Apr 20, 2024, 05:14 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Old Police Box Pictures

Started by chriskingbees, Jun 26, 2009, 02:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

domvar

Was there any info about how many boxes were wood / concrete or the contractors who built them ?

Dalekoracle

Not in the file I saw - and believe me, I did look!
BUT... thats just one file. As mentioned earlier, theres EIGHT other files in deep storage and they will be pulled and sent to the Archive in time. When they do, I'll be notified and will go back in.

Two more photos...

The Park Lane box
sm Park Lane.jpg

A policeman doing what policemen do! No idea where!
sm Policeman and box 2.jpg

Mark D

domvar

Mar 12, 2012, 10:26 pm #122 Last Edit: Mar 12, 2012, 10:34 pm by domvar
Interesting to note that all of these pics show Barnet type boxes it's looking like the Crich / mile end were the exception rather than the rule.

lorisarvendu

Welcome to this week's edition of "Where's My Box?"...  ;D

At the risk of being sadly geeky I'd go so far as to say the impact of this is up there with discovery of a Missing Episode or two.  In Tardis Builder circles we're almost looking at Tenth Planet Episode 4 and the whole of the Web of Fear lol.

(Oh, and If you see any shots of the box at Springfield Mount/Edgeware Road...)

galacticprobe

Mar 13, 2012, 05:39 am #124 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 05:41 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: domvar on Mar 12, 2012, 10:26 pm
Interesting to note that all of these pics show Barnet type boxes it's looking like the Crich / mile end were the exception rather than the rule.

It's also interesting to note that in Dalekoracle's top photo the PTO door is hinged on the corner post side and has a blue frame, while the box in the lower photo has the door hinged on the center divider side and has a white frame.

Two boxes of the same type, done up in different styles. Too bad we can't see the windows in that upper photo to see what color frames they had. However in both photos you can see the top sign boxes look like they reach almost all the way to the corners (like Bill pointed out on the box in that photo of the goon doing blasphemous things to that helpless box!).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lorisarvendu

Just to let you all know, I've started transcribing the 80-odd Police Box/Post Location image files provided by Dalekoracle into document form (I tried OCR but it couldn't cope with the columns). As I'm a 60wpm touch typist, unless someone else has a far quicker way of doing it, be patient and I shouldn't be that long (I've already finished 'D' Division).

I'm typing it up as a table in Word to begin with, but I'll convert it to RTF/CSV/PDF/TXT format (or whatever anyone wants) as well.  I guess the same copyright rules apply, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Scarfwearer

theforumcandotables
ifyousendmethe file
Icouldconvertitfor native use here

Crispin

Mark

Mar 13, 2012, 09:31 am #127 Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 09:34 am by Mark
wow what an amazing start!

The Couldson box is an odd thing, not quite a "real" box but not a prototype version either? It reminds me of one of those half hearted police box models that sometimes pop up on ebay.

Dave, can't beat 60 wpm, especially on this computer as some keys are very tempremental  :-\ Out of interest, on the list what are the details for box 40 and what is the box number of Barnet Bypass box?

Can't wait to see what gems appear next, might not be as productive at work today (too busy keep checking this thread!)  ;D

Great work Mark, and thanks for sharing.

Scarfy, I thought for a while as to why you would post an empty grid that looks like the police box list. It was only because I caught my mouse button at prescisely the same time as it was hovering over the said grid that I found your "secret message"  ;D

lorisarvendu

Quote from: Dalekoracle on Mar 12, 2012, 07:25 pm
and a lovely photo of the original Hendon Box
sm Hendon.jpg

Mark D

Yup, that's the one I saw!  Lovely (not) brown colour. And I'd swear that's the same policeman!

From that photo I'm half expecting a pram with a bomb to roll over any second...

Dalekoracle

The feedback has been amazing. Thanks chaps.
The original Coulsdon Box is a most curious beast. No signage at all! Once the Location List is uploaded, we might be able to make sense of what it is and its history.

The only thing i am concerned about at this point is that no one uses the information (lists, images etc) for any profit or personal gain, and certainly for in any print format, because it'll be my a*se that will be getting a kicking from the met.
So if we can agree to agree that we are all happy with that then I'll sleep soundly in my bed.

Dave, thanks for typing duties! I was dreading the prospect of sitting there tapping away at the keyboard and I am not the worlds fastest (or accurate) typist - though I did consider resizing the original scans... though i don't think the quality of image would have been all that great.

Heres a couple more boxes to tickle your collective fancies..... and i have no idea where these were taken!

sm Policeman and box.jpg

sm img419.jpg

Enjoy!

mark D

domvar

You have my agreement.

Problem is enforcing it as the forum is visible to non members.

Could the mods maybe make a section that is not public or searchable to protect this sort of thing.

I know that Anson had issues with his sketch up plans being used to make a 3d model and then flogged on ebay.

Just a suggestion but maybe move this stuff to metbox reference and lock that section down ?

lorisarvendu

That's a very good point, and an important one.  As I understand it this forum is public (though time-shifted) so eventually anonymous viewers will grab these photos. If they then get out into the wild, not only will it completely undo any goodwill dalekoracle has built up with the Met, it could (worse-case scenario here) involve the forum owners ending up on the wrong end of legal action by the Metropollitan Police.  I suspect that dalekoracle's friends at the Met haven't thought this through either. 

Perhaps if the "old police box pictures" section is restricted to forum members, as you say, and then perhaps all forum members accept a agreement not to re-use any material from here?

domvar

TBH due to the legal case the only people who could kick off over the copyright are the BBC and I think they would be more upset about the TARDIS stuff than the original Police Box stuff.

Like Oracle has said as long as no one is profiting....

Dalekoracle

actually, all the info is copyrighted to the Met and not the BBC. And they said (as per my post yesterday) that they were OK as long as the images and info did not appear in print or used for profit. You can tell its worrying me a little.
I'm relying on the goodwill of you guys  :)
If the thread could be restricted to members or moved to the Met section (which I'd not spotted!) that might be better.
Last thing i want is to be awoken by Plod in the middle of the night, having my door bashed in and my collar felt because someones flogging the info or has included it in a book.
not that it ever would happen of course. But you never know LOL!
;D
Mark D

Dalekoracle

and another couple....

sm img428.jpg

sm img430.jpg

Again, no idea where these are!

mark D