News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Old Police Box Pictures

Started by chriskingbees, Jun 26, 2009, 02:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

domvar

Quote from: Dalekoracle on Mar 13, 2012, 11:30 am

sm img419.jpg

Is it just me or does this one seem to have Glasgow corners ?

chriskingbees

Glasgow corners? Not places to hang around on, I'd have thought  ;D Interesting though and as a "Mark 1" configuration, it certainly has "Glasgow" sign boxes.

KB

Dalekoracle

There were a fair few photo's of Glasgow boxes on file there (plus a couple of dozen of the Sheffield / Edinburgh types too) so maybe this ones slipped through the net? I did look twice as, my understanding of Glasgow Boxes is that the right window on the side of a glasgow box usually is a little smaller than the left. (so Dalek has highlighted to me in the past) and whilst the signage hinted as Glasgow, the windows said met. (that and there was a Met copyright stamp on the reverse, but no location)

So might this be a scottish box?

Mark D

Mark

Mar 13, 2012, 02:57 pm #138 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 03:19 pm by Mark
Looking at the corner posts they do look like Glasgow one but I do believe the are normal Met ones. The signage however is very much Glasgow in appearance.

Now this one interests me for two reasons. First the first window to the left of the officer is a very different type to what I've seen before and secondly the sign boxes.

The roof looks similar to the Crich style but the sign boxes are more of a Barnet style and look as though they have been recently fitted an left unpainted?

*edit* that didn't quite work how I thought it would, I was expecting the picture to appear on screen. The picture does show up if you click it though.

Dammit, can't figure this out sorry! Basically it is the picture of the box with it's door open and a bobby with a flat cap using the phone. Third to last picture posted.

Dalekoracle

Mar 13, 2012, 03:08 pm #139 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 03:08 pm by Dalekoracle
I get a page error message when i click through. Can you re-link?

domvar

Quote from: Dalekoracle on Mar 13, 2012, 02:26 pm
There were a fair few photo's of Glasgow boxes on file there (plus a couple of dozen of the Sheffield / Edinburgh types too) so maybe this ones slipped through the net? I did look twice as, my understanding of Glasgow Boxes is that the right window on the side of a glasgow box usually is a little smaller than the left. (so Dalek has highlighted to me in the past) and whilst the signage hinted as Glasgow, the windows said met. (that and there was a Met copyright stamp on the reverse, but no location)

So might this be a scottish box?

Mark D

I think it is a met box as the lamp and phone are of the correct type and it has the correct number of recess' at the front.  I have a picture of another Mk1 with these signs at home I'll put it up when I get in.  I think this is what they looked like when first put up and then were   renovated later to have the POLICE public call Box signs.

petewilson

Hi Mark,

A couple of questions (One slightly off this thread!)
1) On your comprehensive list which boxes are the furthest out of London (especially the west side!)
2) Did any of the Met boxes exist outside the M25 area?
Over the years various people have told me that there were "Tardis-type" Police Boxes in towns such as High Wycombe, Bracknell and Slough!
The only boxes I've seen pictures of for the thames Valley Police are the "shed-type"  ???

Pete

P.S. Loving all these Photo's (Yes it is similar to discovering a missing Doctor Who episode!)   ;D

Dalekoracle

Hey Pete

Not yet had a chance to look at the locations on a map. I need to work it all out! With over 600 to place its gonna take some time.

Did any exist outside the m25? Very possibly. Theres a pic on the forum (very probably earlier in this thread! Its certainly on Facebook!) of a box in Slough!

And thanks for the "missing Episode comparisons. I actually thought a lot of this information was pretty much out there in the public domain, especially as it was mentioned in another thread that other people had been to the archive before me, and it had been pretty well plundered.

Personally, I'm loving all this.

On a sad note, heres the last of the "new" box images - there were quite a few in the file but most (if not all) others have already appeared on the forum threads.....

sm img431.jpg

domvar

Mar 13, 2012, 06:14 pm #143 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 06:40 pm by domvar
CopyofCarshaltonmk1II.jpg
reallifedinkytoy.jpg

here you go mk 1 met box with Police sign there is the wood green one further back in this thread but that has the spherical lamp on it.

domvar

Mar 13, 2012, 06:17 pm #144 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 09:27 pm by domvar
Quote from: petewilson on Mar 13, 2012, 04:54 pm
Hi Mark,

1) On your comprehensive list which boxes are the furthest out of London (especially the west side!)
Over the years various people have told me that there were "Tardis-type" Police Boxes in towns such as High Wycombe, Bracknell and Slough!
The only boxes I've seen pictures of for the thames Valley Police are the "shed-type"  ???

Pete

P.S. Loving all these Photo's (Yes it is similar to discovering a missing Doctor Who episode!)   ;D

There was one in south chingford :-

southchingford_S640008.jpg
southchingford_S640001.jpg

Also

You know when you think you have a theory all sussed and then something comes allong and blows it out of the water I give you a mk3 with air raid siren :-\

Highgate Road small.jpg

lorisarvendu

Mar 13, 2012, 10:21 pm #145 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 10:44 pm by lorisarvendu
Quote from: petewilson on Mar 13, 2012, 04:54 pm
Hi Mark,

The only boxes I've seen pictures of for the thames Valley Police are the "shed-type"  ???

Pete

P.S. Loving all these Photo's (Yes it is similar to discovering a missing Doctor Who episode!)   ;D

As I plough my way through the Locations list (I estimate I am about 25% of the way through and have just reached J Division),  I can provide at least one example of a box north of the M25:

"Crooked Mile (Nazeing Road), west side 300 yards south of Holyfield Road - Waltham Abbey"

Another thing I'm noticing is that the further east I go (within reach of German bombers during the Battle of Britain), the more instances there are of boxes being designated "A.R.W Siren" - I'm guessing this means "Air Raid Warden".   A little frisson of history...  Barking and Dagenham are full of them!

Dalekoracle

the great thing is, with the list, we have new targets to seek out! Who will be the first to take a new look at sites like Francis Frith? LOL (no box at Waltham Abbey on there! Darn!)

Mark D

Teppic

Mar 13, 2012, 10:51 pm #147 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 10:53 pm by teppic
Quote from: domvar on Mar 13, 2012, 06:17 pm

Also

You know when you think you have a theory all sussed and then something comes allong and blows it out of the water I give you a mk3 with air raid siren :-\

Highgate Road small.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much.The Bedford van on the left of the picture has a registration number ending in 'F', which dates the picture at about 1967/68 at the earliest. Most likely they just never removed the air raid siren after the war.

petewilson

Hi,

Could anyone forward me the link to the Slough Police Box Photo please?
I can't find it on here anywhere  ???

Pete

Quote from: Dalekoracle on Mar 13, 2012, 05:09 pm
Hey Pete

Not yet had a chance to look at the locations on a map. I need to work it all out! With over 600 to place its gonna take some time.

Did any exist outside the m25? Very possibly. Theres a pic on the forum (very probably earlier in this thread! Its certainly on Facebook!) of a box in Slough!

sm img431.jpg

petewilson

Hi All,

I found this Photo which is titled "Slough.JPG" (Posted by Chris)
But I believe it's somewhere on the A4 near Hounslow
is this the one you were talking about?

Pete

Quote from: Dalekoracle on Mar 13, 2012, 05:09 pm
Hey Pete

slough.jpg