chriskingbees

Jul 07, 2006, 08:14 pm #15 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:32 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
Found a few new (Old) photos of interest courtesy of Colin John the glass man;
A couple of favourites;

earlscourt-1.jpg
A nice early ('96) Earl's Court

oddpost.jpg
This baby again, could it be Northwood? or maybe Gillingham in Kent?

barnet-1.jpg
A Barnet I found on FlickR images that I've not seen before

shedbox.jpg
And this shed style is real I'm informed and is living in a yard near here and has apparently been sold to an enthusiast. Any one know who?
Many thanks as always
KB

ironageman

Jul 10, 2006, 04:26 pm #16 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:32 pm by scarfwearer
Nice pictures! Out of curiosity, why do you suggest Gillingham? Anyhow, I don't think that the baby is at Northwood; there's a picture of Northwood police station on the police website and their 'police box' is a standard police post (as far as I can tell).

The tatty shed is indeed a police box; the poor thing apparently spent a decade under a broken gutter in a salvage yard (I.M. Forman's, possibly), then its remains were sold a year or so ago to a chap who has a kiosk website. It's supposedly a Coventry or Norfolk box. As the only Norfolk box I know of looks nothing like this, and the Coventry box at Avoncroft looks exactly like it, I'd go with the Coventry theory...
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

chriskingbees

Jul 11, 2006, 08:58 pm #17 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:33 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
The shed box is at the moment still with the redkiosk guy (I know him well)  but he has recently sold it on to a private client whom I don't know.
In the meantime a few more to mull over;

crichold.jpg

An early Crich with nice dark paint

sandbags.jpg

Another wartime sandbag special

tramtardis.jpg

A grainy South London tram but our friend is  in there

T201007.jpg

Now this is TOOTING Broadway and though mainly obscured it seems worth including for the location.

And last a couple of real oddities!

dontknow.jpg

realllydontknow.jpg

The bottom one must be Scottish if the lamp is anything to go by

Pictures courtesy of Colin John except Tooting
Many thanks
KB

Teletran

Jul 12, 2006, 04:44 am #18 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:33 pm by scarfwearer
Note phone panel colour in second picture.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

davewho7

Jul 12, 2006, 08:02 am #19 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:34 pm by scarfwearer
The second to last is in Brighton, which i am only a few miles away from.
Always remered this from when i was little, never seen it used. But even more amased it's still there, ouside one of my favorite pubs when i was at college. The King and Queen at the Steine gardens. I did think it may have something to do with the old trams that used this route?.

mantamatt

Jul 12, 2006, 11:31 am #20 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:34 pm by scarfwearer
Nice one KB, I particularly like the early Crich photo you can see from the base it's only just been deposited there and I recognise that shade of dark blue. Some of the boxes in the other pictures look like they're a lighter shade of blue.

dalethetimelord

Jul 12, 2006, 11:34 am #21 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:34 pm by scarfwearer
The last pic is a Dundee box, the smallest of the three sorts that were available - I've got an old programme on tape about Scottish Police Police Boxes, and did a nice section on the three boxes.

As for the Brighton box - it's not, AFAIK, a Police Box... for a start it's far too short!  Also, it's just over the road from me now....

ironageman

Jul 12, 2006, 03:50 pm #22 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:35 pm by scarfwearer
More nice pictures! It's interesting how light in colour the London boxes were in the thirties, not the dark Metropolitan blue that we've got used to seeing, so I'm feeling more forgiving of Crich and their Tardis-blue paint.

I think that the Brighton thing is something to do with controlling a fountain - does this make sense?

I hadn't seen the little Dundee one before. Fab stuff. Presumably that's one of the little Emergency Call boxes; as Dale says, there were two other sizes of police box in Dundee (four person Section,and two person Beat boxes):
crocodile.jpg

policeboxnut

Jul 13, 2006, 02:39 pm #23 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:35 pm by scarfwearer
I've got a theory - I've just been looking at the pics on the other side of the Barnet box in its heyday and I reckon it's an updated MK 1 - correct me if I'm wrong...all the windows look Mk 1 ish
::)
'It's only significant if you find significance insignificant' - Slipback

ironageman

Jul 13, 2006, 05:17 pm #24 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:35 pm by scarfwearer
If you mean that it originally had a sign below the telephone door then yes, absolutely, and you can just make out the filled-in screw holes on this panel:
screwholesformk1sign.jpg
if you sort of flog your imagination a bit...

policeboxnut

Jul 14, 2006, 09:19 am #25 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:36 pm by scarfwearer
That's good - i thought i was going strange...plus the phone panel door itself looks a bit odd too.
Not that it matters now mind you.

ironageman

Aug 02, 2006, 06:51 pm #26 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:36 pm by scarfwearer
As Chris'KingBee has begun the Frith-archive raid... here are a couple more from that source:

Coulsdon
BrightonRoadCoulsdon.jpg

Drift Bridge, which I think is (just) in Surrey:
D221001driftbridgeSURREY1955.jpg

Again, it's a game of spot-the-Tardis.

chriskingbees

Aug 04, 2006, 08:09 pm #27 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:36 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
Thanks for posting these pics Ironage.
Great pics for me these as both were in my area when I was young. Drift bridge is indeed in Surrey on the road from Banstead to Epsom and Coulsdon; outside the Red Lion. I remember both of them and the Coulsdon area  hasn't changed much if you discount knocking the pub down two years ago. A massive new relief road is being constructed there now so maybe the traffic will ease again.
One pic I'm trying to find is Thornton Heath clock tower, Parchmore road. as there was definately a tardis there at one time and get this. The door was flat and unpainted for a while, a very familiar set up. I,ve found a Thornton Heath pond pic but mislaid it, where yet another one stood. Obviously due to my age I remember several boxes and Croydon and the local area was well served once. The search continues
Many thanks
KB

chriskingbees

Apr 27, 2006, 09:13 pm #28 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:38 pm by scarfwearer
Good spot Ironage , the door does look low and it's the not the scan cos' the pic's like it too

policeboxnut

Apr 28, 2006, 07:13 am #29 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2010, 03:38 pm by scarfwearer
Maybe it's the one that was supposed to be fitted to the Crich box only the other way round!!!