Apr 16, 2024, 09:59 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Unknown Boxes

Started by realboxmike, Aug 13, 2016, 11:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

realboxmike

A couple of more unknown Boxes to try and identify.........Unknown R Div.jpgWOMAN.jpgINTERIOR.jpg

hb88banzai

Aug 13, 2016, 12:16 pm #1 Last Edit: Aug 13, 2016, 02:37 pm by hb88banzai
Again, incredible pictures here Mike!

Top is a Mark 2, and might be the Box that was in the classroom of the Police Training College in Hendon before the war (moved outside when it was reopened postwar). It was originally in mid Mark 2 livery (I have a good photo of it from the opening of the College that I still have to scan), but here would be after conversion to Mark 3 sign standards and with newer phone. Looks like it's indoors here anyway, and with the fire alarm/call pillar next to it appears to be a demonstration or training session. All the Exhibition Boxes we have photos of were Mark 1s (eg, Radiolympia), and concrete Boxes were a bit too heavy for such work anyway, so argues more for classroom than exhibit.

Not sure where the other two were, but both are Mark 3s, and the bottom photo looks to have been taken during the same shoot as the one that's in Bunker's "The Rise and Fall of the Police Box", but from a slightly different angle. Absolutely wonderful to have a clear version of it. It's very late in its career, though, as many of the clear window panes have been replaced by pebbled ones. Very cool to see the reflection of the St. John sign in the glossy paint of the pillar 8).

scruffy57

Could the second one possibly be at Figges Marsh Mitcham Surrey?
It was on the side of common ground which looks the case here..

Scruffy

hb88banzai

Dec 15, 2016, 06:55 am #3 Last Edit: Dec 15, 2016, 06:59 am by hb88banzai
Don't think so. I've got some aerial pics of it somewhere, and don't think it matches up, but I'll have a go at finding them to make sure. Also, the one with the Police Woman is distinctly a Mark 3, while the one at Figges Marsh (W27 - London Road, east side 20 yards north of Streatham Road), having been commissioned in 1932, would have been a Mark 2 unless replaced by the early part of the war.

I actually think that photo might be our old friend C64, the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3746. There is another picture that had been running around for awhile that I'm pretty sure was this Box as well, dating from the late 1940s --

pb-pc.gif

I was finally able to obtain a good copy of this photo (in the queue to be scanned), and it looks like a "C" on the constable's collar, with C64 being the only Box in C Division. The fence also does look like an earlier version of the one visible in the 1950s pics.

As to the one with the Police Woman, the fence details (construction, height, etc) and the location and shape of the tree seem to match those at C64's position. With current streetview pics it's hard to be sure due to the way the tree's grown in the intervening half century, but I think it's a likely match.