jon Tattoo Min of Evil.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

Angelus Lupus

I've never seen it that clearly before... I love that it can be interpreted as a ? as well as a snake. I wonder if they ever thought about covering it up at the time? Did they think it would even be visible on 70's TV screens?
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Cardinal Hordriss

If I were the director I would have had the make-up artist cover it but I've heard the theory it's a Time Lord brand indicating criminality, might have worked as a source of resentment or shame for the Doctor had it been explained on screen.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Davros Skaro

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Mar 18, 2017, 09:06 pm
If I were the director I would have had the make-up artist cover it but I've heard the theory it's a Time Lord brand indicating criminality, might have worked as a source of resentment or shame for the Doctor had it been explained on screen.

Tattoos don't always have to mean "criminal", it could mean rank or position of authority!
I kind of like it that they left it to be seen, gives him character, rather than just being "squeaky clean" if you know what I mean.
If you noticed, Martha actually has tattoos & they didn't cover hers up either. On her right upper arm. Probably to hard & it could easily be rubbed off accidentally & they don't want to have to cut & touch up every time that happens.

Chris.

P.S. I think I look at things too logically sometimes so forgive me. :-\ ;)
Chris.

Cardinal Hordriss

Mar 18, 2017, 10:45 pm #4 Last Edit: Mar 18, 2017, 10:46 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
I have tattoos myself, I'm not saying they are innately criminal but in a novel somewhere it's explained as being a mark put on him by the Time Lords after his trial to indicate he is a criminal found guilty of breaking the law of non-interference.

I would cover it because with no explanation it seems odd he'd have a tattoo having only just regenerated, to be logical. Years later it would be established on screen that regeneration removes tattoos which is why the Corsair kept having theirs redone.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

warmcanofcoke

Many of my friends have tattoos - all of them are cool and I have never felt less of my friends because of them. In the 1930s/40s the people of the time thought there was a stigma about them.

However If people have any images of this Tattoo up close and in detail I'd love to see them.

Cardinal Hordriss

I've found it in the TARDIS Data Core - the novel is called Christmas on a Rational Planet, the tattoo was put there by the Time Lords to signify that the Doctor was an exile.

warmcanofcoke

As they say : there are no new ideas under the sun. ::)

The14thDr

I've been looking online and can't find any clearer images of the Third Doctor's tattoo.

However, I did find this, which looks very similar....
IMG_0655.JPG

It's not 100% spot-on, but I reckon one of our members would be able to make the necessary modifications to the design.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

warmcanofcoke

Mar 19, 2017, 03:11 pm #9 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 03:24 pm by warmcanofcoke
Doctor Who Magazine #241 (31st July 1996)
Out of the Tardis - Jon Pertwee interview

Jon Pertwee001.jpg
Jon Pertwee002.jpg

Scanned at 200 dpi

Still would love to see a clearer image*

*edit also found this in an image search:
jon-pertwee-actor-and-his-wife-ingeborg-june-1970-with-children-dariel-B4J47B.jpg

The14thDr

Nice images warmcanofcoke!
Looking at the second image you posted, it appears that the design I found isn't as similar to the Third Doctor's tattoo as I'd originally thought.

Hopefully some clearer images will surface soon.
Kind regards, The14thDr :D

warmcanofcoke

Your spirit is always appreciated Man ;)

The14thDr

"I am and always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improblable dreams." ;D ;)

warmcanofcoke

Mar 19, 2017, 03:55 pm #13 Last Edit: Mar 19, 2017, 11:48 pm by warmcanofcoke
Founds some stuff on the nets:
637181015.jpg
actor-jon-pertwee-playing-the-piano-as-singer-cilla-black-sits-on-top-picture-id592671157.jpg
british-actor-jon-pertwee-31st-january-1959-he-played-popular-who-picture-id144660593.jpg
english-actor-jon-pertwee-working-on-a-speedboat-at-his-home-in-uk-picture-id637180985.jpg
portrait-of-actor-jon-pertwee-wearing-naval-uniform-with-his-arms-picture-id592670697.jpg
old tat.jpg

Angelus Lupus

That one of him in the hoodie looks almost Capaldi-ish
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.