Apr 26, 2024, 09:38 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Other Dave's Season 14 Console

Started by Other Dave, Jan 23, 2017, 09:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Other Dave

Jan 23, 2017, 09:54 pm Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 09:55 pm by dlindsley
So while I'm finishing up on my Hartnel/Troughton console, I've decided to go ahead and make the Season 14 wooden console too!

I found the same 1975 Bergamot Ram Head Belt Buckle on ebay that warmcanofcoke found!  

ramhead0.jpg

So I decided that although not exact to whatever they really used on the console, that it was very close.  But I wanted to make some modifications to it.

First off, I made a silicon mold from the original belt buckle.  (I built up some clay underneath to make the mold easier to remove.)

ramhead1.jpg

I hot-glued the buckle to a scrap of acrylic and then glued a cut-off plastic cup as shown.

ramhead2.jpg

I mixed up the silicon and slowly pored it over the buckle.

ramhead3.jpg

Then, after 18 hours, I removed the buckle.

ramhead4.jpg

Now I poured a black resin mixture in it.  I used Alumilite resin.  (it didn't need to be black, but I'm also using the resin to make some more black switches for my other build!)

ramhead5.jpg

And Presto! In just a few minutes, I have a plastic version of the buckle.

ramhead6.jpg

Now I can cut down and modify it to what I want.

ramhead7.jpg

I did the same process for this new casting.
ramhead8.jpg
ramhead9.jpg

Now for something really cool, I decided to use a brush-on bronze powder inside the mold before I poured the black resin in. (I used Alumilite bronze powder.  See alumilite.com)

ramhead10.jpg

And before it set, I covered it with a piece of styrofoam holding a couple of bolts that extended into the mold.  These bolt holes will be used later to attach the ram heads to the console.

ramhead11.jpg

Oops.  Didn't turn out so hot.  I used way too much powder in the mold. So the clumps of excess powder turned into holes!  And my styrofoam melted from the heat of the resin curing!

ramhead12.jpg

So second attempt:
This time I used just a small dab of bronze and brushed it very thinly in the mold. I also shook out all excess powder.  I replaced the styrofoam with a scrap of wood.  

ramhead13.jpg
ramhead14.jpg

Much better!
ramhead14B.jpg

Still one more goof: The resin stuck to the wood like super glue!  I had a hard time busting it off.  So for the next castings, I wrapped the wood in wax paper.

And here they are:

ramhead15.jpg

The hair that I added on top ended up being not as smooth and shiny as the rest of the head.  So I think I may wipe a little brass paint there to make it match better.

So this is my beginning!  I think the next thing I want to do is to make the "ball and claw" feet for the bottom.

More to come!

- Other Dave

Scarfwearer

Jan 23, 2017, 10:12 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 10:13 pm by Scarfwearer
Wow! Flying start! Those look really good.

... and I've never even got to the claw-feet either. Mine are just round.

I'm really going to have to get my finger out, but I'm a bit distracted right now... :)

Thanks for sharing so much detail - it's really helpful for everyone.

Crispin

Other Dave

Quote from: Scarfwearer on Jan 23, 2017, 10:12 pm
Wow! Flying start! Those look really good.
Crispin

Thanks! But it's because of you guys that inspire me so much!  (Would love to see your console finished up soon.)

- Other Dave 

Scarfwearer

I'm a little distracted at the moment... ;)

Crispin

museumdave

Feb 03, 2017, 04:46 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2017, 04:48 pm by museumdave
Fantastic!  What a wonderful start.
thanks for sharing your learning process with the casting. I am sure it could be frustrating with holes from bronze powder and resin sticking to wood, but very informative.  I have always wanted to try casting but realty never have.  Your work inspires me to give it a try.  
Keep it up.

they look awesome!
cheers
M.D. (the Other- Other Dave.... or does that make me "Proper Dave"?)
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

Other Dave

Here's a little update.  I found (after much looking around) some 3.5" wooden balls for the bottom of the console. There are lots of other sizes all over and it seems as though 2.5" or 3.0" is all I could find, but I finally found the right size at an Etsy listing for vases (of all things).  The place is ModernVase on Etsy. The items are "Round Wood Balls Sphere for Craft in SIX (6) Different Sizes". $6.99 each.

newbery1.jpg

The first task is to sand the top and bottom down flat. It took a bit of doing to get it right.  The level on top of one of the balls in this picture shows me that it's level.  The finish size is 75mm according to Tony's plans.

newbery2.jpg

Now for the fun part:  Using some Sculpey clay, I've fashioned a claw.  I only need to make one, because I will cast this and put three of them on each ball.  I haven't quite finalized on the look yet.

