Apr 27, 2024, 02:13 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Police Post query

Started by kiwidoc, Jan 25, 2009, 06:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Jan 25, 2009, 06:24 pm Last Edit: Sep 19, 2011, 04:49 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi all, someoneh as meailed me asking whether we know the number and location of London's remaining Police Posts (well, they didn't know what to call them but we got there in the end) and to be honest I haven't the foggiest.  I know that some of you do have a particular interest in them and have spotted them here and there, can you help me assemble an answer?

Ta, glen

Scarfwearer

Sep 25, 2009, 11:55 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 20, 2010, 11:30 pm by scarfwearer
Thanks for the link! People visit periodically and are often looking for police boxes and posts.

Crispin

BTW, welcome to TARDIS Rebuilders. :)

dalethetimelord

Jan 25, 2009, 07:09 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:03 am by scarfwearer
I know of five London Police Posts.  Ironically, only two are in London still.  There's one the Crich Tramway Village, along with last Met Type 2 Box, there's one at Avonscroft Museum of Historic Buildings, with one Glasgow and one older hut style box, and there's one in Nottingham's Gallieries of Justice, next to a Newcastle hut style Police Box.

Of the two I know in London, there's a Met Police Post on Oxford Circus, next to a new and very high tech Police sub-station, and there's a much rarer City of London Police Post outside St Mary's church, near the Ten Bells pub, in the now infamous Whitechapel area, you pass it on all the Whitechapel Murders/"Jack the Ripper" tours.

chriskingbees

Jan 25, 2009, 08:27 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:03 am by scarfwearer
OOO! There's more in London, and some other museum specimens
My son's website has them all I believe;

http://www.redphonebox.info/gallerypolice.htm

KB

dalethetimelord

Jan 26, 2009, 12:19 am #4 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:03 am by scarfwearer
great stuff Chris n Robert!!

robertpunk

Jan 26, 2009, 05:03 pm #5 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:04 am by scarfwearer
Hi Dale,

Is the box you talk about in Whitechapel pictured on my website? It doesn't sound familiar to me and i'm wondering if i've messed up with my locations on one of them.

dalethetimelord

Jan 26, 2009, 11:39 pm #6 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:04 am by scarfwearer
Yup, it's the one labelled as Aldgate.  Same area. 

kiwidoc

Jan 29, 2009, 06:53 am #7 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:04 am by scarfwearer
Thanks guys - knew you'd be onto it.  Great work Robert!

menelaus

Jun 22, 2009, 10:47 am #8 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:05 am by scarfwearer
There has just been one placed outside a police building (I think it's a base for PCSO's) near to Empress State Building in Lillie Rd SW6.

Hope this helps.

Menelaus

p.s.  Also one in the foyer at Hendon police training centre and of course one (or two?) real ones in the police archive/stores/museum.

Rassilons Rod

Jun 23, 2009, 08:59 am #9 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:05 am by scarfwearer
A police post!?

Wow, I used to live round the corner from there.  Anyone got any pics?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

menelaus

Jun 29, 2009, 10:30 am #10 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:05 am by scarfwearer
I saw it again the other day.  I think it must have been repainted as it is in a light blue very like the City posts (although it is a Met one)

menelaus

starcross

Sep 25, 2009, 10:51 am #11 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 12:05 am by scarfwearer
This seems like an old thread but its only like nine months old, so its probably still relevant. I'm not sure about the Posts described above, the locations don't sound familiar but I'm sure I have the same posts listed. I used the name of the street they were on rather than an area because I wouldn't know the area names being from Canada.

London Police Post Map

There are 13 Police Posts in London, if you take just the Police Posts from Aldgate Tube Station to the Victoria Embankment, it is a walking journey of 2.4 miles West and should take about 1 hour to complete. A quick hop on the Tube at Temple by Victoria Embankment you can visit the Piccadilly Post, then the Grosvenor Square Post, and if you don't mind a bit of a long ride the Northwood Post. Although going to Northwood will likely add an extra hour to the trip. There are two Met Posts in Sidcup as well but not sure if public transit would work for that one. I've only been to London twice myself so I'm sure a local might not find it difficult.

There are several more than that kicking around, more than 30 actually. I have a page on Flickr called Police Post Lost & Found. Although it has more than that, there is a map for Glasgow and Edinburgh Boxes as well. Its really just a dump for all my research notes...

Anyway Hope that helps everyone out!

~Starcross

EDIT: links fixed - SW