Apr 19, 2024, 08:18 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Twelfth Doctor Ring - 3D Print

Started by The14thDr, Aug 30, 2016, 12:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Aug 30, 2016, 12:27 pm Last Edit: Aug 30, 2016, 12:51 pm by The14thDr
This afternoon I started working on my 3D model of the Twelfth Doctor's ring. Once the model is complete, I will make the ring available for download in a variety of sizes, so that anyone can choose their size and 3D print it.
The first step for the project, was, of course, to model the two rings. I did this by taking a solid cylinder, and placing a slightly smaller cylinder in the centre. I turned the smaller cylinder into a "hole" shape and grouped the two shapes together.
ring1.jpgring2.jpg

I then duplicated the ring once, giving me the two rings that Peter Capaldi wears during filming.
rings.jpg

Finally, I modelled the part of the ring that holds the gemstone. I did this by taking another cylinder shape and embedding a smaller cylinder into the centre. However, this time around I didn't cut the hole all the way through the centre. This creates a platform for the gemstone to sit on, which is roughly 1mm deep (for this I'm going on the 10mm acrylic craft gem that I have next to me.)
ring3.jpg

Then I added a smaller cylinder to the bottom of the gemstone.
ring5.jpg

Finally for today, here's a quick mock-up of the ring so far. The part where the gemstone is supposed to be looks a little oversized in this photo, but that's because the ring size I used is relatively small, compared to the one that Peter Capaldi wears (the ring here is size 6, and after a quick extrapolation from the reference photos, I would say that Capaldi's ring is a size 11 or 12, but that's just pure conjecture :P)
ring4.jpg

Aside from a couple of minor adjustments that may need to be made in the future, this 3D model is more or less completed.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

The14thDr

Hey guys.

I just have one question about the rings themselves.

Is the ring size the diameter of the inside of the ring (i.e. the hole though the middle) or the diameter of the entire ring (including the width of the band)?

galacticprobe

Sep 01, 2016, 03:29 am #2 Last Edit: Sep 01, 2016, 03:34 am by galacticprobe
I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's the inside diameter. Anytime I've been measured for a ring (high school class ring, wedding bands), the jewelers used one of those ring size things on my finger (lots of rings on a large loop that they would slide on your finger one by one). When they found one that was just snug enough to slip on, but then had to be wiggled off (and not fall off on its own), that was the size they told me I needed, so I'm guessing it was the inside diameter since that's what had to slip over my finger.

Rings can be various thicknesses; my class ring was really thick and asymmetrical with some spots being over 1/4th inch (6.35mm) thick, but my wedding band was just about 1/16th inch (about 1.6mm) thick all round, but both were the same size. So the measurement must be for the inside diameter.

I hope this helps (and I hope I've guessed right, not being a jeweler).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Dino. The inside of the ring makes sense. (Looks like I need to update my 3D model for a size 6 ring.) ;D

The14thDr

Sep 16, 2016, 05:34 pm #4 Last Edit: Jan 28, 2017, 07:24 pm by The14thDr
Today I made some minor adjustments to the 3D model for my Twelfth Doctor's ring.
capaldi ring.jpg

childofgallifrey

Looking good 14th, but one question, have you checked the number of sides of your circle? Because on sketchup they are not circles, but polygons. Unless you make a ridiculous number of sides on the polygon it will print with flat sides.
Sad really, isn't it? People spend all their time making nice things, and other people come along and break them.~The 2nd Doctor

The14thDr

Sep 19, 2016, 06:00 pm #6 Last Edit: Sep 25, 2016, 06:20 am by The14thDr
The 3D modelling software I use (TinkerCAD) uses polygons instead of circles for whatever reason. So the program says that the shape is a circle, but in fact it has around 20 sides. ???

I used a circle on my 3D printed TARDIS key, however, and even though the model was a polygon, it printed as a circle just fine.

The14thDr

A quick update Time Lords and Ladies. ;D

I'm hoping to send the model off for 3D printing this week, to see if there are any problems with the design that need to be fixed in order for it to be 3D printed properly. If there aren't any bugs with the model, I will begin resizing the ring and making it available for download sometime next week.
The reason for this is because if there are any problems, it will be easier for me to fix just one file, rather than going through the half a dozen different sized rings and fixing them all individually.

Photos soon.

The14thDr

Oct 02, 2016, 03:29 pm #8 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2016, 03:30 pm by The14thDr
Another quick update.....

The ring has been 3D printed and will hopefully be delivered sometime either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Photos soon. ;D

The14thDr

Oct 04, 2016, 02:49 pm #9 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2016, 02:51 pm by The14thDr
Today the parts for my 3D printed ring arrived. Due to tolerances from the printer, however, the ring is a fraction too tight to fit on my finger, and the part where the gem sits is slightly smaller than 10mm on the inside, so the gem will need to be modified in order to fit. However, I'm hoping that a quick sanding will solve these problems. 8)
12th_dr_ring_print.JPG

And I couldn't resist a quick mock-up to see what the ring would look like once assembled. ;D
12th_dr_ring_print(1).JPG

Today I will begin the sanding and painting of the ring, so expect another update sometime soon.

galacticprobe

Oct 05, 2016, 05:00 am #10 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2016, 05:00 am by galacticprobe
I'm sure the sanding on the inside of the ring will solve the fit problem, at least for your finger. As for the jewel, looking at where it's supposed to go, you can see the "sides" of the polygon from the printing. If you have a way of sanding those flat spots so the sides of that recess is a bit more round, then the jewel might just fit. It might be tight, but then you'll have to worry even less about it falling out after it's glued in place. (A steady hand with a Dremel and a fine bit should do the trick for that. Then you wouldn't have to worry about one side of the jewel looking flat if you're not able to sand it symmetrically, although a nail file might work well to sand down the jewel if needed.)

