New, New TardisBuilders!

New Met box plans - first draft.

Started by anita, Feb 06, 2009, 12:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

handofomega

Feb 16, 2009, 09:14 pm #15 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:17 am by scarfwearer
I did one a while back in Sketch-up.

TARDISExterior-1.jpg

I mostly eye-balled it when I couldn't make out the proper dimensions off the Met-Box plans I have.  Got fairly close... 

Your's is much better sir!!!   I am off to make changes using your dimensions.   ;D

atomicgraph

Feb 16, 2009, 09:41 pm #16 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:17 am by scarfwearer
those look great, and i have a new respect for all those who have accomplished so much using sketchup.... i'm still trying to get the hang of it and all my 3-d stuff is really crappy :P

anita

Feb 16, 2009, 11:14 pm #17 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:17 am by scarfwearer
I'm looking forward to the new version of your Met box, handofomega - even if you did call me sir!
I'm glad to hear the easier to find measurements will be of help.

Atomicgraph,
I've been using Sketchup for Five days and I hadn't a clue how to use it before then, now I'm addicted - it's such a fantastic piece of software.  All I needed to learn was located in the video tutorials on the Sketchup help page and the rest was trial an error.
I still haven't managed to get my head around making components so all the doors and the pillars were made individually - it took a LONG time but I'm very happy with the result.

Anita

MetBox.jpg

handofomega

Feb 16, 2009, 11:52 pm #18 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:18 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: anita on Feb 16, 2009, 11:14 pmI'm looking forward to the new version of your Met box, handofomega - even if you did call me sir!

Term of endearment.   ;)

policeboxnut

Feb 17, 2009, 02:10 pm #19 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:18 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: anita board=policebox thread=1070 post=19584 time=1234584582I have your season 18 and it's a bloody nice Sketchup, all you have to do is change the design style and the lines will show up better...

You've lost me there - do you mean you have my original? I thought I deleted it.....
Told you I was thick.
'It's only significant if you find significance insignificant' - Slipback

policeboxnut

Feb 17, 2009, 08:22 pm #20 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:19 am by scarfwearer
i found it thanks - grew a brain during the afternoon!!!
I changed it a bit too.......
How the hell do I upload a photo with the clarity of yours???

anita

Feb 17, 2009, 11:54 pm #21 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:19 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: policeboxnut on Feb 17, 2009, 08:22 pmi found it thanks - grew a brain during the afternoon!!!
I changed it a bit too.......
How the hell do I upload a photo with the clarity of yours???

Go to the part called window (between tools and help) in Sketchup and then find "styles".
Chose "design" in the default files section.
After this go to "file" and export "2D graphic".
Here's your version;
Tardis.jpg
Where did you get the dims incidentally?

handofomega

Feb 18, 2009, 04:56 am #22 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:20 am by scarfwearer
Thank you for the new Dimesnions!!!!!!   Didn't take too long to readjust the old girl.   Sorry if she looks a bit dark but I wanted her to look like she just got a fresh coat of paint.   It is one of the reasons I am sending the monochrome pics as well.

exterior.jpg

exterior1.jpg

exterior2.jpg

exterior3.jpg

exterior4.jpg

in the fog....

exterior5.jpg

close-up of the lock...   ;)

exterior6.jpg

Again thank you VERY much for the new Dimensions.   Your hard work is VERY appreciated by this forum member.

;D

anita

Feb 18, 2009, 08:59 am #23 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:20 am by scarfwearer
handofomega,

Your Met box is looking rather splendid!
I've just discovered the measurement for the sign boxes is out though so you may want to change that - the sign should be 7 11/16" from either end on each side.
I notice you couldn't find a program that could crop round objects either!
Anyone know how to do this for the St John's ambulance sign?
I've tried making the background a transparent layer in Photoshop but Sketchup doesn't recognise the transparency.
I also love the dark blue you've used but is that a wood grain in there?
Don't forget that they were concrete except for the prototype "display" versions...

handofomega

Feb 18, 2009, 09:12 pm #24 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:21 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: anita on Feb 18, 2009, 08:59 amhandofomega,

Your Met box is looking rather splendid!
I've just discovered the measurement for the sign boxes is out though so you may want to change that - the sign should be 7 11/16" from either end on each side.
I notice you couldn't find a program that could crop round objects either!
Anyone know how to do this for the St John's ambulance sign?
I've tried making the background a transparent layer in Photoshop but Sketchup doesn't recognise the transparency.
I also love the dark blue you've used but is that a wood grain in there?
Don't forget that they were concrete except for the prototype "display" versions...

I just used wood grain on the door(s).  The rest is actually Asphalt texture coloured to blue.  Gives it that concrete appearence.   

Yeah that is why I had to put the St.Johns in a depressed circle.   Couldn't get it to look right otherwise.

policeboxnut

Feb 19, 2009, 07:16 pm #25 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:21 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: anita on Feb 17, 2009, 11:54 pm
Where did you get the dims incidentally?

I've had a look Anita - I honestly cannot remember where I got those dims from but it was official dims with 'BBC' on them. So I thought they have to be accurate.
All I did was add another roof stack using the gaps between stacks as my guide and just guesswork really, It's quite shabby and thrown together - doesn't have the panache of yours which I found out when I put the two of them together, mine really is poor!!!

policeboxnut

Feb 20, 2009, 12:21 am #26 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:21 am by scarfwearer
Found out how to upload the picture - changed it a bit......
tardisIIIwithoutanitasmetbox.png

anita

Feb 20, 2009, 09:23 am #27 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:21 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: policeboxnut on Feb 19, 2009, 07:16 pm
I've had a look Anita - I honestly cannot remember where I got those dims from but it was official dims with 'BBC' on them. So I thought they have to be accurate.
All I did was add another roof stack using the gaps between stacks as my guide and just guesswork really, It's quite shabby and thrown together - doesn't have the panache of yours which I found out when I put the two of them together, mine really is poor!!!

On the contrary, your season 18 is a cracking looking Sketchup!
You also constructed it you the correct method with components as opposed to making each piece individually.
I made a Barachki box - can't believe how small it is compared to the Met box;

compare-2.jpg
compare2.jpg

anita

Feb 22, 2009, 06:30 pm #28 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:22 am by scarfwearer
Finished the Barachki and uploaded it to the Sketchup warehouse if anyone wants to download it!

Barachkicolor-1.jpg
Barachkicolor.jpg
Yale-1.jpg

anita

Feb 26, 2009, 03:59 pm #29 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011, 11:23 am by scarfwearer
I will get to making all the boxes eventually and I will also have a stab at  the S18 using your dims.
I'm in the process of creating Autocad drawings for the met box which I will use to create my 5th scale box.
In work I have a Pacer CNC machine which cuts styrene sheet perfectly - should be a nice model if I ever find the time to finish it!