When I'm done, I plan to bake this Sculpey claw so that it is rigid, and then make a mold of it.
When I cast them, I plan to add a brown coloring agent to the resin, so I don't have to worry about painting it.
I also plan to use a slightly rubbery resin so that it will fit each ball - just in case each ball differs in size.

I found out that there are lots of different casting resin types available. Some are as flimsy as jello, going up to just slightly rubbery like a roller skate.  I think I will use the roller-skate variety.

But I'm going to wait to cast these until I have the rest of the console mostly done and stained, so I can match the finish color correctly.

That's all for now!

The14thDr

I'm sorry, what?!?!
Three console builds?!?! :o :o You sir, are a legend; I've no idea how you manage it all! And no, I'm not jealous, what makes you think that? ;) ;D ;D)

This is looking great so far! I can't wait for the next update. :)
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Mar 25, 2017, 05:44 am #7 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2017, 05:48 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Other Dave on Mar 24, 2017, 03:23 pm
I found out that there are lots of different casting resin types available. Some are as flimsy as jello, going up to just slightly rubbery like a roller skate.  I think I will use the roller-skate variety.

??? I know I'll be really dating myself with this one, but when I was a kid, our roller skates had wheels that were made from steel! (Seriously. Take them off after only an hour and your legs felt like they were made of rubber!)

Great find on those wooden balls. I think I've seen 3.5-inch diameter ones in Michael's or A.C. Moore's (or both). Some have one small flat spot on them, some are completely round, but for the most part 3 inches is what those stores mostly have, and 3 inches about as close as the US is going to get to 75mm (2.953 inches).

Now I've got to hunt down Tony's measurements for this console!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Dino - you won't find my dimensions for the wooden console anywhere yet!

The only people that have them (apart from me, that is) are Dave and Barry; Dave so he could make a start on his console and Barry (Silverfox) so he can create the CGI renders. 

The renders are looking superb by the way! (Just the actual control panels to go - and the delay there is entirely down to me.) :)

T

galacticprobe

Mar 26, 2017, 03:57 am #9 Last Edit: Mar 26, 2017, 03:58 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 25, 2017, 01:59 pm
Dino - you won't find my dimensions for the wooden console anywhere yet!

The renders are looking superb by the way! (Just the actual control panels to go - and the delay there is entirely down to me.) :)

You certainly love to tease, Tony! (I'm ready to break out the "nail-biting" graphic again!)

Perhaps to go with your avatar, you should include in your "Personal Text" field: "The Tease Master". ;D ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Other Dave

Just a quick post to let you know I'm still kicking!  The last several months have been really busy.  After we delivered the 85% Baker console to the client in Pennsylvania (and visited Kennedy Space Center to watch a SpaceX launch!  Wow! ) - we decided to look for a new house in a town closer to our kids.  So after looking all summer, we found a house and have spent several months gradually moving in.

Part of the criteria for the new place was it HAD to have a workshop!  So we found the perfect place and yes it HAS a workshop on the property!

IMG_2326.JPG

It's sub-freezing cold in the winter, and blazing hot in the summer, but it's all mine!  (gotta get some insulation in there!)

Here's a shot of the inside:

IMG_2325.JPG

Boxes and junk everywhere!

The two consoles are in the back (minus their panels).  As we were leaving the ComicCon in SLC, the acrylic cover from the Troughton console fell on the ground and cracked.  I tried to fix it but could not.  I'm going to try again - or maybe just start over with a new piece of acrylic.

I've been putting in very long hours at work (I'm an app developer) and I have an art show this weekend (I'm also an artist!), but hoping to get back to the wooden console very soon!

Stayed tuned!

- Other Dave

russellsuthern

Wow!!
What a fantastic work space...I'm super jealous!!!

Can't wait for more updates... I love console builds!!!

Russell