And of course, if you ever get that sinister urge ( ;)) to tweak the design for a Version 2, you'll know what areas to make a little larger so when the ring bits are printed, everything will fit as it should. But on the whole, I would say this one also deserves a bit of
Envy(small).jpg
just like your locks and keys!

Brilliant work, 14th!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Dino. The plastic that was used to 3D print all of my pieces seems to be really tough, so it is actually really difficult to sand or file any of the rings. However, I shall persevere in the name of all that is Time Lord! ;D

My only problem with filing the part where the gem goes is that the walls around the edge of the gem are extremely thin, so sanding them would be very difficult without fear of breaking those walls.

And you mention a Version 2? ;) Well, not including postage and start-up fees, the materials needed to print the ring cost very little, so I may look into this.

P.S. For anyone wanting to download the 3D model for themselves, the only reason I haven't begun resizing the rings yet is because I still need to work out all of the "kinks" in the model (such as the part where the gem goes being too small, etc.) Thanks for your patience. ;D

galacticprobe

Oct 06, 2016, 04:29 am #12 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016, 04:42 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Oct 05, 2016, 05:40 am
Thanks Dino. The plastic that was used to 3D print all of my pieces seems to be really tough, so it is actually really difficult to sand or file any of the rings. However, I shall persevere in the name of all that is Time Lord! ;D

You're welcome, 14th. And I had no idea that 3-D printer plastic was so hard! Sounds like a Dremel (the variable speed kind) would definitely be a handy tool to have for use on that stuff.

My only problem with filing the part where the gem goes is that the walls around the edge of the gem are extremely thin, so sanding them would be very difficult without fear of breaking those walls.

Yeah, I noticed that, and thought about it again earlier today. But that's why I mentioned a "steady hand with a Dremel and a fine bit". If you like to live dangerously (big "if"), then you could always give it a try. But the safer way to go, of course, would be to file down the sides of the gem.

And you mention a Version 2? ;) Well, not including postage and start-up fees, the materials needed to print the ring cost very little, so I may look into this.

Well, it was the way you mentioned the recess for the gem and the ring's fit being too small because of how the printer tolerances, and then saying "...expect another update sometime soon" that made me think you were working on adjusting for the printer tolerances, which would essentially be a "Version 2". My misinterpretation there.

P.S. For anyone wanting to download the 3D model for themselves, the only reason I haven't begun resizing the rings yet is because I still need to work out all of the "kinks" in the model (such as the part where the gem goes being too small, etc.)

Well, then again, this kind-of-sort-of sounds like you're working on a Version 2, to get things right before making the files available to everyone. ;)

Thanks for your patience. ;D

Thank you for going through all of the trouble of doing this for everyone that wants one of these rings. (And as they say, great things are worth waiting for! :))

Dino.

The14thDr

Oct 06, 2016, 03:12 pm #13 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016, 03:15 pm by The14thDr
Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 06, 2016, 04:29 am
You're welcome, 14th. And I had no idea that 3-D printer plastic was so hard! Sounds like a Dremel (the variable speed kind) would definitely be a handy tool to have for use on that stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion, Dino. I shall have to check my dad's toolbox for a dremel, but I should think he has one somewhere.

Yeah, I noticed that, and thought about it again earlier today. But that's why I mentioned a "steady hand with a Dremel and a fine bit". If you like to live dangerously (big "if"), then you could always give it a try. But the safer way to go, of course, would be to file down the sides of the gem.

Thanks again. I shall make a start on sanding the gem tonight. ;D

Well, it was the way you mentioned the recess for the gem and the ring's fit being too small because of how the printer tolerances, and then saying "...expect another update sometime soon" that made me think you were working on adjusting for the printer tolerances, which would essentially be a "Version 2". My misinterpretation there.

My apologies, Dino, I should have worded that better. I meant this in the sense of, "It's funny you should mention that about a Version 2, as that's exactly what I'm planning on doing..." ;D I just worded the sentence badly. I am currently working on resizing the model for a version 2, so expect an update on that soon.

Well, then again, this kind-of-sort-of sounds like you're working on a Version 2, to get things right before making the files available to everyone. ;)

Yep, I simply worded my sentence badly. ;)

Thank you for going through all of the trouble of doing this for everyone that wants one of these rings. (And as they say, great things are worth waiting for! :))

Dino.

Thank you Dino. ;D I can say the very same thing about the wonderful work you have done replicating the St. John's Ambulance stickers and the Encyclopedia Gallifreya bottle labels. :D

The14thDr

After enlarging the file for the rings by around 10%, I sent it off to be 3D printed.

Here's the V.2 ring, painted gold and ready to be assembled:
rings_painted.JPG

More updates soon.