Apr 18, 2024, 05:51 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

First Doctor's Journal... Possibly

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Dec 02, 2016, 08:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

I bought one of these a while back after seeing one used by the first Doctor. I knew exactly where to find them after seeing them while hunting for a new Book of Shadows.

However...

I can no longer remember which story it was. I thought it was The Web Planet. It has to be a DVD one because I wasn't born until '88.

They are lovely journals.

Any help confirming which story it's from would be much appreciated.

s-l1600.jpg
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Volpone

It was one of the early-early episodes.  Possibly the second part of "An Unearthly Child," even.  Because Susan finds it and gets upset because it has his notes for piloting the TARDIS, so he'd never have just set it down. 

Yep.  "The Cave of Skulls":  http://kniggit.net/2014/09/18/doctor-unearthly-child-part-2-cave-skulls/ "The other companions hear the altercation and rush toward the Doctor, but he is already gone. All that remains are his hat, notebook, and a broken geiger counter."
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

Thank you, that is his notebook but not the same prop as the one I'm trying to identify.

I'm not saying it wasn't in the following stories but it wasn't after seeing one of the following that I looked for one so that narrows it down a bit more -

The Aztecs
The Keys of Marinus
The Sensorites
The Romans
The Rescue
The Ark
The Space Museum
The Gunfighters
Planet of Giants
The Reign of Terror
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Volpone

I don't remember it from any of those stories and I haven't seen "The Aztecs" or "The Reign of Terror," so maybe those are your best bets.  He does have disease curing montages in "The Sensorites" and "The Ark," so maybe he makes notes as he's trying chemical combinations. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, those are the stories I know I didn't see it in. I'll just have to work through the rest.

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Dec 03, 2016, 07:57 am #6 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2016, 07:58 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Dec 02, 2016, 08:13 pm
It has to be a DVD one because I wasn't born until '88.

Ooooh... you young-un! (Seriously; my son is older than you, CH, so thank you for making me feel ancient! ;) ;D ;D ;D)

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Dec 02, 2016, 08:13 pm
They are lovely journals.

They are indeed! Are those journals still available? And if they are, do you have a source for them? (Maybe they have a web site? Moreover, if they do, hopefully they would ship to the US.)

In your hunt for the story where the 1st Doctor uses this journal, you can mark off "The Dalek Invasion of Earth". 99 percent of that story takes place outside of the TARDIS, and what little we see of the inside is the Doctor's farewell speech to Susan ("One day, I shall come back...").

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Cardinal Hordriss

They are available on ebay in various sizes from traderirsa who does ship to the US.

I think we can also rule out The Time Meddler and The Web Planet.

My memory for sci-fi trivia, even shows/films I didn't like, is normally amazing but all I can remember is that I bought it after seeing Hartnell with one. I could have sworn it was in The Web Planet but after watching it last night it seems there is no journal of any sort in that.

galacticprobe

Dec 04, 2016, 06:19 am #8 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2016, 06:26 am by galacticprobe
Thanks for the reply, CH! I found the seller. There's quite a selection of journals to choose from, and different sizes. (One I think my wife will really like, so you may have helped me find her Hogswatch present! I was at a total loss. Thanks! :D)

Yes; we can rule out "The Time Meddler". The only TARDIS interior scene (the Doctor's TARDIS anyway) was at the very beginning and most of it centered around getting Steven cleaned up and convinced that he was inside a time machine.

It's been a while since I've seen "The Web Planet", and I can remember there were a good number of scenes inside the TARDIS, but I can't remember a journal in use. The Astral Map, yes, but I can't remember if the Doctor ever consulted or wrote anything in a journal. (There's another DVD I have to add to this ever-growing list of Classic stories of mine.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"